Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Manual GT Silver Cab 79,900

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

All metallic paint jobs specifically silvers have what is called “Paint Flop” look it up. Basically it has to do with the amount of reducer mixed with the paint and the how the metallic particles lay on the surface. The paint can look identical from a perpendicular vantage point. But when viewed at an angle, the paint reflects back either darker or lighter. It has to do with how far away the metallic particle sits in the base coat, the allignment. The case is looking at the surface as close to perpendicular as possible. The manner in which the painter sprays the coating is also as important. Silver is the toughest color to match. Yes I do agree that a perfect match from plastic to metal surfaces almost never matches. I have seen this on brand new Porsche silver finishes. Maybe it is the lighting who knows. I would get a paint meter or something.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
All metallic paint jobs specifically silvers have what is called “Paint Flop” look it up. Basically it has to do with the amount of reducer mixed with the paint and the how the metallic particles lay on the surface. The paint can look identical from a perpendicular vantage point. But when viewed at an angle, the paint reflects back either darker or lighter. It has to do with how far away the metallic particle sits in the base coat, the allignment. The case is looking at the surface as close to perpendicular as possible. The manner in which the painter sprays the coating is also as important. Silver is the toughest color to match. Yes I do agree that a perfect match from plastic to metal surfaces almost never matches. I have seen this on brand new Porsche silver finishes. Maybe it is the lighting who knows. I would get a paint meter or something.
Interesting info. Like I said in the earlier post on your note, definitely not saying you're wrong. It's good to catch it and point it out to any perspective buyers. I know that on Carmon Red, the discrepancy was huge. In certain light, it was alarmingly disparate and i had to confirm with the dealer there was no respray. As another poster said, RAC should chime in.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:43 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

No expert but it’s what I have seen on silvers.

Quick Reply: 09 Manual GT Silver Cab 79,900