Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking serious at a TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

wow. WAY overpriced for an 07' tiptronic. The dealer is absolutely dreaming.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are other similar build spec'd cars for 10k less. I would pass on this one.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

As others have stated.

About $10K too much for a tip car.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In early 2013- bought my 07 997.1 TT, Tip, cobalt blue- 19kmiles, 1 owner, 2 yr CPO from dealer- watched it drop from 79.9k to 62.7k over 3 months- got it for $61.7- Now has 35k miles & been great trouble free car so far- Love it every time i'm in it. i bought 6 yr Fidelity platinum warranty few yrs back but only used it for minor repair. I put on DSC, EP1, & FVD basic tune. Figure i could sell it now for about what i paid- NO way that car is worth anywhere what dealer is asking.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
This quote makes it sound like every .1 TT is going to be a bottomless money pit. The price of the car in the OP is definitely waaay high for what it is, and he should be looking at .2 Turbos for that money, but buying a good .1 at the correct market price isn't a dumb move.
actually pretty close to it. And I own one and trust me it did happen to me. I fixed all my issues myself so saved literally thousands. Time bomb ready to happen with these low mileage cars. One bit of advice, if you smell coolant RUN for your life!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Dang, now I fear the .1TT a bit more than I did.

Guess I'll have to keep saving for a .2TT someday.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5

actually pretty close to it. And I own one and trust me it did happen to me. I fixed all my issues myself so saved literally thousands. Time bomb ready to happen with these low mileage cars. One bit of advice, if you smell coolant RUN for your life!

Budget for coolant line pinning and replacing the plastic elbows, and you're fine. It'll cost a couple thousand dollars, yes, but hardly catastrophic compared to a $70k+ car. You can wait and do it when you're already in there somewhat to do the clutch and/or the spark plugs. I wouldn't buy that particular car either, but this ticking time bomb stuff is a bit silly. The only other significant issue I'm aware of is spun cams, but I believe that's fairly rare, and I've only heard of it happening in cars tuned for significantly more power.

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 01-19-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Agree w/ others -- this one is way off market on price.

That said, I don't follow all the comments about 997.1 dependability issues. Not at all. The Mezger engine is well known for performance and reliability; personally, mine has been bullet-proof -- I spent more on maintenance for my 2-year old F150! But then again, I was selective, paid a full price for a nice car, did a thorough PPI, and walked from several duds that weren't well-maintained.

Some people stretch themselves so much financially, they can't handle normal course stuff. These are high performance cars; if you can't afford to drop a few grand on surprise maintenance, you probably shouldn't own a car in this league, so perhaps you'd be better suited to Mazda. Vroom Vroom!

Last edited by PorscheStrong; 01-19-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

If I could get good money for mine, it's out the door and a 991 TT in its place. I have replaced the following and not because it was needed. Pictures and full documentation with all receipts also to prove work done. New stainless sharkwerks elbows. ALL coolant hoses, flywheel, clutch and all associated parts from Porsche dealer. I spent over 4K in parts! This is what I would look for if "I" was in the market for an 07,08 and 09 997.1 regardless of mileage. It's the only way to prevent at least 10k of work. Some on this forum know me and can attest to the work I have done for myself and others. No way in hell would I buy any 997.1 without at the very minimum the elbows replaced. The pinning stuff, don't get me started on it. I would require if it did happen, a new unit from Porsche. I see a pin, I walk. This is all my personal requirements if I was buying a "Mezger" engine. Believe me I love my car no issues and no disrespect. But I stand by my ticking bomb statement. It's just a matter of time and it's based on years not mileage. I would be buying the $600 elbows from Sharkwerks and placing them in a bank safe deposit box. Who knows how long you will be able to buy these. Several of my rennlist buddies have done this already.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I've seen a couple reputable builders recommend pinning over welding, because: 1. the fluid is at low pressure and welds are overkill, 2. there's the possibility of improperly welding, which even in a small area can lead to leaking again, 3. the stress of temperature cycling on the welds can cause them to fracture and leak again, and 4. repairing bad/leaking welds is a lot more of a hassle than repairing a bad pin job.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

This car is local to me and I know the owner of the dealer as well as the previous owner. I have driven in it so I can provide more information if you are interested in the car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
If I could get good money for mine, it's out the door and a 991 TT in its place. I have replaced the following and not because it was needed. Pictures and full documentation with all receipts also to prove work done. New stainless sharkwerks elbows. ALL coolant hoses, flywheel, clutch and all associated parts from Porsche dealer. I spent over 4K in parts! This is what I would look for if "I" was in the market for an 07,08 and 09 997.1 regardless of mileage. It's the only way to prevent at least 10k of work. Some on this forum know me and can attest to the work I have done for myself and others. No way in hell would I buy any 997.1 without at the very minimum the elbows replaced. The pinning stuff, don't get me started on it. I would require if it did happen, a new unit from Porsche. I see a pin, I walk. This is all my personal requirements if I was buying a "Mezger" engine. Believe me I love my car no issues and no disrespect. But I stand by my ticking bomb statement. It's just a matter of time and it's based on years not mileage. I would be buying the $600 elbows from Sharkwerks and placing them in a bank safe deposit box. Who knows how long you will be able to buy these. Several of my rennlist buddies have done this already.
Paint the picture of eminemt doom why don't ya! Not every car will suffer this fate. It's the same BS you read about Ferrari and they are all going to implode, yet in reality with the amount of cars sold, and the amount that fail is minimal. Just does my head in.
Now it'll probably happen to my car.....
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I hear the same sort of crap about the coolant lines as I did with the IMS bearing. Basically, it's fearmongering, plain and simple. To put it into perspective, I currently own TWO 997 turbos and TWO IMS equipped 996s. The Turbos haven't had their coolant lines pinned, and neither have the 996s had their IMS bearings done. All four are driven hard and regularly for years.

While IMS is a more destructive failure compared to coolant lines bursting, both represent a bit of work on the part of the owner.

My philosophy is simple. To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln - DRIVE THE LIVING SHYTE OUT OF IT. I think it was him who said that, anyways.

Sure, I do preventative maintenance all the time, but I am not going to spend the rest of my life worrying about imminent failures.

Oh, I say this as an engine builder, case manufacturer, and holder of multiple patents on Porsche motors.

BUY WITH CONFIDENCE.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
I hear the same sort of crap about the coolant lines as I did with the IMS bearing. Basically, it's fearmongering, plain and simple. To put it into perspective, I currently own TWO 997 turbos and TWO IMS equipped 996s. The Turbos haven't had their coolant lines pinned, and neither have the 996s had their IMS bearings done. All four are driven hard and regularly for years.

While IMS is a more destructive failure compared to coolant lines bursting, both represent a bit of work on the part of the owner.

My philosophy is simple. To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln - DRIVE THE LIVING SHYTE OUT OF IT. I think it was him who said that, anyways.

Sure, I do preventative maintenance all the time, but I am not going to spend the rest of my life worrying about imminent failures.

Oh, I say this as an engine builder, case manufacturer, and holder of multiple patents on Porsche motors.

BUY WITH CONFIDENCE.

With all due respect, If I had your money and skills, I'd probably not worry about crap like that either. lol

As a police officer that works tons of off-duty details for extra money to be able to have and somewhat afford a few toys, big failures like that can REALLY jack up my ownership of an expensive toy.

Quick Reply: Looking serious at a TT