Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Throttle Body be repaired or must it be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a Throttle Body be repaired or must it be replaced?

Dealer says one of the motors had died in my TB and hence the car thinks its at WOT when it is not. Dealer quoting $950 for parts and labor saying it needs a new TB. The car has an AWE 750R kit and AWE tells me it's a OEM 997 GT3 TB not the TT factory unit.

Suggestions?

Tom
Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

You can fins that throttle body all day for less than $300. ebay has dozens, some new, some used for like 150.

If you are handy, diy the install or use a good indy should save you at least 500 or so
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

While I am a newbie to the fly by wire TB's out there, the noise you had sounds like it was eating itself, and while you might be able to repair it by replacing the drive mechanism on the side, I doubt the dealer will. I have never tried this and the problem based on what I can see is the way it is clipped to the metal body. It looks like you can pop them off, but I have no idea where you would get the gearing/motor unless you scavenged it from another TB, I am not sure if they are available as separate pieces and worse the problem might be with the TB itself and not the motor/gearing.

Anyway, doing a little research it looks like if you already have a GT3 82mm TB then you ought to have the plenum adapter for it, so if you are handy at all, pick up a used GT3 TB (I did not look up the part number) and replace it yourself.

If you are handy and don't mind turning a wrench, I bet you can do it for less than $200 bucks for the part and your labor. A quick search shows them from $150 to $1000 from ebay to Suncoast to ECS (ECS I think includes the plenum which you do not need).

Ed
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Default TB

Thanks for the help. Turns out the part # AWE gave is for 2009 TT or GT2. I’ll end up paying Porsche tax this time around, they have my car and part comes in Monday. Hopefully all will be good after that.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Default TB

Originally Posted by lliejk
While I am a newbie to the fly by wire TB's out there, the noise you had sounds like it was eating itself, and while you might be able to repair it by replacing the drive mechanism on the side, I doubt the dealer will. I have never tried this and the problem based on what I can see is the way it is clipped to the metal body. It looks like you can pop them off, but I have no idea where you would get the gearing/motor unless you scavenged it from another TB, I am not sure if they are available as separate pieces and worse the problem might be with the TB itself and not the motor/gearing.

Anyway, doing a little research it looks like if you already have a GT3 82mm TB then you ought to have the plenum adapter for it, so if you are handy at all, pick up a used GT3 TB (I did not look up the part number) and replace it yourself.

If you are handy and don't mind turning a wrench, I bet you can do it for less than $200 bucks for the part and your labor. A quick search shows them from $150 to $1000 from ebay to Suncoast to ECS (ECS I think includes the plenum which you do not need).

Ed
New 2009 tt TB installed by dealer. My p-tech who has been in the business a very long time said he had never seen what happened to my TB. In the photos you will notice some of the teeth on the inner plastic gear chewed off. My TB became stuck in the WOT position. Have no idea why that happened? Because my car had a AWE 750R kit the TB was not the 2007 TB that came on the car but AWE uses a 2009 TB from a TT, GT2 which has a larger bore. Yes it was eating itself.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, I didn't know the 09 had a bigger tb
c
Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

I could be wrong but I think the TB was from an '09 GT2 and I think that does have the larger bore.

Ed
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Interesting, I didn't know the 09 had a bigger tb
c

My Porsche tech said the 2007 was smaller than the 09. Not sure about the 2008.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by lliejk
I could be wrong but I think the TB was from an '09 GT2 and I think that does have the larger bore.

Ed

When I looked up the part number at Sonnen Porsche it said TT, GT2 as well as some Panamera's.

Quick Reply: Can a Throttle Body be repaired or must it be replaced?