Manual transaxle and front diff fluid change - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Turbo Forum
Reload this Page >

Manual transaxle and front diff fluid change

Notices

Manual transaxle and front diff fluid change

Old 03-02-2018, 04:05 PM
murphyslaw1978
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got around to having the fluid changed. Although the oil that came out what quite black (the fresh oil is quite clear), I haven't yet noticed a difference in shifting in the 10 mins I drove it. Perhaps I should get it up to temp and run it hard and long one day to make sure. But I suspect that shifting will not change much, as my 2 other Porsches were pretty much the same way.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:13 PM
saabin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin View Post
I plan to tackle this project next weekend. I have a 07 997TT 6MT w/o LSD & 53K miles. I have done some research and came up with the following parts/fluids. I realize I dont need to replace the plugs and such but I got them anyway in case anything gets damaged during the procedure.

I have ordered these from Sonnen (hardware) & Suncoast (fluids):

Hardware:
900-123-118-30 Connector Pipe O-Ring (Manual tranny drain plug washer)
999-063-008-02 Trans Screw Plug (Manual tranny drain plug)
900-124-014-01 Screw Plug (Front diff drain plug, 2 needed)
900-124-013-01 Screw Plug 2 (Front diff filler plug, 2 needed)

Fluids:
000-043-303-00 Trans Oil - Front Axle Clutch (AWD controller fluid, 1 L) (Sonnen told me this fluid has been superseded to 000-043-305-40)
000-043-204-20L Mobil 1 Mobilube PTX 75W-90 (Manual tranny & front diff fluid, 5 L total) (I think the "L" in the part number is just a Suncoast thing indicating 1 liter, the base part number is a 20L container.)

atm, I never came across your part number you have listed above for the tranny fluid.. Is that what you're supposed to use if it has an LSD? That part # doesnt show up when I search on Suncoast website, but it does show a bunch of hits from google..
Finally got around to finishing this up yesterday,

Pretty straighforward, I did have to remove the fuel tank straps so I could wiggle the hard plastic tank carrier in order to get enough torque on the AWD fill plug.. that thing was TIGHT. My first attempts with the swivel head wrench started to round off the bolt, so I'm glad I bought new hardware to replace it with.

The AWD fluid seemed to be slightly less than 1L, and the front diff slightly more than 1L.

(Two technical posts from me in 2 days... gotta balance out all the pricing/value threads . it's almost becoming as bad as the 991 GT3/RS forum.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
DaveCarrera4
User

Good info here. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 PM
cstyles
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm planning to do this same fluid change this spring. Just want to clarify exactly which oils go in which component, as it looks to me like people use different names to describe the same component.

On my manual LSD optioned car, I believe there are three components to change the fluid on correct?

- Manual transmission porsche oil # 000-043-204-00
- Limited slip rear differential porsche oil # 000-043-303-00 may be superceded to 000-043-305-40
- Front differential porsche oil same as rear differential

What is the AWD controller? Is that just another name for the front diff? Am I missing any other components in the driveline? Cheers
Old 03-12-2018, 06:59 AM
atm4jim
User

Originally Posted by cstyles View Post
I'm planning to do this same fluid change this spring. Just want to clarify exactly which oils go in which component, as it looks to me like people use different names to describe the same component.

On my manual LSD optioned car, I believe there are three components to change the fluid on correct?

- Manual transmission porsche oil # 000-043-204-00
- Limited slip rear differential porsche oil # 000-043-303-00 may be superceded to 000-043-305-40
- Front differential porsche oil same as rear differential

What is the AWD controller? Is that just another name for the front diff? Am I missing any other components in the driveline? Cheers
The "Limited slip rear differential" is connected to the manual transmission and shares the same fluid.

The part# 000-043-305-40 you listed above is for the AWD controller, which is directly behind and connected to the front differential (does not share fluids). It requires a flex head socket to remove the fill bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual transaxle and front diff fluid change

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: