997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ME WITH THIS DME REPORT PLEASE ASAP 997 turbo

Old 08-30-2017, 02:12 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Was the car tracked? I was looking at an 08 that I passed on a little while back with 29k miles, about 20k on the track - the Rev reports are very similar.

During it's track life it needed new turbos and a new transmission. The Indy that did my PPI didn't object to the rev report - but as soon as he put it on the lift it just had never ending odds and ends that needed to be fixed - and the price didn't reflect it's condition.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:16 AM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
That DME report itself doesn't concern me too much, but I did a fair amount of research on tuners a while back when I was in the market, and I've never heard of an "RSC tuning".. could be a reseller of a trusted tune or some hack job..
Thanks! I plan on getting the car dynoed and tuned when I get it over here.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 AM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skwerl
You kind of have to make your own judgment call on the mods and whether you like them or not. If they're mods you'd do anyway then you can get them at a great discount here. It sounds like you like the car, and that DME report wouldn't scare me away if the rest really appealed to me.

I agree on looking into RSC, I've never heard of them and people usually seem to go with the same 5-6 "big name" tunes.
Thanks for the advice, I plan on getting the tune checked out and the car dyno. I am in Northern California any of those 5-6 big names out here or are they plug and play tunes?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 AM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theplings
Was the car tracked? I was looking at an 08 that I passed on a little while back with 29k miles, about 20k on the track - the Rev reports are very similar.

During it's track life it needed new turbos and a new transmission. The Indy that did my PPI didn't object to the rev report - but as soon as he put it on the lift it just had never ending odds and ends that needed to be fixed - and the price didn't reflect it's condition.
This car is a 07 and i don't think it has ever been tracked the ppi went perfect on everything but the revs.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Spens
AutoX

Okay so if we can agree that the operating Hour is at least 1266 and the car is supposed to have 30.000 miles on it. 30,000 / 1266 = average speed of 23.7 miles per hour. Normal average speed is somewhere between 30-50mph depending of the traffic it is driven.

Normally you always get a readout on operating hours, something doesn't seem right here. I would ask for total operating hours again together with a very good explanation on the very low average speed of the car.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:14 PM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spens
Okay so if we can agree that the operating Hour is at least 1266 and the car is supposed to have 30.000 miles on it. 30,000 / 1266 = average speed of 23.7 miles per hour. Normal average speed is somewhere between 30-50mph depending of the traffic it is driven.

Normally you always get a readout on operating hours, something doesn't seem right here. I would ask for total operating hours again together with a very good explanation on the very low average speed of the car.
At first the service guy at Porsche told me the readouts don't give that number, we all know that's incorrect. The when I called back he said this car wasn't giving it, maybe due to the software or tune? I don't know if he didn't take the time to look, they were slammed and he was being short the whole time. I am across the usa having this done to this car. That average speed is normal I have read for city driven cars like this one was? Are cars like this mileage easy to tamper with?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Spens
AutoX

I'm not an expert but it should be fairly easy to tamper with the odometer but somewhat harder to change the engines operating hours. As far as i am aware you can only erase engine data totally and not change it.
The dealer could be right about the missing data when tampered with the ECU / software.

But as someone mentioned earlier if the price is right, you like it and you can get a warranty with the car you should be safe.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Spens
AutoX

By the way the over rev data can translate in to the following timeframe:
level 3: 6456 ignitions = approximately 16,8 seconds (in total)
Level 4: 2470 ignitions = approximately 6,3 seconds (in total)

Just to put the data in perspective :-)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

The dme report ABSOLUTELY gives you hours. I own a PIWIS 2 and went to the factory training for it. Tell the shop to give you a copy of the VAL - Vehicle Analysis Log. It is the first thing you do (it makes you) when you plug the PIWIS in.

They have the VAL already - what you are looking at is a tiny portion of it. The VAL is about 25 pages long on average. Lots of stuff will be useless to you, but still nice to have. The VAL also displays trouble codes that do not trigger a CEL.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbri916
From what they said is the hours next to the over revs is the amount of hours ago since the over rev occurred...
I'm sure you already figured this out from the above comments, but the hours shown are the hours the over-rev occurred at, not the hours since the over-rev. Which is why everyone wants to know the current hours...

But given the frequency the car hit range 1, I bet it's pretty close to the 1266 hours of the last range 1.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 AM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catorce
The dme report ABSOLUTELY gives you hours. I own a PIWIS 2 and went to the factory training for it. Tell the shop to give you a copy of the VAL - Vehicle Analysis Log. It is the first thing you do (it makes you) when you plug the PIWIS in.

They have the VAL already - what you are looking at is a tiny portion of it. The VAL is about 25 pages long on average. Lots of stuff will be useless to you, but still nice to have. The VAL also displays trouble codes that do not trigger a CEL.
I contacted the dealership again, and they said the VAL Showed no trouble codes, they go over them if they do in the PPI but they didn't see the total hours. They said they cant go back and look it over because the car isnt there? Is that some bs?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 AM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'm sure you already figured this out from the above comments, but the hours shown are the hours the over-rev occurred at, not the hours since the over-rev. Which is why everyone wants to know the current hours...

But given the frequency the car hit range 1, I bet it's pretty close to the 1266 hours of the last range 1.
I agree. I figure that is the current and that the last level one was hit during the ppi test drive. They said everything with the car checked out perfect.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbri916
I contacted the dealership again, and they said the VAL Showed no trouble codes, they go over them if they do in the PPI but they didn't see the total hours. They said they cant go back and look it over because the car isnt there? Is that some bs?

It is rare to have a car that doesn't have at least one or two minor codes - they are not trouble codes per se, they are just issues that the DME is reporting. These cars are so high tech that they often glitch internally but it's nothing to worry about.

The VAL is saved on the PIWIS tester even after the car leaves, unless they are super busy and delete them.

Still, the PIWIS tester is a laptop with a hard drive, and it is capable of storing thousands if not millions of VALs.

People need to change their lingo when doing a PPI. Don't ask for an "overrev report" - ask for a copy of a Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL) which is much more complete.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM
bigbri916
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catorce
It is rare to have a car that doesn't have at least one or two minor codes - they are not trouble codes per se, they are just issues that the DME is reporting. These cars are so high tech that they often glitch internally but it's nothing to worry about.

The VAL is saved on the PIWIS tester even after the car leaves, unless they are super busy and delete them.

Still, the PIWIS tester is a laptop with a hard drive, and it is capable of storing thousands if not millions of VALs.

People need to change their lingo when doing a PPI. Don't ask for an "overrev report" - ask for a copy of a Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL) which is much more complete.
I agree. I gotta say the Porsche dealership service seemed sub par. Kinda disappointing first experience coming to the brand for the first time. Maybe I expected too much? I guess with any car brand there are good dealerships and bad. I bought the car and will receive it next week and take it to a shop close by for a more in depth look. But all the main things I was worried about they checked and it passed.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, don't worry you'll be fine. Dme reports are way over emphasized. Glad none of my 930s counted over revs!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP ME WITH THIS DME REPORT PLEASE ASAP 997 turbo