Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Wing Actuators DIY? No more hydraulics!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I mean someone has already made ones to replace the factory ones so why even bother?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:12 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So here is what SUCKS....This thread started as a discussion by member/enthusiast talking about ideas to do a DIY wing lift using normal hardware for those interested. Now it has deteriorated to a bitch fest and a moral debate and asking why he should or should not do it, and what animals
and environmental elements will be harmed in the process...Blah..blah..blah.

This is no different than others talking about any other DIY or mods or other ideas they may want to share. I should probably pull all of my DIY Spark Plug change, Grills, Intercoolers, etc., because everyone should just go to the dealer or pay some other joker to rape you.

I think it is interesting to see others use whatever their backgrounds are to make whatever solutions they can come up with.

To the OP, I hope you continue to experiment, and am interested in what you come up with. My wing has not failed, but may use your solution just for the hell of it, and the fun of the DIY.

DC
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 PM
original
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

therock88: Not to worry, I'm not dissuaded in the least. It just takes some time. Expect a substantive update next week. And no animals will be harmed :-)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:50 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said Rock. Lots of panties got bunched up over an idea to improve a product.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
I mean someone has already made ones to replace the factory ones so why even bother?
What kind of reasoning is this ? lol
Old 03-01-2018, 08:47 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
What kind of reasoning is this ? lol
He wants a replacement for the hydraulic system of the wing right? well another member on this board has put the time and im sure a good amount of money into figuring out what works and what doesn't. So if messing around with parts and your time adds up to or more than the product that its already proven, then like I said why bother?

Sorry if im looking at it from a different stand point.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:15 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I myself am looking forward to seeing how this DIY turns out. Just because Rennkit came out with their kit does not necessarily mean their kit is the only way to go. original is presenting an alternative path for those who would like to go the DIY route. Props to him for making the attempt. I can't wait to see the full DIY when he's done. Even though my wing is fully functional, I may have more than one choice if I should decide to go this route...
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Man that was a brutal smackdown on kcattorney, well done op.

2ndly, somehow dave has gotten arouns the rennlist rules of selling product as a business without being a sponsor.

Third, his product is like 1800 bux. if someone can design and build something similar for 600, you better believe there will be interest, especially given the actual parts cost.

As for kc, just go back to the 996 forum where you belong
Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 AM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. I've already replaced mine with oem and I did consider the eram kit. I won't do that again. Very interested in this as a DIY.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 AM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last fall, one of the rams on my wing was leaking, sometimes sending a message, and not always retracting (although I could always retract it after turning the car off and on and using button). During that time, my car got bumped from behind and while in the shop, the Porsche mechanic did a replacement of internals on the ram for under $300 and they provided a 2-year warranty on parts and work. Hydraulics now work fine although I know its an imperfect design and will likely need to be addressed in the future. Not saying I wouldn't purchase eram system but I'm not crazy about the looks of the rams or the cost for what it is. I'm more interested in Kevin's recent solution on this or hopeful that someone will develop a much cheaper alternative to eram. I say more power to the OP - this is how things develop and improve - we should be supportive of his endeavors instead of giving him grief. After all, its not costing us anything at this point and may benefit us in the future.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:10 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

original, if you need any advice or tips with anything feel free to reach out to me. I can try and find my notes/diagrams from when I was doing the same thing a year or so back.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

As many have mentioned on this thread. I have a inexpensive repair solution for the hydraulic lift cylinders for those that want the factory system. Email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com or PM for details. The nice thing about my "fix" is that it's future repairable for the cost of orings ( 40 cents)

Original has a great plan for those that want to dump the hydraulics.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Man that was a brutal smackdown on kcattorney, well done op.
This thread has sadly devolved into something that I would expect in the boi-racer forums, not here. Admittedly, KC came from an angry place, most likely out of loyalty to Dave. Dave's product is very good and has helped many people. That being said, I see nothing wrong with a DIY opportunity. But KC's a good guy and an asset to our forums.

2ndly, somehow dave has gotten arouns the rennlist rules of selling product as a business without being a sponsor.
He has been a sponsor of Rennlist for a while. His contract must have just lapsed beginning March. Because literally as of last week he was still a sponsor. Whether he chooses to renew or not is up to him. But even if he doesn't, he's a true asset to the Rennlist community. He is active with DIY's and knowledgeable. He participates in many active discussions with VALUABLE input. Rennkit was a by product of him finding a solution to a well known problem. I see nothing wrong with him capitalizing on it, oh and he's also a really nice guy! That being said, I also see nothing wrong with others doing the same, afterall, some people like Coke, some like Pepsi. Some want an all inclusive kit that they'll bring to their mechanic and others have the DIY spirit and will tackle it themselves. Both have their own merits and address people's limitations or allow for them to enjoy a project.

Third, his product is like 1800 bux. if someone can design and build something similar for 600, you better believe there will be interest, especially given the actual parts cost.
Agree 100%. That's how 99% of all consumer goods came to be. Do you have an iPhone?

As for kc, just go back to the 996 forum where you belong
Come on now, that's just being catty and uncalled for. This is a Porsche community and we all share the love of the marque. The 997 is an evolution of the 996 and shares an incredible amount of parts with the 996. If people didn't cross from one forum area into another, we'd be doing ourselves a huge disservice. I post in everything from aircooled, to the latest generation vehicle forums. I like to think my knowledge and or opinions matter regardless of which car is in my garage. KC's knowledge is definitely relevant to the 997TT's world as well. That being said, I do think he uncharacteristically got a bit too negative about this thread.
Rebuttals in red

"Can't we all just get along"
-Rodney King

To the original OP "Original", Thank you for this, I too am very interested in what you come up with. DIY suits me, I'm mechanically inclined, I build and race RC cars so these have similar components. I'd be very interested in taking on a DIY project like this! Though, it may be null as I'm considering a GT2 decklid/Wing as I LOVE the look. But this would be a lot less expensive and could be an "in the meantime" fun project! Keep us updated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Wing Actuators DIY? No more hydraulics!