Sponsored by:

Eibach vs H&R vs GMG v Champion lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Eibach vs H&R vs GMG v Champion lowering springs

Have read quite a few threads regarding them and wondering what other members ended up going with?

H&R: Seems to be the one
Champion: H&R also makes spring for them
Eibach's : Too soft?
GMG: Too harsh?

Needs to know how much each drops the car and the ride quality?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

The eibachs are not soft at all. However the reduction in ride height is not as aggressive as the other three. I would put H&R at the end of the list, many report that they are too stiff and bouncy when paired with oem PASM shocks. IMO the H&R springs are ideal for looking great while parked - the other three choices are the ones to consider for improved performance and dynamics. My suggestion, in order, would be GMG, Eibach, Champion then H&R.

Eibach manufacture the springs for GMG just as H&R manufacture the springs for Champion. They are absolutely not the same springs though, both Eibach and H&R are OEM manufacturers and can design / build springs for companies with very different spring rates compared to their own in-house part number.

Regardless of which route you choose, also plan on purchasing a rear adjustable toe steer kit (ie RSS #312) - without it, you will have a tough time getting the rear alignment dialed in after dropping the car. Also strongly consider the TPC DSC module at the same time as springs to improve the dynamic range & performance of the oem PASM shocks.

I am personally using the Eibachs on oem PASM shocks, paired with TPC's DSC controller and the RSS #312 rear toe kit. I am beyond satisfied both on street and on track. Great setup and many others have done the same with great feedback.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
05Mdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

I have Champion Springs - ride height reduced by a claimed 1.2 inches - looks great and they ride fantastic.

This is the only mod on my car and a must in my opinion. Stock ride height is terrible.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have H&R's, as mentioned above they look great and lowered just a hair over an inch. I have no desire to go any higher or lower which was my big concern. I can't compare the ride with the other springs as I have not personally experienced them but I have no issues with it and don't feel it changed the ride comfort significantly. Definitely agree with getting a DSC as mentioned above.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The H&R's will lower the car about 3/8" lower than the Eibachs when installed.

It is my opinion from what I have seen that the H&R's will start to sag at the 2 to 3 year mark.

I would recommend the Eibach springs. Purchase from a source like Tire Rack or Summit racing.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you will track the car at all, go Hyperco. When tested on a load cell, their rates actually match the labels.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Eibach. Nice drop. Cleans up' the gap without slamming the car. I don' scrape the lip too often. Had no issues with getting an alignment performed. In sport mode, it was less harsh than with OEM springs. Nice surprise.

Would be perfect with a TPC module. But I can't stand the electric hmmm.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin

It is my opinion from what I have seen that the H&R's will start to sag at the 2 to 3 year mark.

I would recommend the Eibach springs. Purchase from a source like Tire Rack or Summit racing.
My experience with H&R aligns with Kevin's.
I bought a car that had H&R installed.
Way too low after X years of install / sag.
I installed Eibach lowering springs to raise the ride height as compared with the H&R height.

I could not reccomend H&R purchase.

Summit Racing was a most excellent vendor for my purchase.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

H&Rs typically look a little too slammed/Autozone in my opinion, and I've heard the stuff about ride quality and sagging Kevin and cgfen have said a lot, too. Eibachs seem to have the best balance of ride, tasteful drop and quality from what I've seen.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jako
I use Eibach. Nice drop. Cleans up' the gap without slamming the car. I don' scrape the lip too often. Had no issues with getting an alignment performed. In sport mode, it was less harsh than with OEM springs. Nice surprise.

Would be perfect with a TPC module. But I can't stand the electric hmmm.
I have Eibachs, does the DSC stop the bounce?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 AM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin

100% agreed....and I've owned two turbos with H&R/Champion springs. First turbo had H&R springs. On the second car, I didn't know any better or knew they were the same and I went with Champion springs and ended up with the same result. They get too low after awhile and the ride quality goes to sh*t after some time.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Your old car (my current) had H&R on them and I removed them and put the eibachs and a DSC on it. It's still lowered nicely but didn't bottom out like the H&R's did. My experience over the years is that H&R's sag over time. They look good the first couple months then get lower and lower over time.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Do the Eibachs and GMG have the same spring rates?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The Gmg are slightly stiffer, so they say. I suspect they're very similar just painted blue.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM
realking
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Similar experience to Jako's - Eibachs, DSC and even wear with no alignment problems. Electric hmmmmm?

Quick Reply: Eibach vs H&R vs GMG v Champion lowering springs