Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Wing Actuators DIY? No more hydraulics!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 PM
original
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric Wing Actuators DIY? No more hydraulics!

Hello all. I am hoping to get a better understanding of the 997 or 996 turbo wing electric actuator solution. This post is only intended to learn more about the system and possibly just make one myself since other options are quite expensive and let's face it, the hydraulic systems are horrible.

I’ll start by saying that I noticed that the electric actuators themselves appear to be nothing more than simple 12V motors from companies like GoMotorWorld (gomotorworld.com) or Everest

3" Stroke 3 Inch Heavy Duty Linear Actuator 225lbs 225 Pound Max Lift 12v DC

I noticed that Ferrari and Audi are using GoMotorWorld actuators (click link and scroll to bottom of page) An example actuator would be have similar specs to the following:

Load:200N, Speed 15mm/s, Stroke: 75mm or 3”, Duty Cycle: Maz 25%

They are relatively cheap and appear run about $35-$45 each.

The parts that would seem to require making would be the mounting bracket (actuator to deck lid), mounting connector caps (actuator piston to wing), and wiring/connectors. I've seen some with the bottom lug ground off and early versions with the bottom lug left on.

I can’t imagine that it would be difficult to make the first two (mounting bracket and wing connector). I haven’t messed with the electronics yet, but I think this would be a pretty simple system. Obviously others (I won’t name names or companies here) have developed and tested such a system. It seems that such companies are simply using similar actuators and painting their logo on them.

It would seem to me that a lot of money could be saved here doing a DIY, given that the actuators are readily available for under $100 for a pair. I would think the brackets would be pretty easy to make (first 3D print, then CNC a set).

It looks like a certain company decided to go with a simple clamp on bracket, which clamps to the actuator. I think with a little work, this can be done for under $300 and possibly under $200 as a home DIY. I think there could be a market for someone to just sell the mounting brackets and wiring (really, who cares if there is a logo re-painted on the actuator!). Then go on ebay and buy the same actuators.

I am going to try a very simple system using the same readily available actuators. If anyone else has already done this, please post your experience. I’d like to know if you ran into any problems with lift timing or making the brackets. Who knows, I could be way off here, but in theory and on paper, this doesn’t look that complicated.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM
original
Rennlist Member

The Midwest Motion actuators look pretty good too. http://www.midwestmotion.com and select their 12V application.

DESIGN FEATURES:
IP65 INGRESS PROTECTION
LOW NOISE DESIGN
ZINC ALLOY HOUSING
ALUMINUM OUTER TUBE
PERMANENTLY LUBRICATED
ACME SCREW (ANTI-BACKDRIVING)
ENHANCED CORROSION RESISTANCE
NON-ROTATING ALUMINUM INNER TUBE
BUILT-IN LIMIT SWITCHES, BOTH ENDS OF TRAVEL
Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

There's a guy who's made a business of making electric rams for 996/7 turbos. I seem to recall there's a bit of a trick with respect to the microswitch(es) which confirm wing position and keeping things error free. But I agree, the actuators themselves seem pretty affordable relative to the cost of a drop in system, factory hydraulic or otherwise.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Good luck on the project, and please do keep the thread updated if you go for it. The "other company" you reference posts here sometimes and might try to discourage you but having a DIY option for the industrious among us would be nice.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Innovating and customizing DIY projects on my own, I love projects like this . Can't wait to see some progress
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a great plan. Keep us posted.

I am always amazed at how much gouging goes on to hold a wing up, or move it Even the guy who developed the (Put a bolt in to hold it up) wanting $150+

Best of luck to you.

DC
Old 02-25-2018, 03:50 AM
pepespeed
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@original. While I have not needed an elec. actuator on my 997.1 TT, as the hydraulic unit works, I have used such an actuator on the engine lid of my Beck Speeder (3" full vertical stroke) and it works perfect. The key is figuring out the bracket and attachment point for the piston. With regard to the electrical, a simple two pole switch to reverse the DC current polarity does the trick to raise and lower the piston.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:41 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the guy. Took quite a lot of design, prototyping and testing work to figure it out. I'll be watching this thread quite closely as well.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 AM
original
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by therock88
Sounds like a great plan. Keep us posted.

I am always amazed at how much gouging goes on to hold a wing up, or move it Even the guy who developed the (Put a bolt in to hold it up) wanting $150+

Best of luck to you.

DC
therock88: Agreed! That's why I decided to look into it. It's a few shop class brackets, some first year engineering student circuitry, and throw in a Chinese linear actuator. Even the "investment protectors" (rubber boots) are readily available for about $10-$15 online.
Amazon Rubber Actuator Boot Amazon Rubber Actuator Boot
Ebay RubberActuator Boot

I will provide my best estimate on actual build cost later, but for now just picture Mark Cuban sitting in his leather Shark Tank chair saying "you can easily mark this up 10,000%."
Old 02-25-2018, 10:05 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Or, remove the whole mechanism, trash it and just get the GT-2 wing!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is unfortunate that the oem hydraulics are a consumable. I had mine rebuilt with upgraded seals and works well so far.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

subscribed...
Old 02-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Or, remove the whole mechanism, trash it and just get the GT-2 wing!
Heck, I just wish aero kits were still available.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks like similar drive actuators.. Waterjet or lazercut a mounting block. The top wing mount is easier on the 997TT vs the 996TT

Last edited by Kevin; 02-25-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM
original
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kevin! I Have plenty of pictures of the "clamps" or "brackets" and have a few ideas for my own design. Here is a good link to a video to how the actuators work internally. Note that the limit switches are internal, meaning that the unit shuts off when full stroke is reached (e.g., 75mm/3" or 100mm/4").

There are obviously different specification linear actuators out there. A 200N actuator is about 44lbs (100N would be only 22lbs). Speed ranges all over the place, but I think 30mm-50mm/s would be a good start. For example, 40mm/s would raise a 100mm in about 2.5/s. Anyway more to come....
Also, please let’s not post any current designs that are already on the Market. We’ve all seen what’s out there. This thread is intended to create a DIY at a fraction on the cost. Although publicly available, and certain companies love it when customers post pictures about “look what I just bought and installed”, let’s not post other company pictures, names, or designs here. Thanks!

Last edited by original; 02-25-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Wing Actuators DIY? No more hydraulics!