Definitive answer on factory 996 Tequipment rollbar in 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts
Question Definitive answer on factory 996 Tequipment rollbar in 997TT

Hi All,

From interwebs research I convinced myself the Porsche Tequipment rollbar (euro only) sold originally for the 996, would also fit some/all 997s. So I bought what was believed and listed to be one of the very last NOS ones in the US. (Subsequently I discovered some of the crucial nearly unobtanium special hardware bits were not shipped or had been lost, but luckily resolved that issue fairly quickly with no added cost to me.)

My mechanic - an independent Porsche-only shop in the LA area with considerable street and racecar expertise - tried quite diligently to get it in my '09 TT but concluded it's not gonna work. (Yes, both front seats were completely out during this effort, and I already did the full rear-seat delete years ago.)

Specifically, my car is a US-spec 2009 997.1TT 6MT with sunroof, adaptive sport seats and Bose audio/subwoofer box. We are speculating one or more of those details may be key factors. And, it's not worth it to me to change/ditch the seats or subwoofer box -- worst case I can get an aftermarket rollbar instead as I believe there are several on the market (GMG, BBI) that would fit my car. But I would really prefer to have the lightweight factory chromoly unit.

Can anyone please tell me definitively if this thing will or will not fit in my car?

Thanks!

Last edited by cjcam930; 02-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

I recently bought all the hardware from Newport Beach Porsche. The only real peices needed are the large inserts. All the bolts can be sourced at hardware store.

I have seen this bar in 996 and 997s. Not sure about 997.2 TT.

I have read that some have learned the hardway that there is a coupe and a cab model bar. Post the part number that might help.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Post the part number that might help.
Thanks for the super quick reply. You're right, the only unusual hardware is the bushings/spacers, and I have everything now.

The P/N is 996.580.981.00 and below is a pic of the actual builder decal affixed to the bar.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:03 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Cool.

That is the coupe part number. Same bar in my 996.

It is a perfect, tight factory fit. Take your time or find a shop that has done this install before.

I saw this bar in a 997 TT on RL white/red highly moded car. I cant remember if it was .1 or .2 car. Check in vehicle marketplace. It sold last week as I recall.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Cool.

That is the coupe part number. Same bar in my 996.

It is a perfect, tight factory fit. Take your time or find a shop that has done this install before.

I saw this bar in a 997 TT on RL white/red highly moded car. I cant remember if it was .1 or .2 car. Check in vehicle marketplace. It sold last week as I recall.
turbofever's car...I believe his bar had a 997 part#...

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ced-again.html
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
turbofever's car...I believe his bar had a 997 part#...

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ced-again.html
Thanks Johnny -- Interesting, that is a different design and I have not seen one like that before. I will hang onto the one I have for now, and see if I can find a shop that's done one or similar before. (My shop has installed quite a few rollbars/half-cages but not this one; they mainly specialize in early aircooled cars.)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by campbellcj
Hi All,

From interwebs research I convinced myself the Porsche Tequipment rollbar (euro only) sold originally for the 996, would also fit some/all 997s. So I bought what was believed and listed to be one of the very last NOS ones in the US. (Subsequently I discovered some of the crucial nearly unobtanium special hardware bits were not shipped or had been lost, but luckily resolved that issue fairly quickly with no added cost to me.)

My mechanic - an independent Porsche-only shop in the LA area with considerable street and racecar expertise - tried quite diligently to get it in my '09 TT but concluded it's not gonna work. (Yes, both front seats were completely out during this effort, and I already did the full rear-seat delete years ago.)

Specifically, my car is a US-spec 2009 997.1TT 6MT with sunroof, adaptive sport seats and Bose audio/subwoofer box. We are speculating one or more of those details may be key factors. And, it's not worth it to me to change/ditch the seats or subwoofer box -- worst case I can get an aftermarket rollbar instead as I believe there are several on the market (GMG, BBI) that would fit my car. But I would really prefer to have the lightweight factory chromoly unit.

Can anyone please tell me definitively if this thing will or will not fit in my car?

Thanks!
Yes this will fit. I have the 996 roll bar in my car. I have the bose subwoofer box, gt2 buckets and a sunroof. It is a super tight fit but it fits. You have to remove more then the front seat to get this in.

You have to remove most of the interior and cut plastic on both side to get it in. you also have to remove the rear view mirror cause the top of the bar has to start at the front window and titled back into the car. If you have any questions I can walk you over the process. Just message me and Ill give you my number

Doug

Last edited by o7silverturbo; 02-13-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Yes this will fit. I have the 996 roll bar in my car. I have the bose subwoofer box, gt2 buckets and a sunroof. It is a super tight fit but it fits. You have to remove more then the front seat to get this in.

You have to remove most of the interior and cut plastic on both side to get it in. you also have to remove the rear view mirror cause the top of the bar has to start at the front window and titled back into the car. If you have any questions I can walk you over the process. Just message me and Ill give you my number

Doug
Doug,

Thanks a ton. Wow, this now makes more sense vis-a-vis what the guys at the shop told me. They did specifically mention the rear-view mirror being in the way and none of us realized the extent of interior disassembly or mods needed to get it installed.

If there's really that much to it, including cutting/modding OE interior bits, then I'll probably bow-out on this type of bar after all. Not looking to turn my '09 into a track car -- it's purely a canyon and backroad toy and I already have a full blown dedicated race car -- and if I ever do sell the TT (not likely anytime soon) then I figure I'd need/want to return it back closer to stock first.

Anyway, again I appreciate everyone's help and confirmation on the scoop with these rollbars!!!

Quick Reply: Definitive answer on factory 996 Tequipment rollbar in 997TT