Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Loss of Power: Gas Leak Sound on Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Main clamp failed (cracked) in combo with intake pipe drying out / warp.

All good.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Glad to hear it. By Main Clamp you mean the pipe connection to the throttle body or to the Y pipe or something else?

Ed
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Britzky9
Racer

Originally Posted by lliejk
Glad to hear it. By Main Clamp you mean the pipe connection to the throttle body or to the Y pipe or something else?

Ed
Throttle body, I think. Took notes...Y-pipe to throttle body main clamp failed that secures the boot (?). Replace intake pipe and clamp. I could have written it wrong since all I wanted to know was the price.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:15 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Boost leak, they're not uncommon. First thing to check is the hose that connects the y-pipe to the throttle body. Ensure that the hose seated properly on both ends, and that the gear clamps haven't slipped off.

Next, check the hoses & gear clamps on the other ends of the y-pipe, left and right side of the engine bay. They route down underneath the car but you can see the y-pipe connections from under the engine lid. Ensure they're seated properly, gear clamps right, etc...

Lastly, by putting the rear of the car on jack stands, you can lay on your back and see the hoses that connect to the intercoolers. Check them for same issues.

I think that's about the limit of what you can easily check without a hoist or more technical capabilities. Hopefully it's one of the hoses in the engine bay and a quick fix. My throttle body hose came off many times, no matter how many times I replaced the gear clamp. Replaced the hose and issue is fixed, oil residue had expanded the original hose and it would no longer seat correctly.

Good luck
perfect diagnosis, thx
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Britzky9
Racer

What a difference. Don't think the car was ever "right" in the first place...it is now.

Quick Reply: Sudden Loss of Power: Gas Leak Sound on Boost?