Talk me into (or out of) a 996 Turbo -> 997 Turbo upgrade - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Talk me into (or out of) a 996 Turbo -> 997 Turbo upgrade

Notices

Talk me into (or out of) a 996 Turbo -> 997 Turbo upgrade

Old 02-09-2018, 10:14 AM
  #16  
atcbi5
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
atcbi5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,493
Default

I donĺt like them at all. Great mechanics GT1 based cars. To each their own. I definitely do not like the interior. 718 a total failure with the four cylinder engine. They really messed that one up.
atcbi5 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM
  #17  
vman932
User
 
vman932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 124
Default

I sold my 996tt X50 6MT coupe in December of 2015 to buy 997tt 6MT cab. My only regret is not waiting a bit longer. At the time, the price gap between the 996 and 997 was much larger. Of course the 996 market heats ups right after I sell mine.... If you have any desire to go from the 996 to 997, now is the time IMHO. I am amazed at how much the gap has narrowed and I just cannot imagine it ever being smaller. I know the 993 market greatly eclipsed the 996, but that is a completely different discussion.
vman932 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 PM
  #18  
Johnny DB
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Johnny DB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,258
Default

Originally Posted by vman932 View Post
I sold my 996tt X50 6MT coupe in December of 2015 to buy 997tt 6MT cab. My only regret is not waiting a bit longer. At the time, the price gap between the 996 and 997 was much larger. Of course the 996 market heats ups right after I sell mine.... If you have any desire to go from the 996 to 997, now is the time IMHO. I am amazed at how much the gap has narrowed and I just cannot imagine it ever being smaller. I know the 993 market greatly eclipsed the 996, but that is a completely different discussion.
I agree. The 997TTs are going to go up because the gap is much smaller now.
Johnny DB is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
  #19  
brabuse430
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 43
Default

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
I picked up a 7tt to add to the 6tt. The interior is much nicer from a standpoint of doing lots of miles in it. Very quiet and refined, however it does seem to be lacking a little more of the feed back that the 996 has from steering/weight shift most likely due to the PASM suspension which is great for road trips. Mine is stock other than a DSC box at the moment and the 996 has suspension/brakes/power adders.

The first thing I noticed was that it feels smaller when driving for some reason, not sure why. Perhaps it is the lightness of the steering/throttle but it feels more along the lines of my Audi TT in size rather than the 996 that feels closer to my old 540i. The PASM suspension is one of the most favorite parts along with the better all wheel drive system which on slick/icy surfaces drives much better.



Two weeks ago did a 400+ mile afternoon road trip up into VT to grab some beer and found it perfectly at home trucking along at 85mph. The larger fuel tank is also very nice! Does take down miles just like the old E39 540i did, but with more power and better handling for those curvy sections.



That being said I have had a couple people offer to buy the 996 but I am not willing to part with it, when it comes to early morning blasts with pure raw power and lack of computers it is hard to beat. The power delivery is much more raw as is the connection with it telling you every single thing that is going on on the road surface. The VNT's in the 997 make the motor feel much happier to chug along at lower speeds where the K16's in the 996 want to be run all the way out all the time.
we need to work out some trades for monkish!
brabuse430 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:36 PM
  #20  
thxbuff2001
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
thxbuff2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Antartic
Posts: 1,966
Default

Both turbos are desirable. Its a matter of preference. In todays car values, they are cheap enough to grab. Most likely, you can sell them how much you bought them. Free car there.

But historically, and most auto enthusiast and even porsche agrees, the 996 saved porsche from bankruptcy due to very expensive to produce 993,
and 997 saved the 911.

So they did their part in porsche history.
thxbuff2001 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:53 PM
  #21  
Rambler_13
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 672
Default

The 996 Turbo is beautiful from many angles and has several distinctions from the 997. Even the front end with its narrower profile is distinct and looks great in its own right sans headlights. The headlights also put you in sort of an exclusive club (call it what you will). Those in the know will respect that and give credit for taking one for the team, so to speak, and recognizing what a great value they are.
Rambler_13 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 PM
  #22  
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheDeckMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W.Mass
Posts: 1,003
Default

Originally Posted by brabuse430 View Post
we need to work out some trades for monkish!
TheDeckMan is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 07:46 PM
  #23  
thxbuff2001
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
thxbuff2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Antartic
Posts: 1,966
Default

If these 996 TT gets any lower, Im picking one up. The last time Ive checked, the delta difference was only 10k, which is not enough yet. Might as well get a 997 and get more for 10k.
thxbuff2001 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM
  #24  
thxbuff2001
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
thxbuff2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Antartic
Posts: 1,966
Default

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
I picked up a 7tt to add to the 6tt. The interior is much nicer from a standpoint of doing lots of miles in it. Very quiet and refined, however it does seem to be lacking a little more of the feed back that the 996 has from steering/weight shift most likely due to the PASM suspension which is great for road trips. Mine is stock other than a DSC box at the moment and the 996 has suspension/brakes/power adders.

The first thing I noticed was that it feels smaller when driving for some reason, not sure why. Perhaps it is the lightness of the steering/throttle but it feels more along the lines of my Audi TT in size rather than the 996 that feels closer to my old 540i. The PASM suspension is one of the most favorite parts along with the better all wheel drive system which on slick/icy surfaces drives much better.



Two weeks ago did a 400+ mile afternoon road trip up into VT to grab some beer and found it perfectly at home trucking along at 85mph. The larger fuel tank is also very nice! Does take down miles just like the old E39 540i did, but with more power and better handling for those curvy sections.



That being said I have had a couple people offer to buy the 996 but I am not willing to part with it, when it comes to early morning blasts with pure raw power and lack of computers it is hard to beat. The power delivery is much more raw as is the connection with it telling you every single thing that is going on on the road surface. The VNT's in the 997 make the motor feel much happier to chug along at lower speeds where the K16's in the 996 want to be run all the way out all the time.
You need to be careful putting metal objects in the trunk without the inside hood protector.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/DASSCHILD911.html

People have dented the hood before.
thxbuff2001 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:37 PM
  #25  
Lucid Moment
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Lucid Moment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 362
Default

If the 997 turbo's are going up because the 996 turbo's are appreciating, then where will the 991 turbo's stand as they are depreciating? Surely not lower than the 997 turbo's?
Lucid Moment is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:53 PM
  #26  
thxbuff2001
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
thxbuff2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Antartic
Posts: 1,966
Default

Originally Posted by Lucid Moment View Post
If the 997 turbo's are going up because the 996 turbo's are appreciating, then where will the 991 turbo's stand as they are depreciating? Surely not lower than the 997 turbo's?
991 turbos are not yet in the collectability radar of anybody. Maybe in the future it will but I dont see it.
The 996 and 997 TT, esp the manuals, has a name already, mezger blah blah. Its type of owners are different, who would buy a 10 year old porches, only crazy people probably. But these people would pay for a special car, and thats what a 997 and 996 looks and feels like.

It will converge and it would not be a surprise. Ive seen it before, old vs new cars.

When a car reached a sense of "specialness", there is no limit to the price.

Buy it, drive it, share it, sell it.
thxbuff2001 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 PM
  #27  
Catorce
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Catorce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,263
Default

There are already 997s that cost way more than 991s. The 997 GT3 RS 4.0, the 997 GT2 come to mind.
__________________
Current cars:
70 914-6 - 2.7L screamer
73 911T Carrera RS Clone, 3.6 power
75 911 Targa - RSR width 930 motor
78 928 - DEVORE CAR, 6.54L
83 911 Euro SC - 3.2 Short Stroke!
88 928S4 5 speed
02 911 Targa
04 911 40th Anniv
07 997 Twin Turbo 6MT - Techart beauty
08 SL55 AMG
09 997 Twin Turbo 6MT - Factory Aerokit
11 Camaro SS - 6MT Z28 Spec, V7Ysi 850whp
The only reproduction flat six engine cases on the planet -3.6, 2.0, 2.2, 2.7, GT3/TT
www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Catorce is online now  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 AM
  #28  
Steve 96C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Steve 96C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gaithersburg, MD.
Posts: 5,494
Default

You wrote: Possible:
Projected purchase price under $60K. Plus sales tax, plus transport.

Say what?!?!? Under $60K? Unless it's your brother, father or other close relative selling this car to you at a discount because they love you, I'd be incredibly suspicious of this car. An under $60k car in the shape you described in the color you listed would most likely last 24 hours on the open market before it was sold.

Or, I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So... if you can buy this car, OMG... are you kidding? BUY IT!!! YES!!! You'd be crazy not to, unless, you simply don't want it for some reason. There will be a long line of people behind you with a checkbook in hand to take your place.

Best of luck,

Steve
Steve 96C4S is offline  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 AM
  #29  
thxbuff2001
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
thxbuff2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Antartic
Posts: 1,966
Default

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...20200&zc=79707

Its been a while since I checked car.com and I would say prices are up for the manual TT. There are those selling low but actually Tips.
I guess I made money already.
Somewhat sad, these cars are going to be kept in garages and not driven if this continues.
thxbuff2001 is offline  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:29 AM
  #30  
Rambler_13
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 672
Default

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=20567&mkId=20081&page=2&perPage=20&rd=99999&searchSource=PAGINATIO N&sort=miles-lowest&stkTypId=28881&trId=25704&transTypeId=28112&yrId=39723&yrId=34923 &yrId=27381&yrId=20201&yrId=20145&yrId=20200&zc=79707

Its been a while since I checked car.com and I would say prices are up for the manual TT. There are those selling low but actually Tips.
I guess I made money already.
Somewhat sad, these cars are going to be kept in garages and not driven if this continues.
Four of the 997.2s in that list are actually PDK vs. manual even though manual was checked in the search function. That happens quite often in fact. Funny story when I bought mine last Sept., the exact opposite happened. It never came up in my local search because the dealer listed it as PDK. Then one day I drove down to the dealer to look at a 997.1 GT3 they had and saw that the Turbo they listed as PDK was actually a manual and I ended up buying it instead after test driving it (the GT3 seemed kind of worn). I wonder if it would have sold faster had it been listed properly.

Rambler_13 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk me into (or out of) a 996 Turbo -> 997 Turbo upgrade


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: