Sponsored by:

Anyone ever had this? Weird sound at turn off motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever had this? Weird sound at turn off motor

Stereo if off and I'm at full stop. I turn the key off and hear this. Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 12-28-2017, 09:10 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Default Let me try again

Well for some reason it's not wanting to upload the clip??
Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Is it 2 short metallic sounds?

This is the turbo actuators returning to a home/known position. Completely normal..
Old 12-29-2017, 04:39 PM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see a clip still. Maybe try youtube?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Default noise

Let's try this.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Do you get the same sound if it's shutdown with the clutch depressed?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Do you get the same sound if it's shutdown with the clutch depressed?

Haven't tried that but certainly will and update here. Thanks!

Tech at dealer seems to think it's coming from the throttle body.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No answer but it sounds to me that the trigger for the sound is expected but whatever mechanism is supposed to run, is lose or has stripped gears or some such. I do have a short winding sound on mine at shutdown but it sounds much more normal than this. I assumed the car is parking something back into position. It would make sense for the VTG actuators to get reset like that so I'd check on them to make sure they aren't loose.
Another crazy idea - I wonder if it could be related to the hill-assist brake operation...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by caslca
No answer but it sounds to me that the trigger for the sound is expected but whatever mechanism is supposed to run, is lose or has stripped gears or some such. I do have a short winding sound on mine at shutdown but it sounds much more normal than this. I assumed the car is parking something back into position. It would make sense for the VTG actuators to get reset like that so I'd check on them to make sure they aren't loose.
Another crazy idea - I wonder if it could be related to the hill-assist brake operation...
Agree it could be something "stripped".. You could use a mechanics stethscope and touch the TB mechanism during the shutdown to see if it's coming from there..

Is this a .1 or .2? Your photo shows a .2 bumper but your signature says its a .1? No hill assist on the .1s.. (at least none to my knowledge..)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Throttle body returns to initial position. Motor driven system. Remove it and disassemble it look for lose fasteners.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:16 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by caslca
Interesting point about Hill Assist if the car has it. It's a 2007 MT and today while parked on a slight inclined driveway when I turned the car off it did not make that sound at all? It does when on a level driveway in Neutral with parking brake on .
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by saabin
Agree it could be something "stripped".. You could use a mechanics stethscope and touch the TB mechanism during the shutdown to see if it's coming from there..

Is this a .1 or .2? Your photo shows a .2 bumper but your signature says its a .1? No hill assist on the .1s.. (at least none to my knowledge..)

.1 MT turbo. The throttle body is from AWE for the kit on the car. In speaking with tech assistance today from AWE they mentioned it's a Porsche part from a GT3. The description from the shop in Houston who installed the kit for prior owner says "Large bore AWE tuning 997tt throttle body", so I don't think it's the stock unit that came with the car.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Throttle body returns to initial position. Motor driven system. Remove it and disassemble it look for lose fasteners.

Yep that's pretty much what tech at Porsche said to do. It's a little beyond my scope of what I can do I think. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 AM
ThewhippetsS5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine makes a similar sound without the clutch being depressed, but it's gone when you hold in the clutch and then turn the engine off. Been told that it's a normal thing and not to worry. I also have the 750R kit if that helps!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Well it finally gave out! I started the car and it began to run very rough with idle jumping all around the place and car shaking some. Pulled these codes:

PO638: Throttle actuator control range/performance bank 1

P2080: Exhaust gas temp sens circ range/perf bank1 and sens 1

P2082: same as above but bank 2 sens 1

Had to have the car towed to dealer so hoping I don't get hit with a huge repair bill.

Thanks,

Tom

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had this? Weird sound at turn off motor