Sponsored by:

Question on Adaptive Sport Seats and what they physically look like

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
jddealer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Adaptive Sport Seats and what they physically look like

I've been lurking for nearly 4 years trying to gear up for purchasing a 997.2 turbo. Got all kinds of questions, even after doing searches, but thought I'd start with seats. In the 2010 Porsche brochure, there is a visible difference in what Adaptive Sport Seats look like with the extra little hump on the side of the seat up near a person's shoulder area. Seems like most people say that's a "must have" in their opinion. One of the reasons I was really holding out for a Turbo S is that is appears those seats come standard with that pkg, not to mention the extra stock hp bump.

I see a few Turbo S cars that are for sale where the seller lists Adaptive Sport Seats, but the photos clearly don't show that little hump on the sides. Did the seats change their look at some point that those seats didn't have that any more? On some of those same for sale ads, they also list the VIN... and a quick search on Vin Decoder says they are "Comfort Seats" with heating and cooling. I know the comfort seats were a no-cost option on the S models, but did a lot of people take that choice to gain cooling and give up the Adaptive feature? Just confused on how someone can list Adaptive in an ad and they visibly appear to be the Comfort version (again, unless there was a change in the look and they are now one in the same??)

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:37 PM
4LUX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Sport Adaptive seats are a must, they are the most comfortable and give the best support for track and spirited driving. You are correct, one gives up having cooled seat. But they are available in heated. They have the most adjustment, as they have air bladders that adjust the width, both in the seat area and the back area. Here are a few photo's of a set in my car.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:12 PM
jddealer
7th Gear

Yep, those are the ones I see in the Porsche brochure as Adaptive. But I see "for sale" ads where it is definitely NOT that seat, yet they specifically say Adaptive Sport Seats listed by the dealer or private seller. Am I to assume they are incorrect?
Here would be an example where they clearly list Adaptive seats in the description, but the photos are of seats that appear to not have that. Very strange that this is not the only one...I see quite a few this way:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4231/overview/
New Price! 2012 Porsche 911 AWD Turbo S Platinum Silver Metallic 3.8L 6-Cylinder Turbocharged 7-Speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) Clean CARFAX. 8.5J x 19Fr/11J x 19Rr Turbo II Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Sport Seats, Air Conditioning, Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror...(more)

Thanks
Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jddealer
Yep, those are the ones I see in the Porsche brochure as Adaptive. But I see "for sale" ads where it is definitely NOT that seat, yet they specifically say Adaptive Sport Seats listed by the dealer or private seller. Am I to assume they are incorrect?
Here would be an example where they clearly list Adaptive seats in the description, but the photos are of seats that appear to not have that. Very strange that this is not the only one...I see quite a few this way:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4231/overview/
New Price! 2012 Porsche 911 AWD Turbo S Platinum Silver Metallic 3.8L 6-Cylinder Turbocharged 7-Speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) Clean CARFAX. 8.5J x 19Fr/11J x 19Rr Turbo II Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Sport Seats, Air Conditioning, Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror...(more)

Thanks

Those are not sport adaptives - must be an oversight. Go with what you see in the pictures.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM
jddealer
7th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I just wasn't sure if there was a design change or if a certain model year they changed the look AND incorporated cooling into the Adaptives. Sounds like I got my answer. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I have heated sport adaptive seats in my TTS. They are nice but I really can't tell the difference between my sport adaptive seats and the heated and cooled sport seats I had in my 09 TT. Given a choice I prefer cooled seats over sport adaptive, especially in the Summer where they are essential in a cab.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 TTS with the heated/ventilated, 12 way power-adjustable seats. I call them the “comfy seats” because they are more comfortable, and offer cooling features in the warmer months. I should also mention these seats seem to hold up better. While the “sport seats” do provide slightly more stability and look a little more sporty imho. The third option, the “fixed bucket” seats found in the gt3 offer the most stability, look the best but are very uncomfortable. Especially while getting in and out of the car.

If I had the choice to make over, I would do the same thing. But there are times I wish I had the gt3 buckets. Mainly just for the cool factor. But I don’t plan on spending $12K on seats anytime soon...

Quick Reply: Question on Adaptive Sport Seats and what they physically look like