Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for 997 Turbo - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking for 997 Turbo - any advice?

Hello, thank you for the all the help and information, this forum has been great source of help.

trying to get used 997.1 2008 or 2009 but some cars have less than 10k miles on the clock. anything to watch out for??? are people swapping gauge clusters? or if the car is sitting in garage too long(like less than 10k in 10yrs), any problem or any particular items that I should inspect?

Thank you again for all the help.

cp
Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Chin Park
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vroomevo
Hello, thank you for the all the help and information, this forum has been great source of help.

trying to get used 997.1 2008 or 2009 but some cars have less than 10k miles on the clock. anything to watch out for??? are people swapping gauge clusters? or if the car is sitting in garage too long(like less than 10k in 10yrs), any problem or any particular items that I should inspect?

cp
my car is a 2007 turbo with 8900miles. I bought it at 8500 and had two PPI done before purchase. I got the fidelity platinum warranty with 100dollar deductible and the car runs great. Everyone at porsche was stunned to see a car this good so as long as you have good service history and do proper PPI you should be good
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

I would recommend going back through at least 5-8 pages on this site, and reading every post about cars for sale and cars sold. You'll find all your answers there. Then, find a nice car, get a pre purchase inspection, they'll probably say it's a great car, then buy it, and post lots of pics here.

You'll be SO HAPPY you did. Just get one, a nice one. Make sure it's the color you like the best, too. They're... pretty. And fast. And Fun as hell.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by vroomevo

cp

Low miles 6+ year old cars not uncommon. Bought a 2003 Turbo in 2009 with just 10K miles on the clock.

My research indicated the mileage was legit and the car came with a 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty.

These are not for the most part daily drivers and thus tend to collect few miles.

One can't know until after but a low miles car say 6 or more years old can have some issues. Maybe my experience with my 996 Turbo was a fluke but after I bought it the car manifested all the "typical" 996 Turbo new car issues -- with just 10K miles the car was still "new", and some odd ones...Typical (996 Turbo) new car issues: clutch accumulator, slave cylinder.

Not so typical: shifter broke. (315K miles on my Boxster and the shifter is stock.) Idler roller/tensioner roller bearing got noisy (two times). Again 315K miles on my Boxster and its on its original idler/tensioner bearings.

Radiator fan motor shaft snapped! Tech said he'd never see this failure before.

Things sort of quieted down and the car came out of warranty 2 years later with about 40K+ miles on it. Thought it was through acting up but...

Spoiler leaked. (Boxster spoiler original and still works fine.) RMS leaked. (Boxster RMS replaced at 25K miles and at 315K+ miles still oil tight.) Water pump leaked at around 120K miles. (Boxster water pump lasted to 172K miles.) Front diff axle flange seals leaked. (Boxster diff axle flange seals are fine. Heck the dust boots lasted over 250K miles.) Radiators leaked. (Boxster radiator are original.) Even the inside rear view mirror leaked. And 25.5 months later its replacement leaked.

I mentioned the Boxster above to show you how the Turbo compared to the Boxster which received and continues to receive lot of use, though not as much as it did. It does around 10K miles a year now. The Turbo around 6K miles a year.

Cars don't like to sit around unused. New they have some resistance to the "ravages of time" but 6+ years I think is past the point the car seals/gaskets/etc can tolerate lack of use (and lack of being exposed to "fresh" lube which helps maintain seal/gasket heath).

Up to you of course. My ~10K car was pristine. Like new. Got it for less than half of what it cost new. So there's that aspect.

About all you can do is give the car a thorough used car check out -- test ride then a test drive -- to make sure the car is not currently manifesting any issues, then afterwards get the car on a lift and carefully check it over for any leak sign or other issues.

The DME engine runtime and overrev counters can be read out and I believe there's also a way to confirm the instrument cluster odometer reading agrees with the reading that is stored elsewhere. A Porsche tech can confirm this if I'm right in my assumption.

You can at least divide the DME engine run time into the odometer miles. About "30mph" is average. Higher average speed is a highway (or track) car. Lower is a boulevard cruiser. A low miles car is probably the later.

A real low average speed can be signs of odometer tampering.

A truly low miles car will probably have its original tires. (My 2003 Turbo did but the dealer replaced them before I picked up the car.) The carpets, pedals, the interior will be pristine. The trunk spare, tool kit, compressor, etc. will be untouched. The brakes will be original and hardly used. (The brakes on my Turbo had the holes full of rust/dust to the point I had to take a round file and clean each hole. The previous owner just washed and washed the car and over time the brake vent holes just filled up with rust/brake dust.)

Ideally you would want to see some record of servicing. Brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years although often this is not followed but maybe you'll find the car had one done. Annual oil changes (again often not followed) but at least an oil change or two over the years.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Sub’d

Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the replies.
will make sure PPI gets done. Many private parties won't like to give DME report... hard time setting up with dealers.
hope i can find the one soon.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:32 AM
bigds01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well hell, I am selling the perfect one 100 miles south to you
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bigds01
Well hell, I am selling the perfect one 100 miles south to you
I don't know how much you're willing to spend for the perfect car but it doesn't get any better than "bigds01" 2009 6MT coupe.

Quick Reply: looking for 997 Turbo - any advice?