Sponsored by:

poor FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:02 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default poor FM reception

For as long as I've had this car FM (and AM, but that I don't care about, though it may suggest something about where the problem lies) reception has been very poor. I had started to assume that that's just the way non-HD radio sounded, but then I managed to find a disconnected ignition capacitor on my only other car without digital radio. I hooked it up, and wow, a strong FM signal sounds just fine, this isn't like tape hiss. And this car was better than the turbo before that fix.

So, I feel like there's something not right about the reception on this car and it might be worth chasing down. I had previously checked the connection to the windshield antenna, and while it seems flimsy, it is very much connected.

This is an 09, so old, mezger engine, but new 997.2 PCM.

Can someone that has done the coils perhaps suggest where to go looking for the capacitor(s) that are almost certainly (supposed to be) on that cable loom?

Anything else I should look out for? I'm honestly more concerned with something causing interference that might be impacting other things as well, but I do also used to enjoy being able to listen to KQED on my drive to work.

Thanks for any ideas on where to start looking!!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you see the antenna lead in the windshield? Maybe some replaced the windshield with the wrong one or did not re-connect the antenna leads.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I popped off the a-pillar trim and it's indeed connected. The tabs on the window itself seem super flimsy, but are connected.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:04 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Probably unrealted, but I have the same issue when I plug in my phone (Samsung GS7) into the center console cigarette lighter using a USB adapter.. This is just for charging my phone (07 997TT)

Unplug the phone and the reception is clear..
Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Probably unrealted, but I have the same issue when I plug in my phone (Samsung GS7) into the center console cigarette lighter using a USB adapter.. This is just for charging my phone (07 997TT)

Unplug the phone and the reception is clear..
THIS! I have the same issue with my 07 997TT its the worst if my phone is charging I cant even stand listening to the radio because of the noise.

Quick Reply: poor FM reception