Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 build thoughts before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

If you've driven it and love it, if you simply love it and couldn't live without it, definitely just get it! If you really want adaptive sport seats (I sat in them both of course and the regular sport seats hurt my back for some odd reason), then HOLD OUT FOR WHAT YOU WANT FOR SURE!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My '09 has Adaptive Sport Seats and heated seats (and LSD, MT, PCCB's, Short Shifter, Thicker Leather Steering Wheel, Universal Audio Interface (different, I think, than the bluetooth phone option), and a few other goodies, but not overbuilt). The one you are looking at has a decent build sheet. I love the Adaptive seats. When I was buying new, dealer had two possible cars. I had, after a LOT of thought on color, decided to stick with black like my prior 997S. They had one, but it had standard seats. Finally ended up going with the Basalt Black car on the lot, partly because of the Adaptive seats, although it really had pretty much the perfect build sheet for me.

Seems like yesterday, despite being 8.5 years. Gave the GM a check for the car, told him not to deposit it until I called him, he handed me the keys and the car. Still love my dealer. (GM is still a very good friend, and by pure coincidence he now lives 6 doors down from me and I see him often.) I still love this car!

Unless you order build to suit, you will likely never find the "perfect" build. Before opting for the TT, I was first on my dealer's list for a '10 GT3, which I planned to do build to suit and paint to sample, but ultimately realized with young kids and no back seats, that wouldn't work so well. I did do a build to suit '09 Cayenne S for my wife, which was fun (and bought it the same weekend as my TT with the same "don't deposit the check until I give you the OK").

Sounds like you are pretty close on this one if it all checks out.

My bucket list still includes a build to suit, paint to sample, Euro delivery 911, but at my age that's probably not gonna happen.

Last edited by jcnesq; 09-14-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Just as an FYI, here's the '09 TT order guide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2009turbo Order Guide.pdf (849.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Just as an FYI, here's the '09 TT order guide.
That is very cool - thank you!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I must apologize - for whatever reason I was thinking cooled seats vs. heated seats for a cab when I initially made my comment. I too had heated Sport Seats. I think cooled seats conflict with sport adaptive seats (sorry).
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Usually they do conflict. When I ordered my 11 tts, I had to get special permission from Germany to have the only tts in the country with heated and cooled adaptive sport seats, it was listed as "P9999 special customer request" under exclusive options..
Old 09-14-2017, 02:13 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Usually they do conflict. When I ordered my 11 tts, I had to get special permission from Germany to have the only tts in the country with heated and cooled adaptive sport seats, it was listed as "P9999 special customer request" under exclusive options..
Sweet, I would love to have cooled seats too. They do make a difference in warmer/humid climates.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Reviving this thread... The OP passed on this car, and I am considering it.

PPI (done by Porsche Dealer) showed only an airbag light, and noted that "Found clutch engagement to be near the top of the pedal stroke." Is this indicative of a prematurely worn clutch (at 25k miles)?

Rev report is as follows:
Range 1: 11876
Range 2: 1926
Range 3: 215
Range 4: 3
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0

Considering the build specs, mileage, DME report and PPI, as well as lack of some desirable options like PCCBs and Adaptive Sport Seats (it has standard heated Sport Seats, as previously noted), and the fact that we are heading in to fall/winter, what is a fair price to pay for this car? Dealer is asking $83,600 (MSRP $139,145 per build sheet).

Appreciate any input!

Last edited by IndyM; 09-19-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyM
Reviving this thread... The OP passed on this car, and I am considering it.

PPI (done by Porsche Dealer) showed only an airbag light, and noted that "Found clutch engagement to be near the top of the pedal stroke." Is this indicative of a prematurely worn clutch (at 25k miles)?

Rev report is as follows:
Range 1: 11876
Range 2: 1926
Range 3: 215
Range 4: 3
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0

Considering the build specs, mileage, DME report and PPI, as well as lack of some desirable options like PCCBs and Adaptive Sport Seats (it has standard heated Sport Seats, as previously noted), and the fact that we are heading in to fall/winter, what is a fair price to pay for this car? Dealer is asking $83,600 (MSRP $139,145 per build sheet).

Appreciate any input!
If you can ask the OP why he passed on the car? Maybe he found something that was a deal killer?

No experience with the 997 Turbo but my 2003 Turbo's clutch engagement -- and this is true of my 2002 Boxster as well -- engages a bit higher up the pedal travel than I was used to with other cars.

With my Boxster the signs of a worn clutch -- besides slippage or possibly grabby engagement -- is a hard to depress pedal.

With the Turbo clutch since it is boosted I don't think a worn clutch would be detectable via the amount of effort required to depress the clutch pedal. The boost feature would mask a worn clutch.

Had the transmission out of my Turbo at around 120K miles for an RMS leak. The clutch disc had no measureable wear. These clutches if not abused/misused can deliver "big" miles. (Currently the factory clutch in the Turbo has over 157K miles. The Boxster clutch has over, just over, 315K miles.)

On a road test with the engine/drivetrain fully up to temperature with the transmission in 4th or 5th gear around 2K RPMs floor the gas pedal. I mean shove it to the carpet right *now* and hold it. If the engine RPMs change -- go up -- with no corresponding increase in vehicle speed the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

Airbag warning light... I have some experience with an airbag warning light with my 2002 Boxster. The airbag warning light can be something as simple as a seat belt buckle perhaps or far worse.

In the case of my Boxster it was worse. Briefly, there were no airbag controller errors. Tech checked seat belts and electrical connections. No problems found. After consulting with Porsche he replaced the airbag controller. The airbag warning light stayed on. Since he did not associate wth controller with the car he was able to return the controller to stock and I was not charged for it.

With permission of another Boxster owner the tech moved the cluster from this other Boxster to my car and found the airbag light went off.

The cluster was deemed bad. A new cluster was IIRC around $2600 and not an option for a 2002 Boxster with close -- at that time -- to 300K miles on it.

I sent the cluster out for "repair". Came back and the airbag light remained on. After some time sent it out again and again it came back with the airbag light still on.

The repair shop told me there was one other option but I elected to forego a 3rd attempt at repair and instead I found and bought a good used cluster (at Parts Heaven) for $495 and then had the Porsche tech install it. The airbag light is now off.

As I expected the tech was unable to transfer the odometer reading from the old cluster to the "new" cluster but other than that the new (used) cluster looks factory, is factory.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Toddvr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only passed because it wasn't "the one" for me. Love everything about the car and all the nice body color painted goodies on the interior. IndyM has my full blessing to get this beauty.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

79-80k
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toddvr
Only passed because it wasn't "the one" for me. Love everything about the car and all the nice body color painted goodies on the interior. IndyM has my full blessing to get this beauty.
I wouldn't have made a move on the car without the OP's blessing! Don't want to **** off the Porsche Gods and have bad car-karma!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 PM
IndyM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
79-80k
Thanks, TT Surgeon. Appreciate the input. That's ballpark for what I was thinking. Will shoot for lower and see where it goes... I'd feel "pretty good" in the $77k range, and "fair" up to $80k or so.

Any other input from the group? Again, appreciate the thoughts and guidance.

Quick Reply: 2009 build thoughts before purchase