Sponsored by:

Preparing for winter slumber?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Preparing for winter slumber?

Just wondering what everyone does to prep their cars for prolonged storage. I don't plan on driving in any snow or if there is any residual salt on the roads this winter, so I could end up going weeks without driving, maybe longer.

I have a battery tender already that I use.

Do people add fuel stabilizers over the winter? If so what kind?

Store with full tank to reduce condensation build up?

Anything else?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 PM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I do here is fill the tank full with fresh fuel and stabilizer, run the engine to be sure the stabilized fuel is through the system, then connect a battery tender through the cigarette lighter plug. Then I go out at least every few weeks and run the car for a few minutes and roll it back a couple feet to keep the tires from turning square.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:16 AM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by saudio
All I do here is fill the tank full with fresh fuel and stabilizer, run the engine to be sure the stabilized fuel is through the system, then connect a battery tender through the cigarette lighter plug. Then I go out at least every few weeks and run the car for a few minutes and roll it back a couple feet to keep the tires from turning square.
What kind of stabilizer do you use?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No more than a week before i do an oil change. The day of storage i do a full detail of the car, over inflate the tires to 45psi and fill the tank with fresh fuel. Add stabilizer (Stabil) and drive home park in garage on carpet. Hook up battery tender (CTEK) and do any last minute detailing.

Thats it. Dont start or move the car until spring. Starting the car every couple weeks isnt good advice and does more harm than good. My car sits for about 4 months without being touched.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Fresh gas and oil change. A good wash. Then cover with battery tender. That's it for 4-5 months. No gas additive for me. Oh yes, I put it in a CarCapsule. This is because it provides peace of mind from critters.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Put on snow tires and enjoy. its just a car
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,820 Likes on 1,642 Posts

...Then I go out at least every few weeks and run the car for a few minutes ...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is the reason so many garage queens need major engine work at crazy low miles!

General comments:

First, always use Sta-bil fuel stabilizer when the gas in the car will be there for 30+ days, even if that's summer. Modern ethanol gas is **** and breaks down fast.

Second, always use a battery tender on any car that's not driven daily. It does wonders for your battery and entire electrical system.

As for winter storage, it should be done one of 3 ways:

- hibernation style (full detail, oil changes, car cover or bubble, etc, If you are worried about flat spotting, jack the car up BY THE SUSPENSION, not the frame, so the tires are unweighted. But this really is a thing of the past.

- cozy style: similar to above but take it out any sunny, dry chance you get. There are often Cars & Coffee events all year. Early Sunday mornings are a great time to enjoy a car, sans traffic!

- NOT AT ALL! meaning, snow tires and drive it, as mentioned above. Not my choice personally, but I do it with my RWD BMW.

There are books and threads, etc, on the subject. Just please, PLEASE, do not just start a car in the winter without driving it. VERY bad for it. Nothing gets fully and evenly warmed up. Ie, the tranny doesn't get warmed up and even the engine isn't getting evenly warmed up. Start it, run for MAYBE 30 seconds, THEN DRIVE it, gently at first.

Just my $.02, as well as the opinion of many professionals over the years.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh, well I learned something here. I won't start it unless I drive it now.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:30 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,820 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Huh, well I learned something here. I won't start it unless I drive it now.

And while this is a good rule of thumb in general, the Porsche folks are ADAMANT about not driving our cars on short trips either. I'm new to the P-car marque, but I'm being told that stop and go / short trips are the arch enemy of the flat-6. I have a feeling I'll be going to a different 7/11 for milk on Sunday mornings... one at least 20 minutes away! lol Not a bad thing.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 AM
theplings
Racer

I fully agree with not starting it unless you can take it out for a drive and get it up to operating temp
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 AM
JSF721
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I add stabil right before the last fill up, drive a bit to get it through, top off tank, go home detail the car, hook it up to CTek and let her sit until the salt is gone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153378.../shares/BTp58G
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Put on snow tires and enjoy. its just a car
This...but, I won't get to drive it all that often during the winter months. 400 or so miles in, love this car too much to let it sit, but will avoid heavy road salt periods.

Just picked up a CTek 3300 with cigarette adapter.

Anyone know how long I should wait before the green light registers on the Ctek unit? I might have a bad cigarette lighter?

Also, do folks with the lighter adapter lower the window and feed the cord through?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For me it turns green within a few hours. I also crack the window and use the cigarette lighter.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
For me it turns green within a few hours. I also crack the window and use the cigarette lighter.
Good to know.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Snow tires a good detail/protection, and frequent washes. 997 turbo is the ultimate winter car!

Quick Reply: Preparing for winter slumber?