Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 997.1 No start - No crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

I have been waiting for the failure to recur and it has not. Based on how it is behaving I am leaning toward ignition switch.

Obviously if it happens after I replace the switch, I would do the starter. I need to check the wiring now that it starts.

Question: Suppliers? Pelican, Suncoast, AutoAtlanta, someone else?

I will update the thread with any results.

Ed
Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
I have been waiting for the failure to recur and it has not. Based on how it is behaving I am leaning toward ignition switch.

Obviously if it happens after I replace the switch, I would do the starter. I need to check the wiring now that it starts.

Question: Suppliers? Pelican, Suncoast, AutoAtlanta, someone else?

I will update the thread with any results.

Ed
I've bought parts from all the vendors. If you are looking for OEM, it is hard to beat Sunset Porsche. They have a great on-line system and generally, I have found OEM parts less expensive through them rather than from most of the other vendors.

For an ignition switch, which is not terribly expensive, I would opt for the OEM part.

I just checked pricing on Pelican versus Sunset for the switch. Pelican shows it for $203 while Sunset sells it for $163.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Update: I installed a switch as the first step in solving this issue, and so far after 4 starts/stops the vehicle has started each time. Obviously I need more attempts to confirm this, but the last go around prior to replacing the switch, the car would no re-start almost every time after a 20 - 30 minute drive.

Fingers crossed. Will update again if it fails and I move to R&R the starter.

BTW, the space available is quite tight, I had to unhook the brake switch wire in order to get just enough room to do the R&R. I wish the kick panel was 2 piece like my Audi, would have been a breeze if I could have pulled that panel, but looking at what was involved, I decided against trying that.

Ed
Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

So...... cleaned the car up very nice yesterday, drove it around a bit, no issues. Took it out today to ref a couple of games at different rinks, stopped to get gas, get home, turn it off. No start.

So I am sourcing a starter and will do that job next. I will add my old switch to my good used parts pile.

I also have to deal with the clutch slave (disappearing PS fluid) and would like to do both at the same time, but I am not sure which way I want to go, GT2 conversion or just pull the coupler and replace the slave. Decisions, decisions.

Ed
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
So...... cleaned the car up very nice yesterday, drove it around a bit, no issues. Took it out today to ref a couple of games at different rinks, stopped to get gas, get home, turn it off. No start.

So I am sourcing a starter and will do that job next. I will add my old switch to my good used parts pile.

I also have to deal with the clutch slave (disappearing PS fluid) and would like to do both at the same time, but I am not sure which way I want to go, GT2 conversion or just pull the coupler and replace the slave. Decisions, decisions.

Ed
Go BBI slave and dont look back, I personal hated stock clutch pedal feel
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM
black997.1TT MT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I had a similar starting issue recently and had it diagnosed as the starter. The local Porsche service put in a new starter and it was CDN$333 for the labour (to both diagnose and replace) and $995 for the starter (Bosch starter that came with complementary Roadside Assistance for 2 years). Starts great now and clearly turns much faster than the faulty starter did even though it seemed quite normal to me.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Update:

2 things:

1. When I went to pull the starter, I undid the 13mm nut and pulled the 3 large wires and off came the trigger wire from the smaller post. It had no nut on it.

2. When I started to install the reman starter, it was a different size (the windings/motor section was longer), so I checked and it is for a '90 - '98 3.6, not the 997 series

So, 2 more things:

1. I think the starter is OK and I would like to know who pays so little attention to detail they don't secure connections to a part (my guess is the part was replaced unless the 9mm nut tends to come off - which would be a first on any car I have owned)

2. I have to send the improper starter back and depending on what I decide on #1, maybe not re-order the correct one

A non existent nut on the solenoid trigger falls well into the possible explanations for an intermittent and random starter failure. Unfortunately, I should have gone for the dirty job (R&R the starter) before doing the cleaner one (R&R the ignition switch) and saved myself $180 and 2 hours of time. Of course if I choose to re-install the original starter with a nut on the trigger wire, I still may have a problem, but my gut tells me I have found the issue.

My guess is that this will be a first for any 997 owners out there and is a perfect example of why I like to do as much of my own work as possible.

Ed

Quick Reply: 2007 997.1 No start - No crank