Sponsored by:

Aftermarket front spoiler lip

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Aftermarket front spoiler lip

Has anyone bought the aftermarket front spoiler lip from eBay (around $100)? If so, can you comment good or bad? It seems there are 3 designs. OEM looking (flat across the front), one with a "scoop" type of lip with holes and one with a "scoop" type of lip without holes. If you could post a pic, that would help me to decide as well. TIA.

Last edited by ble2011; 08-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
woody6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with a painted front spoiler, and is lowered on coilovers. That's not a good combination, and the front spoiler on my car had been repainted when I got the car, no doubt due to accumulated road rash.

I ordered one of the original style ebay spoilers under a $100, and was well pleased with it (enough that I ordered two spares). It was fairly easy to install. It could be painted, but in my case I left it black to help hide the wear and tear it gets on a lowered car.

I had another sports car with the low plastic spoiler, and the advice among owners there was to consider them consumables. I guess with the lowered 997, I'm taking their advice.

--Woody

Last edited by woody6; 08-14-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2017, 05:57 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one from Amazon. The Aero style PU front lip. Think it was $114 delivered and I had it painted but have not yet put the entire bumper cover and new lip on my car yet so no history on how it will hold up. I prefer the look of the Aero with holes for brake ducts. The price seemed to good to pass up. It's slightly different from OEM but for the huge difference on price I went for it.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 AM
mavila
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBay lip

I just went this route and installed mine. For $109, it's hard to bash it. However, I thought I would share a few observations. First, the finish on mine is not uniform - it is slightly rough/matte in some spots and shiny in others. Not too noticeable, especially at night or in dim lighting, but not hard to spot in the sun. Looks a bit like someone wasn't uniform in an application of Armor All or Mother's Back to Black. The more frustrating thing to me was that it did NOT fit well and required some work. Several of the tabs are thicker than the OEM piece, so you really have to jam it in. The design of the tabs is also slightly different, with no cutouts or gaps in the tabs that make the OEM design flex and snap into place more easily. Several of my tabs never made an audible or tactile snap, leaving me wondering if they were fully in place. Finally, several of the tabs had leftover plastic in the back at the base, preventing the spoiler from being fully inserted at all. I had to dremel off excess plastic in several areas just to get the spoiler inserted fully. I haven't checked Suncoast prices recently, but for $200 for the OEM (non aero) part, it's a bit of a toss up to me, as I'm not fixated on the aero spoiler. However, for $900+ for the OEM aero part, I'd still go with this one again and deal with the fitment issues. Even though it was a pain and a bit frustrating I couldn't put it on right out of the box, $800 is a big difference.
The following users liked this post:
NYGLOBAL (12-23-2020)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM
gavram
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been through a few of these ebay front spoiler lips (I'm a curb magnet) and have been satisfied for the most part. I received one with an uneven finish, as mentioned above, but the latest one looks and fits great. I go with the scoop style with holes as I prefer the look.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:26 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've also been thinking about giving the cheap/Ebay version a try

My car is lowered and I'm constantly tearing through them.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:34 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I got one just like this from eBay. Price on this one is $102.95 with free shipping from La Puente, California. You really can't go wrong with this lip!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-06-12-Porsche-997-Turbo-S-OE-Style-Front-Bumper-Lip-Spoiler-Urethane/291723770895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

At this price it is always good to have an "extra" one put away in the garage in case you need it.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Call Suncoast Porsche and buy theirs. Get painted to match your car and the look and feel is what you are looking for.

Jay
Old 09-04-2017, 03:17 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

At cakM3 suggestion (above post), I recently purchased the same front lip spoiler from eBay. After ordering, it came in fast with a couple of very minor scratches, no biggie. The front vents are a slightly different style in a good way and the lower edge has an actual lip. For $103.00 including shipping, it's a bargain. Unless, you're an OEM maniac and $$$$ is no issue, this will fill the bill....JB
Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by John Belk
At cakM3 suggestion (above post), I recently purchased the same front lip spoiler from eBay. After ordering, it came in fast with a couple of very minor scratches, no biggie. The front vents are a slightly different style in a good way and the lower edge has an actual lip. For $103.00 including shipping, it's a bargain. Unless, you're an OEM maniac and $$$$ is no issue, this will fill the bill....JB
I also just got one. Mine had some imperfections that prevented it from fitting just perfectly, so I took a blade to it (inside area where it is not visible), and it is now perfect. It is not as pliable as the OEM lip, but it looks good, gets the job done, and costs less than half as much. I like it!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Redmist
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Ebay lip

I got one and had it painted and installed by a body shop and it turned out just about perfect. It looks like the aero kit spoiler for the Turbo. In fact it looks so good it kind of shows up a little nicer than the paint on my 2008. Get one.

Last edited by Redmist; 09-13-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling and new thought
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I got one a year or so ago but never got around to installing it, so limited or no worthwhile comments. It does look fine at first blush. I consider it a disposable, replacement item as they never seem to last long. Had one replaced by the stealer, but was quite expensive that way. And as I recall, shipping from Suncoast was VERY expensive.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had one of the ebay ones. Was much stiffer and less flexible than the oem version, and as such, didn't last very long.... Despite being a little more expensive, ordered a new one from suncoast

Quick Reply: Aftermarket front spoiler lip