Sponsored by:

Possible spun camshaft sleeve, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM
epacman17
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
If your cam has indeed spun, make sure you replace the VVT actuator as well. It appears that the oil starvation can damage this unit in the process. My motor had to come out 3 times before the mechanic finally replaced the VVT actuator (which is what Porsche recommended) and fixed the issue after pinning the cams. It is another ~$800 USD, but that's not much compared to the cost of the repair, and better to be in and out once rather than repeatedly.
OK, seems kind of odd, but I'll keep that in mind. I have already practiced replacing them with engine in car.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM
epacman17
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just realized I forgot to update on this issue, and maybe I should becuase it's kind of interesting. Some time in september I was out driving, and noticed at a red light that the engine was idling a bit smoother than it had since I got the camshaft issue. Glanced at the Cobb Accessport showing the camshaft angles, and it turned out the VVTs had started working again, just like that. Now, a few 1000 Ks later they are still working fine, with no inconsistencies between the banks and no fault codes. I'm clueless.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

uhg i remember those days... GL with the cam.

Quick Reply: Possible spun camshaft sleeve, advice needed