Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions on some 997 turbos I'm considering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with TBarrow. Go for the one you want, and don't look at the car as an investment. I went for a cab turbo, because that's what I wanted. To me, cabs are much more enjoyable for good weather driving, and even in winters, the convertible roof holds up fine. I've been driving my turbo this winter with snow tires, and the heat and sound insulation is just fine. On the other hand, if you like to track your cars, then the coupe makes more sense.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of my toy cars have been either targa or convertible over the last 16 years up until my current ride, a 12' ZR1. I really miss the open top in the fall and spring but not so much in the winter and summer when it's too cold or hot to enjoy. I prefer the convertible when the weather is nice, but I prefer the body lines of the coupe and I had a silver 911 turbo coupe poster on my wall as a kid.

Some of my co-workers have been encouraging me to come along on club track events. This sounds fun, but if I started going to the track, it would only be once or twice a year. It's nice to have the track option, but on the other hand there are more sunny days in the year than track events.

Color is a factor too. Silver is an easier color to keep looking clean day to day and still looks good in the sun. White pops even more in the sun but is more work to keep clean.

I've had 3 Porsches in the past and loved each of them, but I picked up the ZR1 when I was itching for more power. I'm going back to Porsche now mainly for the back seats so my whole family can enjoy the ride. My son is a car nut in training but he's not old enough to ride up front yet. My wife can't even ride along unless we have a baby sitter. The 997 turbo won't be as fast as my ZR1, but it should be fast enough and will still allow me to but a junior seat in the back.

I think I could be happy with a coupe or cab really... each to varying degrees depending on the time of the year
Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Covfefe
All of my toy cars have been either targa or convertible over the last 16 years up until my current ride, a 12' ZR1. I really miss the open top in the fall and spring but not so much in the winter and summer when it's too cold or hot to enjoy. I prefer the convertible when the weather is nice, but I prefer the body lines of the coupe and I had a silver 911 turbo coupe poster on my wall as a kid.

Some of my co-workers have been encouraging me to come along on club track events. This sounds fun, but if I started going to the track, it would only be once or twice a year. It's nice to have the track option, but on the other hand there are more sunny days in the year than track events.

Color is a factor too. Silver is an easier color to keep looking clean day to day and still looks good in the sun. White pops even more in the sun but is more work to keep clean.

I've had 3 Porsches in the past and loved each of them, but I picked up the ZR1 when I was itching for more power. I'm going back to Porsche now mainly for the back seats so my whole family can enjoy the ride. My son is a car nut in training but he's not old enough to ride up front yet. My wife can't even ride along unless we have a baby sitter. The 997 turbo won't be as fast as my ZR1, but it should be fast enough and will still allow me to but a junior seat in the back.

I think I could be happy with a coupe or cab really... each to varying degrees depending on the time of the year
I agree the lines of a coupe are much more aesthetically pleasing than the cab, but on a nice warm day, I just don't think you can beat the feel of open air driving. From May through September, provided no rain, I drive with the top down. First world problems.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:39 PM
BigBen97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any interest in Cobalt Blue? 😬
Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Covfefe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having 3 p-cars.. I always thought the 997 turbo would be the ultimate Porsche and perfect car for a small family. After test driving the 997 TT cab and a low mileage 14' Nissan GTR black edition back to back (for the exact same price), I was blown away by the GTR. As a die hard manual guy for the last 20 years I never thought I'd enjoy an auto. I had a manual 300zx tt for years that I loved, but never even considered the GTR since it was auto only. After driving a dual clutch car, I get it now. I just tried launch mode this weekend and it was like nothing else I've ever experienced. It's definitely not boring. I've never driven a Porsche with PDK, but I'll bet now it is just as good.

The GTR has bolt-ons and a tune so it feels like it is easily making as much power as my ZR1, but it does a much better job of putting the power to the ground with the AWD and it's always in the right gear. The 997 turbo felt fast, but not as fast as my ZR1 or the GTR. Also, I understand now why so many people complain about the sound of the 997 turbo stock. It's not bad.. just not great. Definitely more comfortable when cruising on the freeway, but when you get up on it.. it sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than a sports car. Maybe it would be better with an aftermarket exhaust... but my three NA porches, while much slower had a better soul tingling sound with or without PSE. The GTR screams like an NA Porsche, but you can also hear the turbos spool, blow off recirc, downshift blips etc. All of the tech and customizable engine monitoring screens on the GTR are pretty cool too.

I still think the 997 turbo is the better looking car, and I deeply respect it's heritage. It's a timeless beauty and sure to go down as a classic. The GTR isn't much to look at and something I never thought I'd be into, but I'm still pretty thrilled with it. I still have ZR1 level of power, but with AWD traction, reasonably sized back seats for kids and a large trunk. Maybe I'll have another P-car at some point in the future, but not today. Thanks for the help though everyone. Rennlist is a great community.

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on some 997 turbos I'm considering.