Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997T: recharge battery thru cigarette lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997T: recharge battery thru cigarette lighter?

Hi, all

One of my bikes did not want to start recently, it was obvious the battery was too drained. I decided to buy a battery charger.

I got CTEK MXS 5.0 Test & Charge.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicl...-0-test-charge

And suddenly it dawned on me: "why don't I use the charger to recond and charge my 997T battery, instead of driving the car every 2/3 weeks purely for battery maintenance?"

I do not want to take the battery out, I do not want the hassle of reprogramming things afterwards.

CTEK supplies a cig plug:

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-cig-plug

Is it possible to recharge the 997 Turbo battery through cigarette lighter outlet?
I believe in order to be able to do this the outlet has to be active when ignition is off. Is it?
Has anyone here recharged through cig outlet?
Any advice, please?

Thank you in advance, people!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Hi, all

One of my bikes did not want to start recently, it was obvious the battery was too drained. I decided to buy a battery charger.

I got CTEK MXS 5.0 Test & Charge.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicl...-0-test-charge

And suddenly it dawned on me: "why don't I use the charger to recond and charge my 997T battery, instead of driving the car every 2/3 weeks purely for battery maintenance?"

I do not want to take the battery out, I do not want the hassle of reprogramming things afterwards.

CTEK supplies a cig plug:

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-cig-plug

Is it possible to recharge the 997 Turbo battery through cigarette lighter outlet?
I believe in order to be able to do this the outlet has to be active when ignition is off. Is it?
Has anyone here recharged through cig outlet?
Any advice, please?

Thank you in advance, people!
The manual for the charger says to connect the charger to the battery. I don't see any adapter that looks like it is intended to connect the charger to the cigarette lighter.

Added: Reading further the charger has the abilty to detect a bad battery, a sulphated battery, can recondition battery, and other things. Almost certainly connecting this charger through the cigarette lighter socket is going to introduce variability in resistance arising from the wiring and connections that runs from the socket eventually to the battery. This might throw off the charger.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:38 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

You can buy an extension cable for this charger, and run the cable from the terminals on the battery, through to the little opening in the plastic that sits just below the wipers; a small section of this plastic pops out, and you can stash the CTEK connecter here.

On a RHD car it's is on the right side, may be different on a LHD car.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:38 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I wired a pigtail to my battery and run it out from under the hood by the wiper when mine is in the garage. I use the Diehard battery maintainer with wifi. Once plugged in I can check it and turn it off remotely.

= http://www.sears.com/diehard-smart-c...&blockType=G10

I can check the charge and stats.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought the similar cigarette lighter adapter for my Noco charger and leave it plugged in all winter thru the auxiliary power port on the side of the console in the passenger side footwell.

​​​Most of the cars on the Porsche dealership floor are charged up like this.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:35 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Question

I appreciate ALL the answers, gentlemen (I assume we are all male here), thank you very much!

Reading through I see two possibilities:

Buy the cig lighter plug and connect the charger through it.
Given Macster's comments I am not sure if this is totally safe given that different currents and voltages will be flowing through the wiring.
On the other hand Dodaleca uses this method to keep his battery charged.

Connect the charger straight to the battery and lead the wiring through the opening under the hood.

I have a few follow up questions:

1. @Dodaleca: you have an aux power port in form of sigarette lighter socket? Is that standard on all 997 Turbos? Can I also charge through lighter socket between the seats? These sockets have to be powered even with ignition off, are they?
2. @Dodaleca: you guide the wires through the slightly open window and you lock the car (or leave it unlocked)?

3. @TBarrow & @nzskater: you connect the chargers straight to the battery, how do you connect: to positive post first, then to negative post, or to positive post and then the negative to some metal part of the car? Do you lock your 911s while you charge the battery or you leave the hood popped and car unlocked?

Thank you all for the education! I've never charged automotive/motorcycle batteries before, therefore all these rookie questions, do not want to do something stupid and kill the battery or worse.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:00 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The charger I use comes with all possible wiring you can think of. Mine is wired to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. This is a low amp maintainer. If your battery is dead this will not work. It will keep it maintained and completely charged at all times. I bring the pigtail out of the hood by the wipers because if you leave the frunk open the light stays on. I lock the car and cover it up. The maintainer sits on the garage floor.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:05 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I use the Porsche battery tender that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It works like a charm and keeps my battery at full capacity. I highly recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
earlyapex (04-29-2021)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

You absolutely can connect the Ctek charger through the cig lighter in the car. The Porsche charger is a re-branded Ctek and allows you to do the same thing. I use the Ctek and charge my 997.2 TTS this way all winter. I run the cable out the window but I keep the windows up. the ctek cord fits between the window and the molding without issue. This is the simplest setup and it works perfectly.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:43 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Thank you all for the answers! :-)

Tequipment charger is not the option for me since I bought a (more universal) charger just now.
I've ordered extension cord and the cig outlet connector, will try that route first and if it does not work I will go straight for the battery.

P.S. It is always a pleasure to see photos of beautiful 997 Turbos, whether big or small (avatar) photos!

Now, as the Swiss say: Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutch ins neue Jahr, mittenand! (= Merry Xmas and a nice slide into the new year, everybody!) :-)
Old 12-24-2017, 11:01 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Crazy
You absolutely can connect the Ctek charger through the cig lighter in the car. The Porsche charger is a re-branded Ctek and allows you to do the same thing. I use the Ctek and charge my 997.2 TTS this way all winter. I run the cable out the window but I keep the windows up. the ctek cord fits between the window and the molding without issue. This is the simplest setup and it works perfectly.
I do the same thing.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

I've used the Porsche Battery Maintainer through the cig plug on my 997.2 GT3RS since it was new, no issues.
I can't comment on the Turbo, as I daily drive it, but would assume it's the same.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Thank you all for the answers! :-)

Tequipment charger is not the option for me since I bought a (more universal) charger just now.
I've ordered extension cord and the cig outlet connector, will try that route first and if it does not work I will go straight for the battery.

P.S. It is always a pleasure to see photos of beautiful 997 Turbos, whether big or small (avatar) photos!

Now, as the Swiss say: Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutch ins neue Jahr, mittenand! (= Merry Xmas and a nice slide into the new year, everybody!) :-)
Just pointing out that while some have gone through the cigarette lighter to charge the battery just because one can get this adapter doesn't mean it is the best way. I'm always leery of supplying any electricity to the car's electrical system.

With a battery charger I think the best way is to connect the battery directly to the battery. For the trunk lid, leaving this open, the in trunk light can be disconnected. When I have brought one of my cars in and watched the tech bring the car into the service bay or have watched a tech drive a car into the service bay the first thing he does is open the front trunk lid and the 2nd is he reaches in and pushes the light housing against its spring to pop it out then disconnects it so the light doesn't remain on all the time. Happens in less time than it takes to read the sentence.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:18 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 CTek using adapter in the footwell plug, I just leave the one half in the cars plug all the time and disconnect via the little quick disconnect on the ctek.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:25 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I have several P cars of various vintages all with cigs chargers. Been using them for year without issue. No 997T but a 930, 911S, 996 and 997 all without issue.
The following users liked this post:
Mundo (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 997T: recharge battery thru cigarette lighter?