Sponsored by:

997.1 turbo wheels question

Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 997.1 turbo wheels question

Hi guys,

I don't particularly like the 997.1 turbo wheels. After learning more about them, they seem quite nice. Forged, light, Fuchs made. Three things is really like.

I'll probably warm to the look, like I have the D90 wheels. Is there a secondary market for the 997.1 turbo wheels in nice shape, or are they worthless?

Have many of you guys that have another wheel on you cars, sold your sets, or do you keep them?

Here's a pic:
Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 PM
exduluthian
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with you about not liking the look of the OEM wheels, but don't know anything about the market for them. I just got my car a week ago, with the stock turbo wheels on the car and a set of very pretty HREs in boxes. It looks like the dealer who sold the car to the PO five years ago bought the HREs, and they were mounted on the car in the advertising pics from that sale (which the PO used in his sale ad!). Anyway, the PO told me he put the OEM wheels on when he shipped the car from his previous residence, because the HREs are light and he felt they were more fragile. I am now trying to decide whether to mount a set of tires on the HREs and mount them, or run the OEM wheels. My decision is complicated by the lousy roads we have in MN. In any event, I will be keeping both sets, because the HREs are so attractive, and the OEMs will allow me or a subsequent owner to return the car to stock.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:09 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by exduluthian
I agree with you about not liking the look of the OEM wheels, but don't know anything about the market for them. I just got my car a week ago, with the stock turbo wheels on the car and a set of very pretty HREs in boxes. It looks like the dealer who sold the car to the PO five years ago bought the HREs, and they were mounted on the car in the advertising pics from that sale (which the PO used in his sale ad!). Anyway, the PO told me he put the OEM wheels on when he shipped the car from his previous residence, because the HREs are light and he felt they were more fragile. I am now trying to decide whether to mount a set of tires on the HREs and mount them, or run the OEM wheels. My decision is complicated by the lousy roads we have in MN. In any event, I will be keeping both sets, because the HREs are so attractive, and the OEMs will allow me or a subsequent owner to return the car to stock.
HRE's most certainly aren't fragile, but I can understand why he might worry about damage to what may be $10K+ wheels (when new)!

Like both of you, I'm not a fan of the OEM wheels of the 997.1 Turbo's. My car came with an aftermarket set, which I've since upgraded to HRE's. I've casually looked at OEM's to use as a backup set and to outfit when I eventually sell the car, so I can sell the HRE's separately, but I never quite got motivated enough to purchase a set. Seems like a nice, near-mint OEM set sells for ~$1K+, though I see people asking $1.5-2K and they seem to sit on the shelf waiting for reality to set in.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:12 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I disposed of mine at a landfill, AKA corvette wheels.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

+1, I purchased a new set of OZ's and I sold my OEM set for $800 with center caps, plus shipping to a RL who will use them as a winter set. They were straight, no curb rash, but had a few nicks from handling and such.and they sold within a few days. And I didn't want them sitting in my garage. I also figured there are plenty of sets on the market in case I sell my 997TT and someone wants OEM wheels .
Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K7TTMIA
+1, I purchased a new set of OZ's and I sold my OEM set for $800 with center caps, plus shipping to a RL who will use them as a winter set. They were straight, no curb rash, but had a few nicks from handling and such.and they sold within a few days .
that seems very cheap. I've seen the wheels and newer tires for around $1600 usually.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 PM
TiAgMC
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking to buy a clean set, let me know what you're thinking and I may buy them off you
Old 03-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

I can’t see the picture but unless you get the 2nd version of the Turbo wheels, they’re not forged but cast from what I read.

Version 2 of Turbo wheels is forged but only a pound or two lighter, so not much different. V1 is the lobster design, v2 is the better looking & more simple i think yet it’s shared across multiple Porsche platforms.

Either way both are heavy as hell... and then you get the GT3 RS wheels and they’re even heavier.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Did not care for them either, so two weeks before delivery of my '09 I had the Champion RF67's in house, Rejex'd and ready to go w/rubber and sensors. Originals still have original OEM delivered rubber on them and are boxed in my warehouse.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I picked up a set for $500, but I think the market is around 1000. They are great winter wheels/track rims etc. Come in handy if you decide to sell car.
c
Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I really like the OEM wheels. I have looked at changing them loads of time, but the price to change for a decent set is really high.
Not that this is the reason for not changing but it helps hahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 turbo wheels question