Sponsored by:

Spoiler alert

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Question Spoiler alert

Was driving home last night and was playing with the PASM button which I really don't know that much about but I do know that the spoiler comes up when the PASM is activated, that said after a short while I got an alert of spoiler malfunction Turn of the PASM the spoiler did not go back down. I was in stop and go traffic so not doing 75. when I parked the car and turned of the ignition the spoiler stay in the up position. Drove it to work this morning and when I started up I used the spoiler button to lower the spoiler which it did but during my drive the spoiler came up I know I went faster than 75 but alas it stayed up after I slowed down. but did not get any alarm this morning. Any thoughts.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Yes, hydraulics going bad in the mechanism that raises and lowers rear wing. Lots of threads on topic w/ potential remedies.

Mine went on my old 6 turbo and replaced with factory unit under CPO.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks Ill try to research it some. Me and the search function are not on a first name basis yet
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mines also starting to play up a bit now and then. I read that they can cost a lot to sort out as well.
Hardly third world problems..
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
Was driving home last night and was playing with the PASM button which I really don't know that much about but I do know that the spoiler comes up when the PASM is activated, that said after a short while I got an alert of spoiler malfunction Turn of the PASM the spoiler did not go back down. I was in stop and go traffic so not doing 75. when I parked the car and turned of the ignition the spoiler stay in the up position. Drove it to work this morning and when I started up I used the spoiler button to lower the spoiler which it did but during my drive the spoiler came up I know I went faster than 75 but alas it stayed up after I slowed down. but did not get any alarm this morning. Any thoughts.
the PASM button has nothing to do with the spoiler. The spoiler is only activated by the spoiler button or by reaching 75 mph. You can read more about the 13 reasons for failure of the wing hydraulics HERE.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the Lucas oil pwr steering stop leak and use it to bleed your pump. Other possibilities could be the micro switches, unlike the 996t in the 997tt you have to buy the harness~100$
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Usually when you have a wing stuck in the deployed UP position, you have 2 possible failures. One is electrical and mainly the micro switches. They are "dumb" limit/contact switches that will work or won't work. You can bypass them to see if the motor will raise and lower the wing by applying 12 volts directly to the electric pump motor.
The second failure is a tough one. Usually it points to a broken nylon support bracket located inside the electric pump assy. It can wedge/bind which causes the dual ram plungers within the pump assy to freeze and NOT allow the lift cylinder to come down. Please understand that each lift cylinder has a spring which allows the wing to return to the lower position. This is evident when you have a slow leak and the wing leaks and stay lowered or caulked at a angle.
It is my opinion that you have a electrical issue if you have dry cylinders. Micro switches.
Note>>I have engineered and manufactured repair cartridges for the hydraulic lift cylinders. This will allow users to replace the $0.15 cent orings whenever you have a future failure. I have redesigned the internal piston/thrust block and provide better/quality orings vs the factory.
I really don't recommend installing large concentration of Lucus or similar product. Why, because the oring will swell causing drag on the pump assy lift block and drive screw. When them break, you have additional cost and repair time needlessly. When you see the hydraulic fluid leaking on the air filter box. Email or call me for the INEXPENSIVE fix.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

good to know
Old 01-20-2018, 03:07 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to jump onto this thread but I had hopefully a simple question:

My spoiler is going up/down fine for now but when I take a look in the engine bay, I can see some residual fluid on the left ram cap. Is this a sign of it going out or could it be the bolts have loosen a little and it just needs tightening?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Did you take the cap off? They just pop off, you might be able to have a better look at where the leak is from..

I'd hazard to say if you have residual fluid you might want to start saving :-) or maybe Kevin's solution above will work?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Did you take the cap off? They just pop off, you might be able to have a better look at where the leak is from..

I'd hazard to say if you have residual fluid you might want to start saving :-) or maybe Kevin's solution above will work?
Yep I popped the cap off the wipe it down in there. Wasn't a lot, but enough to see a small drop starting to form vs the right side being completely dry. I saw there are two bolts on the bottom and the line going into the bottom was able to swivel. Don't know if that means it is loose and hopefully it is a simple fix of tightening bolts or if its on its way out.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Mine was a loose fitting, good luck.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Yep I popped the cap off the wipe it down in there. Wasn't a lot, but enough to see a small drop starting to form vs the right side being completely dry. I saw there are two bolts on the bottom and the line going into the bottom was able to swivel. Don't know if that means it is loose and hopefully it is a simple fix of tightening bolts or if its on its way out.
tighten the brass banjo fitting down and check the other side as well. You lost fluid. It evaporates, meaning if you saw evidence, there might have been more. Look up by the power pack as well above the fan, might be evidence of dirt and dried fluid there as well. Not sure how much lost fluid is still enough to raise and lower the leaking side, while keeping the wing level when up. Matter of time till you have to do the fill and bleed procedure.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Usually when you have a wing stuck in the deployed UP position, you have 2 possible failures. One is electrical and mainly the micro switches. They are "dumb" limit/contact switches that will work or won't work. You can bypass them to see if the motor will raise and lower the wing by applying 12 volts directly to the electric pump motor.
The second failure is a tough one. Usually it points to a broken nylon support bracket located inside the electric pump assy. It can wedge/bind which causes the dual ram plungers within the pump assy to freeze and NOT allow the lift cylinder to come down. Please understand that each lift cylinder has a spring which allows the wing to return to the lower position. This is evident when you have a slow leak and the wing leaks and stay lowered or caulked at a angle.
It is my opinion that you have a electrical issue if you have dry cylinders. Micro switches.
Note>>I have engineered and manufactured repair cartridges for the hydraulic lift cylinders. This will allow users to replace the $0.15 cent orings whenever you have a future failure. I have redesigned the internal piston/thrust block and provide better/quality orings vs the factory.
I really don't recommend installing large concentration of Lucus or similar product. Why, because the oring will swell causing drag on the pump assy lift block and drive screw. When them break, you have additional cost and repair time needlessly. When you see the hydraulic fluid leaking on the air filter box. Email or call me for the INEXPENSIVE fix.
Good to know Kevin! Always top notch

Quick Reply: Spoiler alert