Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo S

Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Turbo S

I'm looking at buying a 2011 Turbo S coupe. It has 65,000 miles and the asking price is $79,000. Just wondering if the forum might have any advice pros or cons. I currently have an 08 Turbo coupe with a 6 speed MT, love the car, it also has a few miles on it (53,000) no issues but thinking it might be prone to some coolant leaks before to long.

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-22-2017, 11:53 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 997.2 turbo S is a great car. However, you will lose a fair amount of driver involvement going from yours to the TTS. Having had 2 and loving them both, I have gained new appreciation for 3 pedals again. Plus mine has the coolant line fix from Sharkwerks and if I tracked the car I would be more concerned about not having it, but, since I don't it makes no difference to me. Both great cars and your car with some mods can be a lot of fun.

Launch Control on the TTS at the drag strip was better than any ride at 6 flags I can remember. Best of Luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:18 AM
john 997tt
Rennlist Member

Do you prefer an auto or a manual? Do you care about the updated console and nav/bluetooth? The maintenance aspect is irrelevant in my opinion as both cars will need it as they all do. You can't say one will be cheaper to maintain long term. Personally, I think you should keep yours, get a few upgrades for it and enjoy the 3 pedal car.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 AM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies,

I have a couple of other cars with 3 pedals and thought the PDK might be interesting, plus the added power increase with the S might be fun as well.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

If you're keeping the manual; and just adding a car; I've never driven an S or a pdk, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Check out some of LongBoarders videos - that will easily tip the scales to the S (i think he has both too).

Enviable predicament.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you have other cars with 3 pedals, by all means, get the TTS. The PDK is absolutely fantastic. You can still shift it manually, and shifts are way faster than anyone can pull off with a manual. The TTS will be a great change of pace and when you want to drive a manual, jump in one of your other cars. If you are ok with the 65k miles, go for it. If you want a car with less mileage, you'll spend an extra $10-12k to cut that 65k in mileage in half.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've owned both. Upgrade the PCM, add a mod or two and keep your current ride. The TTS is nice but you do lose driver involvement and it's just not worth the upgrade. I had more "fun" with my 09 TT 6MT cab then I will ever have with my TTS.

BTW, too many miles on the TTS. It's probably not a good deal (JMO).
Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Had both, Id keep the 7.1. You'll tire of the pdk in about a month as the novelty wears off.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had both and I prefer the 997.2.

The previous two responses above clearly shows it's totally a personal preference thing.

My personal preference was to have something FAST with the least amount of mods (less headaches). My 997.2 was faster while stock than my old tuned + catless exhaust 997.1.
...Now a tuned/exhaust 997.2 will be assassinating supercars reliably.

But if that's not what you care about and prefer the 3 pedals over added quickness, then keep the 997.1. Can't go wrong with either..

You also save money keeping the 997.1 even if you pinned the coolant lines.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Only you can decide. I'm sick of shifting in our bumper to bumper traffic all day so after 20 years in 911's with 6 speeds I got a TTS and will never look back. I looked at a 53k mile car for $79900 2 years ago so $79k now seems high. With that many miles, $75k - $76 is the right # on that car but if you really want it, just get it.

In the end, who cares about a few thousand bucks one way or the other, a difference in price, for the car you really love. But don't listen to us, listen to your heart. Are you listening? Be sure to listen to the voice inside your heart and go with it, kind of like the guy in this ad . Different 911 but you get the idea.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:54 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Out of curiosity, are you considering any other cars? I just got my Turbo a few months ago, so I'm nowhere near considering an upgrade, but I think if I were I'd want something a bit more different than upgrading to an S. Some possibilities that come to mind would be GT3 or GT4, Audi R8, or even some Ferrari 430s would be in a similar price range...
Old 08-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Hvdv85
Intermediate

Shift gears manually from day one and use auto in bumper to bumper traffic only. PDK becomes pretty boring otherwise.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all the replies,

I don't think I would go for another make of car, I'll stick with Porsche, I like the Turbo S because I think it's good value for the money and you don't have to run them that hard to go fast. With all the power they develop they can be a monster in their own right.

I've ridden in a GT3 RS and quite impressive but more of a track car, I'm looking for something a little more streetable which might see the track 2-3 times a year.

I also have a modified 930, if I want to shift gears I can always jump in it
Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

I've come to an agreement on this Turbo S, the problem is how do you verify that it actually is an S besides seeing badges on the car. Does a part of the VIN actually indicate that it is a Turbo S. I haven't seen the car yet as it is 3000 miles away and plan to fly out to view the car. I'm also going to have a PPI done at the local Porsche dealership in the next few days.

The car has centre locks as well as an Aerokit, not sure if these options were available on a regular Turbo or not, tachometer also has the Turbo S on it. Maybe I'm being a little cautious but I don't think it would take to much to make a Turbo look like a Turbo S

Last edited by Jedi; 08-29-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Verification
Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi
I've come to an agreement on this Turbo S, the problem is how do you verify that it actually is an S besides seeing badges on the car. Does a part of the VIN actually indicate that it is a Turbo S. I haven't seen the car yet as it is 3000 miles away and plan to fly out to view the car. I'm also going to have a PPI done at the local Porsche dealership in the next few days.

The car has centre locks as well as an Aerokit, not sure if these options were available on a regular Turbo or not. Maybe I'm being a little cautious but I don't think it would take to much to make a Turbo look like a Turbo S
If you're buying it from even a semi reputable place, and they're advertising it as a Turbo S, it's definitely, a Turbo S. It would be quite rare to find a non Turbo S in this PDK car of this year's vintage anyway. Not all Turbo S's had centerlocks and very few had the aerokit. if you call any Porsche dealer with that VIN # I'm sure they would verify in 2 seconds it's a Turbo S. 530 HP, so sweet.

2011 911 Turbo S Coupe (997)

engine
TYPEFlat 6
INDUCTIONTwin-turbocharged
COOLINGWater-cooled
VALVETRAINDouble overhead camshafts
INJECTIONDirect Fuel Injection
BORE X STROKE4.02 in/102 mm x 3.05 in/77.5 mm
DISPLACEMENT231.80 cu-in/3,800 cc
HORSEPOWER530 @ 6250-6750 rpm
TORQUE516 lb-ft @ 2100-4250 rpm
MAX RPM7000
COMPRESSION RATIO9.8:1
transmission
OPTIONS7-speed PDK
chassis
TYPERear-engined, all-wheel drive
CURB WEIGHT3,494 lbs.
HEIGHT51.18 in/1,300 mm
GROUND CLEARANCEN/A
LENGTH176.26 in/4,477 mm
WHEELBASE92.52 in/2,350 mm
WIDTH72.91 in/1,852 mm
TRACK FRONT58.66 in/1,490 mm
TRACK REAR60.94 in/1,548 mm
DRAG COEFFICIENT0.31
WHEEL SIZE FRONT19 x 8.5
WHEEL SIZE REAR19 x 11
TIRE SIZE FRONT235/35ZR-19
TIRE SIZE REAR305/30ZR-19
brakes
CALIPER FRONTFixed 6-piston
CALIPER REARFixed 4-piston
DISC TYPE FRONTPorsche Ceramic Composite Brake discs (PCCB)
DISC TYPE REARPorsche Ceramic Composite Brake discs (PCCB)
DISC SIZE FRONT14.96 in/380 mm x 1.34 in/34 mm
DISC SIZE REAR13.78 in/350 mm x 1.10 in/28 mm
performance
0 TO 60 MPH3.1 seconds
TOP SPEED195 mph
fuel
MPG CITY17
MPG HIGHWAY25
MPG COMBINED19
FUEL TANK CAPACITY17.7 U.S. gallons
REQUIRED OCTANEPremium unleaded (91+)

Here's a great review of the non S but you get the idea of how wondrous this all is:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...o-drive-review

A fascinating thing about the Porsche Turbo is how the majority of other drivers on the road view it so mundanely. Yeah, there is a small group of people that see the car at a traffic signal and nod their respect. But by and large, most people glance over, think to themselves “Porsh”—if anything at all—and go right back to daydreaming about what they’ll scarf down for dinner that night.

Meanwhile, sitting right at arm’s length is one of the most potent road cars the world has ever known. Packing a 500 horsepower 3.8-liter twin turbo flat six making 480 ft-lbs of torque in its tail, the performance capability of the Porsche Turbo is fully the equivalent of anything the more flamboyant Ferraris or Lamborghinis can muster. Weighing just over 3,500 pounds, the fastest accelerating all-wheel drive Porsche in history—and one of the most highly ranked in that regard among cars in general—the 911 Turbo boasts a 3.2 second 0-60 time and a 194 mph top.

Taking advantage of the launch control system Porsche’s engineers so thoughtfully built into the pressurized 911 is laughably easy. With your left foot on the brake and right foot flooring the throttle, the engine revs to 5000 rpm and holds until you release the brake. The Turbo’s four wheels then scrabble for a moment, seeking grip. When they bite, the diminutive coupe blasts forward like a jet fighter on full afterburner. The seven-speed dual clutch transmission bangs off shifts in less than .5 of a second, with absolutely no interruption of forward motion. Accelerating relentlessly, the Porsche just keeps going faster and faster and faster as long as there is road in front of it. But rather than feeling cumulative, the way the car gathers speed feels more like by leaps and bounds.

When it comes to cornering, the Turbo dives right in, flattens the apex and catapults toward the next corner. Its cornering attitude is amazingly neutral for a car whose engine literally hangs out behind its rear wheels. In fact, you’re hard pressed to tell where the engine is in the car unless you severely overcook it. If you do, the rear end comes out gently. When you’re pointed where you want to go next, simply dial in a bit of opposite lock and the car rockets forward again on its new trajectory.

Because it’s all-wheel drive, the Turbo’s steering feel isn’t as lively as, say, the 911 GT3’s. However it is still highly communicative. You always know what the front wheels are doing and where they’re pointed. The brakes are so easily modulated the pedal responds like a dial. Gradually feed in the desired amount of retardation, the system responds with exact precision. The transmission is so always in the right gear you’re faster leaving it in its automatic mode than you’d ever be shifting it yourself. Punch the sport button, throttle response is even sharper (!) and the transmission holds itself in gears longer. Go for the sport plus button, the car goes into full race mode and winds the engine all the way to redline—screaming its lungs out—as you shred from corner to corner. The sound is so intoxicating you’ll find your heart racing faster than the engine. And the engine is good for 7000 rpm.

As terrific as all of that is, sitting behind the wheel, the accommodations are more luxurious grand tourer than raw sports car. Leather everywhere, the Turbo’s interior is straight luxe. The seats are supremely comfortable, the instrumentation is legendary in its legibility and all contemporary comfort and conveniences are in full effect. Ingress and egress are so easy; it makes the car feel almost ordinary. The seating position and steering wheel adjust, so finding the right position is child’s play. The Porsche 911 Turbo is a car that appeals to your sensibilities just as much as it does your senses.

And this is why the folks at the light don’t get all excited at the sight. So accessible has Porsche has made the 911, people don’t really consider it exotic. While they know its fast and they know it isn’t cheap, they see 911s everyday. The Porsche car has become part of the landscape.

Porsche 911 Turbo coupe pricing starts at $132,800, the Cabrio starts at $143,800.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo S