Speedtech Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 AM
Diego JP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedtech Exhaust!!!

Hey Guys!
I just had an amazing experience with Speedtech so I decided to share it with all of you.
I bought my 997TT last September and I immediately wanted to get a better sounding exhaust, the stock exhaust was terrible in my opinion.
After hours of research I had decided to get a Tubi exhaust but before I purchased it I got the chance to drive a 997.2TT with one and decided it was too quiet for my taste so I was once again doing research online.
I came across a review on 6speed that made me decide to give Speedtech a shot and I ordered their 3'' cat-less X-pipe exhaust system. The entire ordering process was seamless and my new exhaust arrived about 10 days after I ordered it. I installed the new exhaust myself which fit perfectly and fired her up, for the first week or so I absolutely loved it! It was extremely loud, throaty and it made wonderful exotic noises all throughout the RPM range. However after about a week I decided It was too loud for city driving and It droned too much between 2000 and 3000 RPM. I gave Chad at Speedtech a call and told him this and he offered to send me a different version of the exhaust, the 2.5'' X pipe at no cost as long as I sent him the 3'' back. He said he thought this was the perfect balance of loud and exotic without being too over the top.
About a week later the new exhaust arrived and I swapped them. I immediately went for a drive and wow! It is the best sounding Turbo I've heard! It is loud without being to loud (IMHO), it sounds like an exotic car now and it makes all sorts of noises that I absolutely love. I've had it on my car now for about 3 months and I love it more every time I start the engine!
I would definitely recommend SpeedTech to any Porsche owner out there!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diego - great story. Thanks for sharing.

Would you please clarify what Speedtech setup you settled on?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Diego, thanks for the review. Is your new 2.5'' X pipe also cat-less? Is there any drone between 2000-3000 RPM now?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:58 PM
richbob
Advanced

And, are the cat-less exhaust systems technically street legal?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Diego JP
Instructor

I ended up going with their 2.5" catless Xpipe and 3" quad tips.

In Florida they are legal, but I know that in California they aren't so I'm sure there are other states with similar restrictions.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:08 PM
kjresener
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great to hear, I just took delivery of my new to me 997.1 turbo last month and am waiting for my Speedtech 2.5" w/cats and 3" quad tips exhaust now. I drove myself crazy listening to hundreds of videos and settled on Speedtech. Had same easy seamless ordering process and now just waiting to receive the system, can't wait to hear it fire up for the first time!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's great, 3" quad tips seem like a great compromise. 3" exhaust drone too much, can't stand it. Drives me and Mrs insane. so 2.5 is great. Do you have to pass emissions?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:38 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I sing Speedtech's praises to anyone that will listen, at local meets and online. I have their 3" catted x-pipe and it is the bomb dot com. No matter how much money you spend on the other 'well known' exhaust brands, you will not beat the Speedtech x-pipe sound or build quality. You're just wasting money for the sake of it at that point. The value of Speedtech's products are unbelievable compared to the other brands at 2x the price.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
I sing Speedtech's praises to anyone that will listen, at local meets and online. I have their 3" catted x-pipe and it is the bomb dot com. No matter how much money you spend on the other 'well known' exhaust brands, you will not beat the Speedtech x-pipe sound or build quality. You're just wasting money for the sake of it at that point. The value of Speedtech's products are unbelievable compared to the other brands at 2x the price.
+1 same setup on my .1
Old 01-25-2018, 08:23 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

My thought is 2.5 inch using stock cats and tips. Any experience with sound and drone with this set up?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sixty4
My thought is 2.5 inch using stock cats and tips. Any experience with sound and drone with this set up?
I don't think you can reuse cats on .1s, so it's either new high flow cats or catless.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, mine is a .2. Any experience with 2.5 inch using stock cats and tips on a .2. with sound and drone with this set up?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Hi Diego,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum and for the very kind words! We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your SpeedTech exhaust!

Thanks cstyles & theplings for your wonderful comments, as well!

Jim, 9sixty4,

I will offer my take on 2.5" vs. 3.0" on the 997.2TT, as I have experience from our time testing and developing our 997.2TT exhaust.

I will start out by saying the .2 turbo motor is very quiet compared to the .1 generation. We found that a 2.5" X-Pipe on the 997.2 turbo barely increases the sound level, especially when used with OEM cats, but it does improve the sound quality. If all you desire is a very, very slight bump in sound, then the 2.5 would be fine, but the vast majority of .2 turbo owners prefer the 3.0 on that model. It is our recommendation that the .2 turbo cars be fitted with our 3" X-Pipe in order to achieve an appreciable sound increase/improvement. Retaining the OEM cats will be a shade quieter than using our Hi-Flow cats, however, either cats are fine with the 3" system for a nice sound improvement.

If a customer is not sure, we try to ease your decision making pressure - As a sound guarantee, we offer our customers the opportunity to swap out our X-Pipe in the first 30 days, if they feel they made a mistake in sound level choice. For instance, if you decide on a 3.0 and after using it, you feel it it too loud, we will swap you out to a 2.5 at no charge (and vice versa - 2.5 to 3.0). We understand an exhaust is a significant decision/purchase and this is our way of trying to insure that you will be happy with your SpeedTech purchase. Diego's story above demonstrates exactly why we maintain this policy. We don't swap many, but on occasion we do and in those instances, it seems to always end up with a very happy customer. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the .2TT exhaust. I was directly involved with the design and sound testing and remember it very well.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 AM
Diego JP
Instructor

Originally Posted by cstyles
Agreed 100%! Just got back from a drive and those sounds sure put a grin on my face!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 AM
Diego JP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
that's great, 3" quad tips seem like a great compromise. 3" exhaust drone too much, can't stand it. Drives me and Mrs insane. so 2.5 is great. Do you have to pass emissions?
Luckily no emissions in Florida thats why I opted for catless version!

Quick Reply: Speedtech Exhaust!!!