Sponsored by:

Cobb AP3 on 997.2 TTS - Small piece of Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cobb AP3 on 997.2 TTS - Small piece of Advice

quick note if helpful to other non professional end users about BATTERY CHARGER AMPERAGE necessary during the ECU flash
- the standard Ctek or Porsche battery charger did not suffice for the Cobb Accessport flash (it did not in my case, can't opine more generally than that).
- My ECU Flash was interrupted between steps - after the ECU backup step and before the actual flashing with a "Can't Connect/Wrong way street sign graphic" error while car on the the 5Amp CTek. New CPO Car with Dealer stated new battery last month but who knows.
Cobb was super helpful and attentive and in the end provided all the support to get past this short term annoyance
SOLUTION seems to ensure that you connect a 10AMP to 15AMP batter charger. No Less but also no more (risks to ECU mentioned by Cobb)

Suggestions (to Cobb)
- can you include this as a pre-flight step to the Quick Start or Documentation - i believe you are planning to do so in next reprinting
- any chance the "Can't Connect" Accessport error can be customized to point to the Electrical charge/load/amp test failure as opposed to a data connection issue?
- can you ensure that all the support team narrows to a consistent answer on BC Amperage? My first call was "anything over 10A will work", then Call2 "Nope, 10A to 12A, don't get the 15A it may harm" then finally Call3 "10A to 20A" which allowed me to go back and buy the retail 15A from Call 2.

Small hickup perfectly handled in the end by Cobb (profs/tuners probably already know all this - so value only to end muppets like me)

Too much snow in Northeast to push the car but first drive was full of smiles.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know whether it's specified in the manual, but I remember back when I was looking into it myself, one of the Cobb reps who often posts here had warned about that. That is, making sure that you have a charger sufficient enough to handle the load, and that the standard CTEK type tenders many of us use will not be adequate.

Anyhow, glad you got everything to work and hope you soon have the chance to enjoy it. I'm hoping some the snow melt and upcoming rain will wash away much of the salt here so I can take out mine as well.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

deleted
Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 AM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of the very first V1 access ports back in 2004, and this exact same thing happened to my old WRX. bricked my ECU, had to send it to Cobb to be fixed.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:55 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
quick note if helpful to other non professional end users about BATTERY CHARGER AMPERAGE necessary during the ECU flash
- the standard Ctek or Porsche battery charger did not suffice for the Cobb Accessport flash (it did not in my case, can't opine more generally than that).
- My ECU Flash was interrupted between steps - after the ECU backup step and before the actual flashing with a "Can't Connect/Wrong way street sign graphic" error while car on the the 5Amp CTek. New CPO Car with Dealer stated new battery last month but who knows.
Cobb was super helpful and attentive and in the end provided all the support to get past this short term annoyance
SOLUTION seems to ensure that you connect a 10AMP to 15AMP batter charger. No Less but also no more (risks to ECU mentioned by Cobb)

Suggestions (to Cobb)
- can you include this as a pre-flight step to the Quick Start or Documentation - i believe you are planning to do so in next reprinting
- any chance the "Can't Connect" Accessport error can be customized to point to the Electrical charge/load/amp test failure as opposed to a data connection issue?
- can you ensure that all the support team narrows to a consistent answer on BC Amperage? My first call was "anything over 10A will work", then Call2 "Nope, 10A to 12A, don't get the 15A it may harm" then finally Call3 "10A to 20A" which allowed me to go back and buy the retail 15A from Call 2.

Small hickup perfectly handled in the end by Cobb (profs/tuners probably already know all this - so value only to end muppets like me)

Too much snow in Northeast to push the car but first drive was full of smiles.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! We will certainly pass along this along to the appropriate software engineers and see if this something we can include in a future update. It can be a bit frustrating not knowing what the particular error message is for, and so narrowing that down would make things a bit easier.

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Quick Reply: Cobb AP3 on 997.2 TTS - Small piece of Advice