Sponsored by:

Anyone using a clutch stop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone using a clutch stop?

My car has a GT2 slave conversion (with Sachs "2.5" clutch) and does not require 100% fully depressing/releasing the clutch in order for engagement/disengagement. So, I began thinking if a clutch stop might even further improve the driving experience.

I see RSS has an option but is anyone here using it (or another stop)? Would be great to hear from someone running a clutch stop in a 997TT.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
My car has a GT2 slave conversion (with Sachs "2.5" clutch) and does not require 100% fully depressing/releasing the clutch in order for engagement/disengagement. So, I began thinking if a clutch stop might even further improve the driving experience.

I see RSS has an option but is anyone here using it (or another stop)? Would be great to hear from someone running a clutch stop in a 997TT.
Would you have issues starting the car if you couldn't fully press the clutch pedal?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only considered this with the ERP 3X setup. With a short window of friction engagement, you almost need it.

Otherwise, you have the wrong clutch.

My 4.0 clutch was very easy to drive with great hold.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by theplings
Would you have issues starting the car if you couldn't fully press the clutch pedal?
No, you just need to be able to push the clutch far enough to actuate the switch. I am only taking about eliminating the last 0.5-1" of pedal travel.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had one for a few months on a stock clutch. Like it. Easier to guess the bite point.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
I've had one for a few months on a stock clutch. Like it. Easier to guess the bite point.
Are you using the RSS stop or something else?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Homemade clutch stop. 10 mins to design and install.

Still hoping the GT2 parts will be the final solution.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Homemade clutch stop. 10 mins to design and install.

Still hoping the GT2 parts will be the final solution.
That's great - amazing how simple these can be. Any pics of yours?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Reluctant to share this - but here goes:

The lever for the clutch pedal has a C shape cross section. So the back of the arm is hollow or concave.

Take one of those LED flashlights they hand out at Harbor Freight sometimes for free. Hold it up to the back of the clutch lever. You can feel that it fits in the groove quite securely. Two Zip-ties. Done.

It's been on there for a few months and I feel the clutch bite point is easier to judge.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Thanks much for sharing. While some purists may be cringing, I love to see the DIY innovation.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

OK now the whole world knows:

To your original post, I would recommend trying a (purchased) clutch stop. It increases your confidence in clutch release that you can enjoy that light turning green without worry of stall or smokey clutch.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:47 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx

I put an RSS in my 6t that runs a Clutch Masters pp where the engagement is high.
There's no need to press the clutch in very far and I like the stop.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

OK now the whole world knows:
It's a Porsche for god's sake... Shouldn't you at least be zip-tying a high end tactical flashlight to the clutch lever?

(Seriously though, whatever works! Form follows function...)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:06 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Thanks Mike Billings and others for chiming in. I ended up doing a version of the "Billings Mod" yesterday. I took a piece of spare PVC I had, painted it flat black, and then wire tied it to the back of my clutch pedal. The PVC is about 1.25" diameter.

While I had to mess with the position of it a little to ensure the clutch switch could still engage (to start the car...I don't want to bypass this) -- OMG, it makes a massive difference in driveability in my application. As I mentioned, I have a GT2 slave conversion with Sachs "2.5" clutch setup and now the travel to engage/disengage the clutch is considerably shorter and makes it much easier to modulate and sync speed with the shifter during shifting. In addition, the shorter clutch pedal travel now pretty much negates the increased effort needed because of the GT2 slave. It really is a win-win.

Long live the "Billings Mod"! I consider this an absolute must try (if not must have) if you have a similar setup to mine.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I put an RSS in my 6t that runs a Clutch Masters pp where the engagement is high.
There's no need to press the clutch in very far and I like the stop.
There were 2 concerns I had about the RSS stop...

1. The price - while not exorbitantly expensive, $125+ seems like a bit much for this "mod"
2. The potential for carpet wear - I thought that the part that contacts the carpeted firewall may not distribute its force over a large enough area, causing the carpet to rip. Is that true?

Quick Reply: Anyone using a clutch stop?