Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help - Rebuilt title 2007 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 PM
turbodude26
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help - Rebuilt title 2007 turbo.

Have the option to buy a 07' 997 turbo for 45k. it was damaged in the rear, the previous wanted out of the car, basically had the insurance company mark the car as a total loss, has been repaired by a professional and has a rebuilt title. selling for 45k. has less than 45k miles on it. the images of the car look great, i cant see anything, going to check out the car next week, but wondering what your thoughts were?

What i know, is that only the rear bumper and panels were replaces, the quarter panels were not damaged, nor was the engine deck lid or rear spoiler. No frame damage, wheels were fine. suspension is fine.

Only areas of concern i can see. the lines under the tail light, and the lines of the bumper that meet the quarter panel.

Any thoughts?? thanks! Im not financing, i dont plan on selling, just looking for a car to have fun with, not looking to drive it as a daily or anything.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi
Above the pictures with red highlight circles, you say images of the car look great, and you can't see anything
But below you mention you can see problems like the tailight/bumper misalignment.
So that seems like a contradiction no?
Doesn't seem like a professional did this unless the owner ignored the damage underneath and told the professional to throw a new bumper on...and nothing more
I looked for an edit for this at the bottom of your post but didn't see it.
Try to get a list of the damage & repairs from the shop
Go look at it as planned
Get a ppi from a well referenced Indy.
GL
Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Addressing only the issue of a rebuilt title and not whether the car was repaired professionally or how it now looks:

If you plan to keep this car and YOU are satisfied that there are no structural or mechanical problems, then it might be worth a go. However, a car with a rebuilt title will be very difficult to sell. I know the subject has come up on Corvette forums in the past and there was a great deal of negativity about the ability to sell the car in the future. I'm assuming that the Porsche world may be even more particular about such a car considering the remarks I see on here regarding mods, repaints, etc. If you're keeping it forever and it passes inspection, then maybe a good deal.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:33 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Bumper/tail light interface is far from being right. I can understand a little widening along the side of the bumper up to the rear wheel, as that his held in by some funky friction clips that don't like to hold it in place super well after it has been on and off a few times, but the first picture is pretty damning. Its almost as if they used the .2 bumper skin (the exhaust tip cutout looks larger than the .1 bumper and more like the .2).
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

With all due respect, I don't see how any insurance company would agree to mark a car as a total loss if the only damage to the car was to replace the rear bumper and panels (that's less than $6K in repair costs, incl labor)! Declaration of a total loss typically requires more substantial damage...something doesn't quite add up with this story. The fact that the work 'repaired by a professional' appears to be less than professional adds more doubt to this claim. Was the repair shop a Porsche Approved Collision Center (PACC), if not forget about any claims of 'professionally repaired'. I would do more digging before you buy this car...
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could just be a aftermarket bumper that is out of shape.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 PM
turbodude26
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone. ill go look at it, and pull and tug on some stuff, and see what i see. after hearing the responses, im likely not going to do it, but we will see.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't touch it for $35k let alone 30% over that number.

It's not like there is anything of value in the rear of a 911, right?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably some aftermarket pos body shop special bumper from a 997.2 .You could get a nice 996tt for 45k with no stories, or for another 15k get into a decent 997tt sans story. I almost bought a salvage title new 09 tt a few years ago with minor water damage (sales guys left windows down overnight in a downpour) from a porsche dealer 10mi on the clock 55k, Porsche wouldn't warranty, usaa wouldn't insure it, be sure and check with your carrier first.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought a salvage turbo once. It was hit in the left fender, and the aluminum carrier that holds the front suspension on sheared its mounting points, basically slicing off the left front suspension and radiator.

It was an amazingly clean break with no frame damage of any kind. New fender, new carrier, and new left front suspension and no issues at all.

The PROBLEM was not with the impact; all of that was fixable. The problem was the guy who put it back together did a crappy job, kind of like the pictures you are showing. Corners were cut at every stage of the restoration with the exception of the paint.

I would *absolutely* buy another salvage car again IF and it is a big IF, I could buy the wreck unfixed and fix it myself. I would have a hard time trusting someone else after the **** I saw on my car.

Bottom line is this - Salvage doesn't always mean it has massive damage. Some hits, like mine, were surgically clean, and easily fixed with bolt on parts. It's the guy putting it back together that's the issue.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Same as Catorce, I would consider rebuilding to a Salvage title, but not sure if I would trust someone else. I did it on an older car I had driven since new. I knew what needed to be done and did it myself so I knew the quality of the work. Put 300K on it before I was done with it. No matter what it will always be a case by case basis.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:27 AM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a M505 1988(7?) Slant Nose with a rebuilt title.... Picked it up cheap and it was a fund driver.. Sold it cheap as well..

Would have no issues with rebuilt title if I understood the damage and work required to put it back on the road...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd take it to a decent shop and pull off the bumper to inspect. If it looks good then push the price down and drive it like you stole it.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I agree with the majority of comments on here. A salvage title, on its own, does not necessarily scare me, the standard/quality of repairs done does! If the car was repaired by a Porsche Approved Collision Center with full documentation of the work done, then the car will be structurally and mechanically as close to factory as you can get...simply bid accordingly (pay lower than MV for a clean car) and drive the heck out of it.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodude26
Have the option to buy a 07' 997 turbo for 45k. it was damaged in the rear, the previous wanted out of the car, basically had the insurance company mark the car as a total loss, has been repaired by a professional and has a rebuilt title. selling for 45k. has less than 45k miles on it. the images of the car look great, i cant see anything, going to check out the car next week, but wondering what your thoughts were?

What i know, is that only the rear bumper and panels were replaces, the quarter panels were not damaged, nor was the engine deck lid or rear spoiler. No frame damage, wheels were fine. suspension is fine.

Only areas of concern i can see. the lines under the tail light, and the lines of the bumper that meet the quarter panel.

Any thoughts?? thanks! Im not financing, i dont plan on selling, just looking for a car to have fun with, not looking to drive it as a daily or anything.
Go look at the car if you want. Get experience looking at a car with an accident on its record.

But don't spend any money to have the car subjected to a pre-purchase inspection. And leave your checkbook at home. This is not the car you want to buy.

No insurance company is going to pay out for a totaled Turbo unless the damage was severe.

How severe? Pretty severe.

Hit a mule deer with my low miles (~10K) 2003 996 Turbo back in July 2009. Just 3 weeks earlier I had paid $57.7K for the car. The damage repair estimate was over $20K and came to over $25K after all the adjustments and what have you.

Thus based on my (admittedly limited) experience the car in question suffered way more damage than just a few easily replaceable bolt on pieces.

That you see evidence of lousy repair suggests the repair is substandard.

(The body panel fits and paint finish of my repaired Turbo were quite good. "Factory" good in fact. But my body shop buddy to whom I took the car found over 20 things wrong. Then I took the car over to my local Porsche dealer and the techs removed the front bumper cover and found a number of other things wrong. Back the car went to the body shop with a copy of the list of issues and after another month was repaired properly.)

Quick Reply: Need some help - Rebuilt title 2007 turbo.