Sponsored by:

.1 Tiptronic to Manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM
BrianSpilner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Macster, thank you so much for these links. I have emailed Emre as well.

As far as why I'm not just selling the Tip and buying a Manual, that's because they don't exist where I live. I don't live in the US where the market is huge and you can have your pickings of whatever car you want.
Did ESMOTOR ever get back to you on the cost of the tiptronic to manual swap?
Old 05-06-2020, 11:08 PM
turb0
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 tip to manual conversion

997: Tip*tronic to man*ual

Want to con*vert your Tip*tronic 997 into a glo*ri*ous, three-ped*alled man*ual? To*tal 911 reader Oliver Plog*mann shows you how…

Total 911

Writ*ten by Joe Wil*liams Pho*tog*ra*phy cour*tesy Irvin Teo
28 Dec 2018A To*tal 911 reader has suc*cess*fully con*verted his 997.1 Car*rera to three ped*als. Here his se*crets are re*vealed

“I’ve been a Porsche fan for al*most 30 years,” says Oliver Plog*mann, To*tal 911 reader and past owner of sev*eral Ne*unelfers. “I had air*cooled cars from a 1970 2.2T all the way to a 1997 993 Car*rera, and more re*cently a wa*ter*cooled 997.” Orig*i*nally from Ger*many, Porsche’s home ter*ri*tory is where Plog*mann owned most of his cars be*fore re*lo*cat*ing to Sin*ga*pore a few years back.
For a car en*thu*si*ast, Sin*ga*pore throws up one or two prob*lems: “The down*side here is the speed limit, and the fact that the car mar*ket is tiny com*pared to Europe or North Amer*ica. The lo*cal reg*u*la*tions also pro*hibit the im*port of used cars over three years of age, apart from the clas*sic car scheme for cars over an age of 35 years with lim*ited use of only 45 days a cal*en*dar year,” he says.

Most cars are ex*ported or scrapped after ten years of use due to the reg*u*la*tions of the ‘Cer*tifi*cate of En*ti*tle*ment’, which is a ten-year li*cense tagged to the car for per*mit*ted use. Plog*mann reck*ons this helps the gov*ern*ment con*trol the amount of cars on the roads and en*sures that most of the cars, be*ing new, have low-emis*sion stan*dards. “It’s a great place to live, but not re*ally the best place for a car nut,” he says.

Mr Plog*mann’s lo*ca*tion and the au*to*mo*tive re*straints which come with it are pre*cisely what lead to his un*der*tak*ing of a dras*tic pro*ject on his

997.1 Car*rera 4S. He takes up the story: “As Wal*ter Röhrl said in his To*tal 911 in*ter*view ear*lier this year, ‘All my cars have man*ual gear*boxes.’ I’m the same. I like my Porsche cars with man*ual trans*mis*sion. Cer*tainly, the newer PDKS are fan*tas*tic, tech*ni*cally ad*vanced and faster than a stick shift, but man*ual shift*ing and three ped*als is more en*gag*ing for me on B-roads and on track. I feel more con*nected to the car, even if it is a few sec*onds slower on the lap time. I also think the early au*to*matic trans*mis*sions with only four (964 and 993) or five gears (996 and 997) with long gear ra*tios and shift*ing times do not do the car jus*tice un*less you drive it in heavy city traf*fic ev*ery day. For most own*ers this is ac*tu*ally the case here in Sin*ga*pore and the rea*son why many made a com*pro*mise to choose the au*to*matic gear*box over the man*ual op*tion.”

There are sim*ply very few man*ual cars around, with the ex*cep*tion of a few GT cars which com*mand a sig*nif*i*cant premium over other Porsche mod*els, which them*selves come with price tags two- to three-times higher than Europe, this the re*sult of state taxes, ad*di*tional reg*is*tra*tion fees and the COE. Plog*mann reck*ons this, plus the fact the 997.1 is now over ten years old, means there are only a handful of man*ual 997.1 Car*rera it*er*a*tions left in the city state. “When I say a handful, I lit*er*ally mean five cars,” he says. “Im*port*ing used cars of that age is sim*ply pro*hib*ited, so your only op*tions are pay*ing a sig*nif*i*cant premium to get one of the few man*ual cars – if one is for sale at all – live with the au*to*matic trans*mis*sion, or try out a con*ver*sion.”

For our charis*matic Ger*man, that last op*tion was the op*tion of choice. “After a long search for a suit*able 997 and on a bud*get, I ended up with a lowmileage, un*mo*lested 2006 997.1 C4S Tip*tronic with a re*newed COE, so I took the plunge to try to con*vert my ‘Tip’ to a man*ual,” he says.

We are grate*ful that our loyal To*tal 911 reader is happy to share his ex*pe*ri*ences with this com*pli*cated pro*ce*dure, and so we let him take up the story from here: “The swap can prob*a*bly be done in a few days, pro*vided you have ev*ery*thing to*gether and know what you are do*ing. All parts are pretty much ‘plug and play’ thanks to the smart pro*duc*tion plan*ning by Porsche. There are no in*va*sive pro*ce*dures or al*ter*ations to the chas*sis or mount*ing points nec*es*sary. So, if you re*ally want to do it, you can al*ways con*vert it back for orig*i*nal*ity. The big*gest ef*fort went into re*search, study of wire di*a*grams, talk*ing to ex*perts and sourc*ing and im*port*ing all the nec*es*sary parts. And all this just to find out I was still miss*ing a wire or a screw when I had put the car up on the ramp!

“I started the search for parts at the end of last year and got the trans*mis*sion and pedal box for a right-hand-drive car, plus some other small and harder-to-find things from a used Porsche parts dealer in Bel*gium. I man*aged to look at ev*ery*thing on one of my trips to Europe. Filip from FG Porsche can al*ways help out and he is a great re*source. I de*cided to or*der most of the other things new to en*sure qual*ity. To know what parts you need it is best to down*load the Porsche PET parts cat*a*logue from the of*fi*cial web*site and search for the op*tion codes I249tip*tronic and I480-6-spd-trans*mis*sion to see the dif*fer*ences; also look out for I099-right-hand-drive and I098-left-hand-drive depend*ing on what side you have your steer*ing wheel.
“Depend*ing on where you get your parts from and how much you buy used over new, the cost is ac*tu*ally not that high. Due to the high pro*duc*tion num*bers of the 997 there are plenty of used parts around as well. The big-ticket items are the trans*mis*sion it*self, the drive*shafts, a new fly*wheel

and clutch and the in*stru*ment clus*ter, if you re*place it like I did. Over*all for me the costs were some*where around €8,000 for all the hard*ware, which I think is rea*son*able for our mar*ket given that a used car is some*where north of €100,000 – this is the start*ing price for the cheapest cars older than ten years!

“The things I wasn’t sure about were the elec*tron*ics and wiring. From the di*a*grams I could see there isn’t that much dif*fer*ence be*tween both cars, apart from the fact that the Tip cars have this ex*tra har*ness for the Tip*tronic Con*trol Unit (TCU) and the au*to*matic trans*mis*sion it*self. But I was not sure if there was more to it be*fore I got started. It turned out that the wiring was ac*tu*ally not a big prob*lem at all. Once you re*move the TCU and the fuses you can even leave the ad*di*tional har*ness in the car if you would want to have the op*tion to re*vert it back one day. You can also re*move it, which in*volves a bit more in*te*rior re*moval and ef*fort, but saves some weight.

“The main dif*fer*ences are the wires for the clutch pedal switch, the wires for the re*v*erse switch – which are taken from the shifter on the Tip, while they are taken from the trans*mis*sion on the man*ual cars – and the main power cable for the starter. This is all fairly easy to change, how*ever. The other hur*dle was the re*pro*gram*ming of the elec*tron*ics, in*clud*ing the ECU, which is nec*es*sary to make the car work at all. You will need an ex*pert here who has ac*cess to the nec*es*sary com*puter equip*ment and soft*ware, as well as the codes for your car.

“Many of the main elec*tron*ics com*po*nents and con*trol units are set with so-called IPAS codes, for ex*am*ple the im*mo*biliser, keys and ECU. It is a smart se*cu*rity fea*ture so that some*one with bad in*ten*tions could not just bring a re*place*ment con*trol unit and some keys, swap them out and drive off with your car. The ECUS for man*ual and Tip*tronic cars are ac*tu*ally the same part num*ber, just loaded with a dif*fer*ent soft*ware. Re*plac*ing the ECU with one from a man*ual car is not an op*tion, how*ever, as the car would recog*nise the ex*changed part and won’t start. Here you will need help from your Porsche dealer to do the pro*gram*ming for you.

“Thanks to my fan*tas*tic me*chanic Ah Fai I man*aged to get ev*ery*thing done. After sev*eral tech*ni*cal checks and de*tailed in*spec*tions the car was fi*nally ap*proved by the lo*cal au*thor*i*ties, and the doc*u*men*ta*tion changed ac*cord*ingly. So the car is now of*fi*cially a 997.1 C4S man*ual Coupe, as per the log card. It’s the first of*fi*cial one, at least in this coun*try.” Never mind in Sin*ga*pore, Plog*mann’s work – bor*der*ing on the out*ra*geous – means it’s the first such con*ver*sion on a 997.1 we’ve heard of, due to the costs of the con*ver*sion against the rel*a*tively cheap cost of the cars in gen*eral. How*ever, as our charis*matic Ger*man said, the fi*nan*cial en*vi*ron*ment in Sin*ga*pore means such a con*ver*sion is fis*cally pos*si*ble.

In fact, Plog*mann’s hard work has gained the plau*dits of spe*cial*ist tech*ni*cians in the in*dus*try too, in*clud*ing To*tal 911’s own res*i*dent ‘Ask the Ex*pert’ and Gold-cer*ti*fied Porsche tech*ni*cian, Scott Gard*ner. “It’s not some*thing I’ve ever heard of be*fore and

I’ve never seen a car with such a con*ver*sion done,” Scott says, look*ing at the pic*tures of the con*ver*sion. “How*ever, I can un*der*stand why he’s cho*sen to mod*ify his car in this way; a 997, for me, has to be a man*ual. Other than the high cost of do*ing such a con*ver*sion and be*ing very labour in*ten*sive, in my mind it would be fairly straight for*ward – for ex*am*ple, re*gard*ing the En*gine’s ECU, a re*pro*gram would be all that is re*quired, as well as mod*i*fy*ing the cod*ing in some of the other mod*ules.

“I can imag*ine in*stalling the clutch pedal as well as the clutch line to the slave cylin*der would be a bit fid*dly. It’s cer*tainly not a rec*om*men*da*tion I would be mak*ing to go and con*vert your Tip*tronic to a man*ual, but it just goes to show there are var*i*ous op*tions out there. Huge credit to Mr Plog*mann for see*ing it through.”

Mr Plog*mann him*self is clearly just happy to own the car he’s de*sired all along. “I am thank*ful to ev*ery*one who helped on the way. I didn’t know what I was get*ting into and I think many peo*ple thought I was crazy, but it was worth it. I can now fully en*joy my 997 man*ual dur*ing spir*ited drives up north to Malaysia, with fan*tas*tic B-roads through palm oil plan*ta*tions or rain forests or, once in a while, on the Sepang track. Next to my

1994 993 Car*rera, which is man*ual of course, this is the ideal mod*ern car for me,” he says. Happy ped*dling, sir.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

In case anyone wants to read the previous without your brain leaking out of your ears, here it is with all the *s search/removed. I'd love to have someone do this and post a detailed DIY. If it could be done for close to the cost difference between tip and 6spd maybe we could get more manuals in the world!

997: Tiptronic to manual
Want to convert your Tiptronic 997 into a glorious, three-pedalled manual? Total 911 reader Oliver Plogmann shows you how…
Total 911

Written by Joe Williams Photography courtesy Irvin Teo
28 Dec 2018A Total 911 reader has successfully converted his 997.1 Carrera to three pedals. Here his secrets are revealed

“I’ve been a Porsche fan for almost 30 years,” says Oliver Plogmann, Total 911 reader and past owner of several Neunelfers. “I had aircooled cars from a 1970 2.2T all the way to a 1997 993 Carrera, and more recently a watercooled 997.” Originally from Germany, Porsche’s home territory is where Plogmann owned most of his cars before relocating to Singapore a few years back.
For a car enthusiast, Singapore throws up one or two problems: “The downside here is the speed limit, and the fact that the car market is tiny compared to Europe or North America. The local regulations also prohibit the import of used cars over three years of age, apart from the classic car scheme for cars over an age of 35 years with limited use of only 45 days a calendar year,” he says.

Most cars are exported or scrapped after ten years of use due to the regulations of the ‘Certificate of Entitlement’, which is a ten-year license tagged to the car for permitted use. Plogmann reckons this helps the government control the amount of cars on the roads and ensures that most of the cars, being new, have low-emission standards. “It’s a great place to live, but not really the best place for a car nut,” he says.

Mr Plogmann’s location and the automotive restraints which come with it are precisely what lead to his undertaking of a drastic project on his

997.1 Carrera 4S. He takes up the story: “As Walter Röhrl said in his Total 911 interview earlier this year, ‘All my cars have manual gearboxes.’ I’m the same. I like my Porsche cars with manual transmission. Certainly, the newer PDKS are fantastic, technically advanced and faster than a stick shift, but manual shifting and three pedals is more engaging for me on B-roads and on track. I feel more connected to the car, even if it is a few seconds slower on the lap time. I also think the early automatic transmissions with only four (964 and 993) or five gears (996 and 997) with long gear ratios and shifting times do not do the car justice unless you drive it in heavy city traffic every day. For most owners this is actually the case here in Singapore and the reason why many made a compromise to choose the automatic gearbox over the manual option.”

There are simply very few manual cars around, with the exception of a few GT cars which command a significant premium over other Porsche models, which themselves come with price tags two- to three-times higher than Europe, this the result of state taxes, additional registration fees and the COE. Plogmann reckons this, plus the fact the 997.1 is now over ten years old, means there are only a handful of manual 997.1 Carrera iterations left in the city state. “When I say a handful, I literally mean five cars,” he says. “Importing used cars of that age is simply prohibited, so your only options are paying a significant premium to get one of the few manual cars – if one is for sale at all – live with the automatic transmission, or try out a conversion.”

For our charismatic German, that last option was the option of choice. “After a long search for a suitable 997 and on a budget, I ended up with a lowmileage, unmolested 2006 997.1 C4S Tiptronic with a renewed COE, so I took the plunge to try to convert my ‘Tip’ to a manual,” he says.

We are grateful that our loyal Total 911 reader is happy to share his experiences with this complicated procedure, and so we let him take up the story from here: “The swap can probably be done in a few days, provided you have everything together and know what you are doing. All parts are pretty much ‘plug and play’ thanks to the smart production planning by Porsche. There are no invasive procedures or alterations to the chassis or mounting points necessary. So, if you really want to do it, you can always convert it back for originality. The biggest effort went into research, study of wire diagrams, talking to experts and sourcing and importing all the necessary parts. And all this just to find out I was still missing a wire or a screw when I had put the car up on the ramp!

“I started the search for parts at the end of last year and got the transmission and pedal box for a right-hand-drive car, plus some other small and harder-to-find things from a used Porsche parts dealer in Belgium. I managed to look at everything on one of my trips to Europe. Filip from FG Porsche can always help out and he is a great resource. I decided to order most of the other things new to ensure quality. To know what parts you need it is best to download the Porsche PET parts catalogue from the official website and search for the option codes I249tiptronic and I480-6-spd-transmission to see the differences; also look out for I099-right-hand-drive and I098-left-hand-drive depending on what side you have your steering wheel.
“Depending on where you get your parts from and how much you buy used over new, the cost is actually not that high. Due to the high production numbers of the 997 there are plenty of used parts around as well. The big-ticket items are the transmission itself, the driveshafts, a new flywheel

and clutch and the instrument cluster, if you replace it like I did. Overall for me the costs were somewhere around €8,000 for all the hardware, which I think is reasonable for our market given that a used car is somewhere north of €100,000 – this is the starting price for the cheapest cars older than ten years!

“The things I wasn’t sure about were the electronics and wiring. From the diagrams I could see there isn’t that much difference between both cars, apart from the fact that the Tip cars have this extra harness for the Tiptronic Control Unit (TCU) and the automatic transmission itself. But I was not sure if there was more to it before I got started. It turned out that the wiring was actually not a big problem at all. Once you remove the TCU and the fuses you can even leave the additional harness in the car if you would want to have the option to revert it back one day. You can also remove it, which involves a bit more interior removal and effort, but saves some weight.

“The main differences are the wires for the clutch pedal switch, the wires for the reverse switch – which are taken from the shifter on the Tip, while they are taken from the transmission on the manual cars – and the main power cable for the starter. This is all fairly easy to change, however. The other hurdle was the reprogramming of the electronics, including the ECU, which is necessary to make the car work at all. You will need an expert here who has access to the necessary computer equipment and software, as well as the codes for your car.

“Many of the main electronics components and control units are set with so-called IPAS codes, for example the immobiliser, keys and ECU. It is a smart security feature so that someone with bad intentions could not just bring a replacement control unit and some keys, swap them out and drive off with your car. The ECUS for manual and Tiptronic cars are actually the same part number, just loaded with a different software. Replacing the ECU with one from a manual car is not an option, however, as the car would recognise the exchanged part and won’t start. Here you will need help from your Porsche dealer to do the programming for you.

“Thanks to my fantastic mechanic Ah Fai I managed to get everything done. After several technical checks and detailed inspections the car was finally approved by the local authorities, and the documentation changed accordingly. So the car is now officially a 997.1 C4S manual Coupe, as per the log card. It’s the first official one, at least in this country.” Never mind in Singapore, Plogmann’s work – bordering on the outrageous – means it’s the first such conversion on a 997.1 we’ve heard of, due to the costs of the conversion against the relatively cheap cost of the cars in general. However, as our charismatic German said, the financial environment in Singapore means such a conversion is fiscally possible.

In fact, Plogmann’s hard work has gained the plaudits of specialist technicians in the industry too, including Total 911’s own resident ‘Ask the Expert’ and Gold-certified Porsche technician, Scott Gardner. “It’s not something I’ve ever heard of before and

I’ve never seen a car with such a conversion done,” Scott says, looking at the pictures of the conversion. “However, I can understand why he’s chosen to modify his car in this way; a 997, for me, has to be a manual. Other than the high cost of doing such a conversion and being very labour intensive, in my mind it would be fairly straight forward – for example, regarding the Engine’s ECU, a reprogram would be all that is required, as well as modifying the coding in some of the other modules.

“I can imagine installing the clutch pedal as well as the clutch line to the slave cylinder would be a bit fiddly. It’s certainly not a recommendation I would be making to go and convert your Tiptronic to a manual, but it just goes to show there are various options out there. Huge credit to Mr Plogmann for seeing it through.”

Mr Plogmann himself is clearly just happy to own the car he’s desired all along. “I am thankful to everyone who helped on the way. I didn’t know what I was getting into and I think many people thought I was crazy, but it was worth it. I can now fully enjoy my 997 manual during spirited drives up north to Malaysia, with fantastic B-roads through palm oil plantations or rain forests or, once in a while, on the Sepang track. Next to my

1994 993 Carrera, which is manual of course, this is the ideal modern car for me,” he says. Happy peddling, sir.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nate Tempest:
Aaron12 (12-17-2022), Carlton Bale (06-22-2022), Larson E. Rapp (08-08-2023)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I can not imagine that it would be even remotely time or cost effective to convert a 997.1 Turbo Tip to manual....

If you want to convert,

1. Drive your tiptronic to Carmax. Take whatever they will give you for it.
2. Add $10-$12K to your warchest.
3. Go buy a 997.1 Turbo six speed.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:01 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
My guess is that a conversion would be many times more expensive (not to mention time consuming) then simply selling your tip and buying a manual... Particularly if you don't plan on doing all the mechanical work yourself and have access to (and know how to use) a PIWIS system.
I think the price difference (which will probably only increase) between the manuals and tiptronics/PDKs is beginning to make a swap cost effective. This is already the case with manual F430s and possibly 360s as well.

I'm also of the opinion that the driving experience of tiptronic/PDK 911 Turbos will be bested by electric cars and that a manual transmission is what will make them a novelty in the future.

Last edited by blackonblack; 12-24-2021 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackonblack:
PatrickBateman (05-23-2022), Robocop305 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 01:24 AM
PatrickBateman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts

Any others do this conversion?
Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

What about a sequential?

The BOMB!
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM
dak996
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I did it Swapped the tiptronic to Manual

I can't find if anyone has ever successfully converted from auto to manual for the 997.1 Turbo. Has this ever been done?

Does anyone have any resources to find out? I've searched.

Please don't tell me to buy a manual. I want to do a Tip to Manual conversion and that's that.

Thanks!
I made it and its work Perfect 😍 perfect 👍🏼
The following users liked this post:
harlanmott3 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 10:52 AM
dak996
Intermediate

Default It’s Happened

Happy with the swap
The following 2 users liked this post by dak996:
mgmarsh39 (12-17-2022), turb0 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:16 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dak996
I made it and its work Perfect 😍 perfect 👍🏼

​​​​​​Do you have photos of the process?
Old 12-16-2022, 11:08 PM
dak996
Intermediate

Default 997 turbo swap from tiptronic to Manual

I can't find if anyone has ever successfully converted from auto to manual for the 997.1 Turbo. Has this ever been done?

Does anyone have any resources to find out? I've searched.

Please don't tell me to buy a manual. I want to do a Tip to Manual conversion and that's that.

Thanks!
yes I did and it was great
Old 12-17-2022, 01:50 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Me next!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin8tor (08-08-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:32 AM
dak996
Intermediate

Default In these days

Originally Posted by pfbz
I can not imagine that it would be even remotely time or cost effective to convert a 997.1 Turbo Tip to manual....

If you want to convert,

1. Drive your tiptronic to Carmax. Take whatever they will give you for it.
2. Add $10-$12K to your warchest.
3. Go buy a 997.1 Turbo six speed.
in these days swap to Manual cheaper than buy original manual 997 turbo
Old 12-19-2022, 02:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by dak996
in these days swap to Manual cheaper than buy original manual 997 turbo
Perhaps, though I think still unlikely.

But that's also what you get when quoting a two-and-a-half year old post referencing pricing.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:21 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

In Au - its roughly a $75-100K delta between the 2.

The last time a manual came up for sale - it was gone in less than 12 hours, tapers seem to hang around.

Ive done the math on trading my mint 6 speed for a grey import tip + Tune + Wheels + Sequential + Liberty Walk kit and new Mint green paint..... and it doesn't add up.....

Quick Reply: .1 Tiptronic to Manual conversion