Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts
Talking Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll!

Hey guys,

You all waited patiently. The team at Cobb have worked very hard to get this done before the end of the year and it's ready! It's been a pleasure to be a part of the Porsche PDK testing for both hardware and software in the 991 and 997.2. All I can tell you all is that it's pretty awesome!

Full details will be up soon. Enjoy faster, firmer shifts...Higher rpm and shift points...Better paddle response and more capacity without slip and much more including clutch re-learn to calibrate for optimal feel and performance while increasing longevity!

Some fast and fun cars are about to become faster and funner! Feel free to reach out for any help/support and to get it set up on your AP all via email!

OFFICIAL DATA...

COBB Accessport Now Available with PDK Tuning

The Porsche team here at COBB Tuning is extremely excited to announce the newest development of our Accessport for Porsche product line. PDK Tuning is now available for all currently supported 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S vehicles. Similar to our initial PDK Tuning release for 991.1 and 981 vehicles, this release offers users the ability to flash the factory PDK controller with COBB optimized Off The Shelf Map files.

PDK Off The Shelf Maps
Accessports with PDK Flashing enabled will have a variety of Off The Shelf Maps pre-loaded. Choose the best map for your driving style or switch to a more aggressive map for spirited driving sessions or your next HPDE. All OTS maps provided are designed to be used on an otherwise stock PDK transmission. Cars with upgraded clutch packs will require custom tuning which will be available with a future Accesstuner Pro release.
Simulated Stock
COBB Sport
COBB Aggressive
COBB High Torque Aggressive
COBB Sport, COBB Aggressive, and COBB High Torque Aggressive will offer the features below.
Increased Minimum Shift Points
Increased Shift Firmness
Increased Clutch Pressure
Minimized Continuous Clutch Slip
Decreased Shift Time
For all details please visit the PDK Map Notes Page.

Below are examples of shifting behavior when utilizing the COBB PDK OTS Maps and driving the car in Normal and Sport Modes. As you can see, the COBB PDK maps hold gears to a slightly higher RPM so the car remains in the meat of the power band for a bit longer.

When utilizing Sport Mode the minimum RPM is bumped a bit further, represented in the graph below.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Do you anticipate eventually putting your own magic on the Cobb PDK tunes? Does Cobb even provide tools for tuners to tweak the PDK programming like they do for ECU tuning?

Some of the initial feedback from a few Cobb PDK users felt there was some room for improvement in the maps.... (Thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1036...-worth-it.html)
Old 12-24-2017, 01:38 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I appreciate the comment. We’ve actually worked very closely on this one on some test cars including the Pike’s Peak Hillclimb car with Porsche. They’ve put tons and tons of work into it and continue to improve. The latest versions on the 991 for example are pretty outstanding. It’s hard to make a silver bullet because people are using these cars for so many different things now there are five different variants. We always take feedback and are willing to do whatever it takes to meet the requirements of each customer best we can. For now it’s all being done in house at Cobb and they’ve been amazing about it. In the first week 991 came out I believe I did 17 and everyone absolutely loves it. Like any new product there were a few minor glitches but they were addressed and sorted so fast just want to email away. I’ve done about five 997’s so far personally So more feedback to come soon on this particular platform. I also have several cars using the Dodson motorsport clutch I’m excited to see how that feels on the 997 after adding software too!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-24-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Appreciate the feedback... I've been following this product a bit as I'm looking for another 911 to go with (or possibly replace) my 996 turbo, and it will probably be a 991. The PDK cars i've driven without the Sport Chrono 'sport plus' software are a deal-breaker, and the software can't be added like it can in 997 cars, so there are many cars I've seen advertised that I wont even consider because of the lazy-ish pdk performance without Sport +.

I'm really hoping this software will open up the possibility for a non-SC pdk 991 to work for me...
Old 12-26-2017, 04:15 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be nice if this also had a feature that went through the service procedure needed to do a clutch fluid change so one could do that at home.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM
wulfgang
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I noticed a few things that are available for the 991 PDK tunes that didn't get mentioned on the 997.2 notes:

1. The shift lever action can be reversed so that upshifts are pull back, downshifts are push forward, so that it behaves more like other cars, karts, and anything with a sequential gearbox.

2. The tune can be setup so that the car does not roll forward from a stop -- just like the M-DCT in the M3.

Are these features already on the 997.2 tune, or will they be available soon, or are there no plans for them? I know it might sound a little silly, but these features are IMO important features that make double-clutch gearboxes feel like super-duper clutch-free manuals rather than just fast slushboxes.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:49 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey guys,

Kpl, the fill procedure is quite simple. I would gladly help anyone who need assistance with these things and we have done so many services and tens of PDK Dodson upgrades.

Wulfgagng, most all features are the same and there are several to choose from and all are included. The sequential is tricky with the bezel as you can install a GT3 or 991.2 style on the 991 so that it's not backwards. But we can help with that too.

Quick Reply: Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll!