Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is considered “High Mileage”??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I picked my 07 Turbo up 4 years ago on 55k miles, it now has 85k miles on it. I paid the equivalent of USD$55k for it, and would expect to sell it for USD$55k today. Don’t be afraid of a high mileage car, but do be afraid of mechanics bills. Get a warranty if you can.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 AM
6S219
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I picked my 07 Turbo up 4 years ago on 55k miles, it now has 85k miles on it. I paid the equivalent of USD$55k for it, and would expect to sell it for USD$55k today. Don’t be afraid of a high mileage car, but do be afraid of mechanics bills. Get a warranty if you can.

My 2 prior Porsche's were both CPO cars so I had piece of mind when driving off the lot. This car (if the purchase goes through) will be from a private party. I was looking for warranty information but was unable to find anything. Do you have any sources I can look into? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:30 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So according to the gentlemen who are saying high mileage cars are worth less...wouldn’t 930 manual turbos in the 1xx,xxx mile range be worth pennies? It’s SO old and probably has SO many miles YUCK!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
So according to the gentlemen who are saying high mileage cars are worth less...wouldn’t 930 manual turbos in the 1xx,xxx mile range be worth pennies? It’s SO old and probably has SO many miles YUCK!
If you listen to some folks here, any Porsche with miles, over revs, mods, paintwork or accident history might as well be parted out for scraps on eBay for pennies on the dollar.

Meanwhile, in the real world, "there's a butt for every seat" plays true and even that 120k-mile example oceancarrera mentioned would certainly find a buyer, particularly if it were maintained well.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I know this thread was started asking about a 997.2TT, and this isn't even a 997.1TT nor even the same engine family as the 997.2TT, but representative of what a Porsche can do when well maintained and cared for:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...0-miles-on-it/

Panorama Magazine did an article on this same car @ 525,000 miles back in 2015 - the couple that owned it (original owners) sold the car to a Porsche tech, who now has it up to 590,000 miles and has apparently strapped larger snails to it now

There is an older fellow here in Toronto with a 1976 930 Turbo, has daily driven it since 1976 and has a ridiculous 1,200,000 KM (725k+ miles) on it.

Maintain a Porsche Turbo and enjoy it, forget about the mileage and resale value. Easier said than done I admit, but these high mileage stories always warm me up.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting. It's hard to measure. You are dealing with what you enjoy in a car. I start to hate a car that sits in the shop with large miles. All of you are in a dream world thinking your Porsche is so refined and special that you can run most of them, on average, into high mileage without any large costs....good luck.
Ceramic brakes, differentials (centers too), CV joints, AC compressors, oil pumps, turbos etc all need replacing after around 80 to 100 grand in miles...but not your car of course.
You think you are saving 20 grand on price then at the end or middle of ownership that money gets spent fixing it. Then what to do you have. A used up car with 30 grand in repairs you will never get back.

My R8 had leaky mag shocks. Three grand a corner. Car has 9000 miles on it. Had a sticky steering wheel paddle. 8500 hundred bucks down Audi's drain...Love certified cars...for life!!

Last edited by oceancarrera; 10-17-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

So you're admitting that owning a low-mileage car isn't a guarantee against huge bills?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
Ceramic brakes, differentials (centers too), CV joints, AC compressors, oil pumps, turbos etc all need replacing after around 80 to 100 grand in miles...but not your car of course.!
Maybe 20 or more years ago this was true with cars, but not so today..

Methinks your Audi experience is clouding your thinking..
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 AM
6S219
Banned

Originally Posted by cstyles
I know this thread was started asking about a 997.2TT, and this isn't even a 997.1TT nor even the same engine family as the 997.2TT, but representative of what a Porsche can do when well maintained and cared for:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...0-miles-on-it/

Panorama Magazine did an article on this same car @ 525,000 miles back in 2015 - the couple that owned it (original owners) sold the car to a Porsche tech, who now has it up to 590,000 miles and has apparently strapped larger snails to it now

There is an older fellow here in Toronto with a 1976 930 Turbo, has daily driven it since 1976 and has a ridiculous 1,200,000 KM (725k+ miles) on it.

Maintain a Porsche Turbo and enjoy it, forget about the mileage and resale value. Easier said than done I admit, but these high mileage stories always warm me up.
“Maintain a Porsche Turbo and enjoy it, forget about the mileage and resale value. Easier said than done I admit, but these high mileage stories always warm me up”

Great advice that I will follow.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just go by my experiences with other high end cars. If they had the same problems with like a Toyota or Acura the cost would be OK. I just can't take that non-certified/insured warranty plunge. I would love to buy a TT/TTS with high mileage too. Especially since I will never drive it much owning too many other cars. I work at home...no commuting.
I see here at this forum that big repairs are not reported much. Maybe you guys are right.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6S219
I went to see the car today and it was immaculate!! Interior looked brand new, paint was in pristine condition.i will have a PPI done next week and if all checks out I think I will go forward with the purchase.

With 77K miles Ian the next major service going to be the 80K? If so what is involved with that service?

Thank You all for you replies!
I'm not quite as hung up on mileage as many others I guess. Probably due to the fact that my two previous Porsche's were long term cars and I had a great experience with reliability- each was well maintained and cared for.

A couple of years ago when I went shopping for my 997.2 Turbo I did consider mileage, but it wasn't my primary concern. I ended up with a 2010 with mileage in the mid 30k range. I did get a CPO car, so that took some of the worry out of the equation. I have had zero issues with the car and love it!

My advice- if the car has been well maintained, the PPI/DME check out clean, and you love the car- go for it. You can buy a Fidelity Platinum policy for it if you want extra peace of mind.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:14 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

So here is my "low mileage" CPO experience.

In 2011 I purchased a CPO 2007 997.1 TT with 29,000 miles (7250 miles per year). CPO was for 2 years or 20K miles, whichever came first. At 2 years & 1 month @ 39,100 miles, I took it in because the front differential was leaking. A compromise with the dealer had them pay 50% of the part ($7500 part) and none of the labor ($1800). At 49,500 miles in 2015 I took it to my favorite wrench in Denver as there was coolant puddling underneath the car. We decided to weld all the fittings and swap out the plastic parts for Sharkwerk aluminum parts. There were several "while you are there" that included clutch, radiator, water pump and plugs. The spoiler was bad as well and we tried at first to use the electric system that a guy has come up with but it did not fit the 997 tt at the time, so my wrench rebuilt the hydraulic mechanism that the car came with.

I paid $78K for the car and have put another $18K or so into these repairs. If I looked at this as a financial investment, I would never have bought the car. If I worried about how much repairs were going to cost, I would have never bought the car. If I worried about keeping the mileage low, I would have never bought the car. I bought the car because it is a well made, fast, fun vehicle that puts a smile on my face every time I get in it, even if only going to the store.

I am fortunate to have several other cars in the fleet that generate the looks and wows from others including two Astons, an R8, and oddly enough my '84 Carrera Cab, which seems to get more attention than the 997.1 TT. But I truly get more pleasure out of driving the 997.1 TT than any of the other cars. Nothing quite like all wheel drive assisted boost.

My car now has 62K miles on it and is driven and enjoyed often. My wife and two adult sons drive all the cars often. Our view is that financial investments in the family do not have wheels on them. The cars are what we all enjoy as a result of the fruits of other investment scenarios we are involved in.

I love being the guy who buys used cars from someone who valued low mileage. Just a better starting point for me to enjoy the hell out of what was designed to be driven and enjoyed. Others can have the museum pieces.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

In Europe anything over 80,000 milles is considered "high millage". However, it really depends on the age of the car. I would say 6,000 milles a year on average its considered "standard". A proper maintenance and mechanics bills is also a good point.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by robhamster
So here is my "low mileage" CPO experience.

In 2011 I purchased a CPO 2007 997.1 TT with 29,000 miles (7250 miles per year). CPO was for 2 years or 20K miles, whichever came first. At 2 years & 1 month @ 39,100 miles, I took it in because the front differential was leaking. A compromise with the dealer had them pay 50% of the part ($7500 part) and none of the labor ($1800). At 49,500 miles in 2015 I took it to my favorite wrench in Denver as there was coolant puddling underneath the car. We decided to weld all the fittings and swap out the plastic parts for Sharkwerk aluminum parts. There were several "while you are there" that included clutch, radiator, water pump and plugs. The spoiler was bad as well and we tried at first to use the electric system that a guy has come up with but it did not fit the 997 tt at the time, so my wrench rebuilt the hydraulic mechanism that the car came with.

I paid $78K for the car and have put another $18K or so into these repairs. If I looked at this as a financial investment, I would never have bought the car. If I worried about how much repairs were going to cost, I would have never bought the car. If I worried about keeping the mileage low, I would have never bought the car. I bought the car because it is a well made, fast, fun vehicle that puts a smile on my face every time I get in it, even if only going to the store.

I am fortunate to have several other cars in the fleet that generate the looks and wows from others including two Astons, an R8, and oddly enough my '84 Carrera Cab, which seems to get more attention than the 997.1 TT. But I truly get more pleasure out of driving the 997.1 TT than any of the other cars. Nothing quite like all wheel drive assisted boost.

My car now has 62K miles on it and is driven and enjoyed often. My wife and two adult sons drive all the cars often. Our view is that financial investments in the family do not have wheels on them. The cars are what we all enjoy as a result of the fruits of other investment scenarios we are involved in.

I love being the guy who buys used cars from someone who valued low mileage. Just a better starting point for me to enjoy the hell out of what was designed to be driven and enjoyed. Others can have the museum pieces.

My 2 cents.

Could not agree more!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:23 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My 2011 TTS speedo just turned 40K miles and my car still runs and performs like new. I thought I would keep it under 40K for resale purposes but now that it has eclipsed 40K I really don't care anymore and will drive it like it's supposed to be. A Porsche will last a long time and I don't think miles are a huge factor as long as it's been well maintained and documented.

BTW mt 2011 CTT just turned 60K and it's rock solid too.

Last edited by 4ocious; 10-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: What is considered “High Mileage”??