Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Use XPELL??? OR NOT (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1049853-use-xpell-or-not.html)

soundbehindyou 02-14-2018 06:02 PM

Use XPELL??? OR NOT

:thumbup:Hello to all you "Forced Air" high horse power gentlemen - or 997 Turbo owners! I just purchased a low mileage (under 8K) 07 Turbo and because of the low miles would consider adding XPEL to protect a nearly flawless original paint job. Any comments yeah or ney?
Will it work? Will it "ruin the paint gloss"? Can it be removed down the road should I consider a sale with still under 10k miles? Is doing just the "nose" and mirrors the way to go? Go all the way to the windshield?
Thanks!

TT Surgeon 02-14-2018 06:30 PM

Having done it on 1/2 of the Porsche's I've owned and nothing on the rest, I'll never do it again. Always looks like crap.

John Belk 02-14-2018 08:06 PM

I don’t care for the way it looks...and over time it doesn’t get better. My preference is a high quality ceramic finish that enhances the paint’s appearance. The ceramic finish does offer some protection, but admittedly not to the Xpell’s capabilities. I don’t worry about driving my car and paint chips, but I do avoid driving to close behind trucks and other vehicles.
Good Luck! JB

PCA1983 02-14-2018 08:13 PM

My Porsches are all garage queens nowadays, used for sunny day blasts, PCA and other car related events. I'm not owning one without it. If it's just a car for transportation (I call that a beater), then skip it. That's my opinion.

cstyles 02-14-2018 08:13 PM

Surprised to hear of the two bad experiences above. I do believe that your satisfaction is based 99.9% on who installs it, and 0.1% on which product you decide on (assuming you're looking at the top tier offering from each manufacturer).

I had Xpel Ultimate applied to the entire front end of my car. It's perfect and has been for two years now. Several people in our close knit Toronto Porsche cars and coffee group have had their entire cars done, front to back. Absolutely perfect and you wouldn't know except by touch or knowing where to look for edges.

So, I highly recommend you do it, considering your low mileage and how pristine you say the paint is. But do your due diligence on an installer - this is one of those things where you absolutely get what you pay for.

Cheers

ble2011 02-14-2018 08:41 PM

Mine has the whole front covered since (I believe ) new. I'm not sure the brand of clear film, but after 10 years, everything still looks like new. In fact, shortly after I bought the vehicle, I was driving on the interstate and not sure what it was, but I was hit by so many pebbles for about 2 miles. I was expecting a mess of stone chips on the front, but there are only a few very small "opaque" marks on the film. The paint is fine. As far as the appearance, it's been covered with CQuartz and is still shiny.

PorscheStrong 02-14-2018 09:59 PM

I have it on the entire front of both my Porsche's. Great install, looks fantastic, no one see's it. Necessary? Probably not for me, but I baby mine. But the peace of mind was worth it. For you, living in Scottsdale, I think you should highly consider it -- dry climate, potential for sandblasting effect, and GR paint color. Professional paint correction before Xpel goes on.

Car Crazy 02-15-2018 10:52 AM

Mine had the front done when I purchased the car. It was an older 3M product starting to show its age. I had it removed and did the entire car front to back. The paint is in new condition and looks great with the paint protection film. It is nearly impossible to see. I have Xpel and Suntek on other cars too and they still look perfect years later. My installer wraps the edges making the PPF is nearly impossible to detect. I also have a ceramic coating (Modesta) on one of my cars and the PPF is light years ahead of the ceramic coatings as far as protection for scratches, swirls, and pint chips. Additionally, the PPF provides piece of mind. I constantly worry someone is going to walk by my cars and brush up against it with their jeans causing scratches. This is not a worry when Xpel or Suntek is on the car. Lastly, I can do a quick wash/wipe down without any worry about swirl marks. No matter how careful you are, you will cause swirl marks over time without PPF. I highly recommend it and will always put it on every nice car I own.

geoorlando 02-15-2018 11:18 AM

I've had Xpel on both my vehicles. It was professionally installed and looks and functions well in my opinion.

soundbehindyou 02-15-2018 11:44 AM

Thanks Gents....any other comments appreciated.

theplings 02-15-2018 01:33 PM

I've had suntek on two previous cars, when you go over some gravel or something debris in the road it's nice knowing it's out there protecting the paint.

Both installs were only partial hoods and the seam didn't bother me at all.

I don't have it on my TT yet but sometime soon it will be going on.

quattrodoc 02-15-2018 03:30 PM

Living in Colorado I have it on all of my cars. It works well. As far as finish, you do lose a bit if you're up close and really examining it. From 5 feet away, no one will know it's there... If it's a show car, leave it off, you won't win with it on there. If you drive it and want to protect the finish as best possible, then go with it.

SteveS83 02-15-2018 05:54 PM

Has anyone ever installed PPF over a car that has some sand blasting? Does it accentuate or mitigate those blemishes? I just picked up my TT last Oct and I swear the prior owner loved to tailgate. Have to look close to see it but it's there. I was just wondering what the PPF does in this case.

I installed it on my wife's Ecoboost Flex since it's essentially a toaster on wheels and thought the nose would take the brunt of road debris. I believe it was Xpel, looks fine on it.

Bxstr 02-15-2018 06:38 PM

I would recommend doing it. Whether you use XPEL which seems to be a bit more tough or Suntek which seems to be a bit more optically clear, I would put film on the car. If you don't do it for yourself do it for the next owner so that they can have a flawless finish. I understand that many will say they can simply respray it but you have to look at the chips while you wait to get it resprayed. I would rather look at something that looks 99% perfect but looks 1% different than the regular paint.

PorscheStrong 02-15-2018 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by SteveS83 (Post 14804574)
Has anyone ever installed PPF over a car that has some sand blasting? Does it accentuate or mitigate those blemishes? I just picked up my TT last Oct and I swear the prior owner loved to tailgate. Have to look close to see it but it's there. I was just wondering what the PPF does in this case.

Can cut both ways. My car had minor stuff before it was applied and it tends to mask, but I've seen it on cars where it had the opposite effect.