Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About the Cobb 997.2 Turbo / PDK Stage 1, anyone try it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default About the Cobb 997.2 Turbo / PDK Stage 1, anyone try it yet?

Anyone lived with the
- 997.2 Cobb Stage 1 Tune ONLY MSRP $1,950
AP3-POR-002
https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...he-997-2-turbo)
or tried the
- COMBINED 997.2 Cobb Stage 1 Tune WITH PDK flashing MSRP $2,650
AP3-POR-002-PDK
https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...he-997-2-turbo

If so a few questions from 997.2 2011 PDK TTS owner....
(which is NOT looking to stage 2 or 3 yet)

Tune
1. does it reduce turbo lag? much discussion on the 991 forum about how much it does there but what's the experience in the 997.2
2. some comments on some threads point to high turbo PSI (like aver 22). i believe the 997.2 TTS has larger turbos than the 991.1 (feel free to correct), does that mean the 997.2 if better abe to handle the larger increase in boost?
3. what do you thin in your experience is the biggest difference of the Tune against stock?

PDK
4. rumors (from cobb literature) that the PDK remapping brings a bit more 991 PDK smoothness to the 997.2 PDK but at the same time longer gears and faster shifts. that seems like too many good things at the same time?
Is the point of the PDK tune to teach the 997.2 some of the lessons learned and implemented later in 991.1?
5. some comments have pointed out that the car seems more maniac post-tune at low revs and in city driving, that it looses the PDK-guesses-what-i-want predictive gearing in non-spirited driving. Thoughts?
6. can you operate the PDK after-tune back in a "normal" mode (meaning closer to current for city driving) or are the PDK shift maps all changed to more aggressive? Do you lose the non-manic (aka boring but useful) behavior in normal commuting? Or do you need un-flash the PDK to tame the beast back?

Both
7. Do you undo the Tune when you bring the car back to the dealer for service? Do they care? I know each service experience is different but interested in how open people are with their P service dealer about the Tune being on.
8. do you ever undo the Tune? why?
9. any regrets or anything on the wishlist?

The combined tuned seems pretty great as an upgrade to the 997.2.
Any other impressions, regrets, recommendations?
Finally, worth it over all? No brainer? Missing something?

Last edited by urbanscribe; 01-04-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:30 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Howdy,

In regards to the ECU tune, you will absolutely see improved turbo response and higher boost pressures helping lead towards more power. This is coupled with our changes in ignition timing and fueling as well to produce a really nice driving car.

For the PDK, we increase the clutch clamping force, shift speeds, and shift schedule to mimic a more spirited driving experience while also maintaining a logical driving experience in the "normal" setting. You will find the car will shift at speeds very similar to the 991 cars. We have gotten a lot of positive feedback in regards to everyday street driving and track driving, so the PDK tune is a well-worth-it investment!

Here are the map notes for the ECU and PDK so you can review this information in greater detail The PDK notes will also go over the shift schedules:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...urbo+Map+Notes

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...r+987.2+Cayman

You will want to uninstall the Accessport (both ECU and PDK) before visiting a dealership. Some dealerships mind mods, some don't, but it's always good to play it safe and remove any trace of having a tune on the car.

Hope that helps, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
porschebuddy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charles/COBB,

Will you have an update for the 997.2 PDK map below? Please.

COBB Sequential Style: All COBB Aggressive and COBB Sport features plus Reversed Shift Stalk, Idle Creep Disabled, Dual Paddle Neutral, and Kickdown Disable
Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM
VRV000
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I added the stage 1 + PDK tune a few weeks ago. I am not **** about doing detailed performance comparisons, so I won't give you specific responses to your questions, however... The car feels noticeably more responsive and definitely more 'alive' than before and therefore more fun to drive (not just flat out, but around town as well).

Quick Reply: About the Cobb 997.2 Turbo / PDK Stage 1, anyone try it yet?