Notices

997.1 TT 2008 vs 997.2 C2S 2009

Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM
PGrasshopper
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally get this - my issue is finding a 997.2 TT nearby to drive as a comparison is hard to come by.

My hope was to see what fellow P car owners have experienced in a similar situation. I'm not expecting others to make my choice for me, just those who have direct experience moving from a 997.2 C2S to a comparable TT car (or those who've spent time with both and possibly stayed with the C2S). I expect the TT is faster, I am curious about how significant this difference feels on the city road, and spirited mountain roads.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Only you know if the S is enough power for you. Its plenty for me, but I don't track or race my cars, its plenty of power to get into all sorts of trouble
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM
PGrasshopper
User

Good point.

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
The other thing I want to add is that a Turbo is the ultimate modification car. You can get an easy 600HP out of it or you can get 1500HP + the sky is the limit. On an NA car you are very much capped. Meanwhile an NA car has the same cost for wheels, tires, brakes, clear bras, and other kind of mods....so seeing as you would be paying the same bucks for upgrades, putting it into a Turbo makes a lot more sense.

That may or may not affect your plans.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Porscheholic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Turbo is such a cool car, it's almost like Porsche was presenting real enthusiasts with a little gift that maybe would completely escape the casual user - " here is a formidable foundation of performance for you, but we are only providing the foundation - you provide your creativity and modify to your heart's content!"

I've owned my 997TT for 10 years now, and have always loved the car, but the modifications I had done last year completely transformed the car - it is perfectly tailored to my wishes and fits me like a glove.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Loseit2me
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am by no means a P-car expert. I bought a 997.2 C4S last year after researching the **** out of everything. I owned if for the summer but wasn't blown away about it. Like a battered wife I blamed myself. I appreciated the balance and the quality but really did not feel like it was worth paying for the experience. I really couldn't figure out why I did't get the whole Porsche thing. I sold the car late fall. Then the hunt began. I looked at everything from M3's to old Ferrari's and Vantage's. It's not that price was no object, i did't want to go nuts because I want to enjoy the car. The thing is I kept thinking about 911's. So then, I thought what i need is RWD and not AWD. So I started looking for 887.2 C2S's. (I also love 997 Targas). During my search I ran across a 997 turbo with good miles and what I thought to be was a great price. All I can say is, it turns out all I needed was more power to put a smile on my face. I now own a 2009 6MT turbo and it is truckloads of fun. Just go drive one and you should get hooked. I wanted the Mezger, but I love the 3.0 PCM interior and I wanted ventilated seats (hard to find!!!) . I feel like I have the best of both worlds.
The following users liked this post:
bchsiao (07-13-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 PM
PGrasshopper
User

Love your comment. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Porscheholic View Post
The Turbo is such a cool car, it's almost like Porsche was presenting real enthusiasts with a little gift that maybe would completely escape the casual user - " here is a formidable foundation of performance for you, but we are only providing the foundation - you provide your creativity and modify to your heart's content!"

I've owned my 997TT for 10 years now, and have always loved the car, but the modifications I had done last year completely transformed the car - it is perfectly tailored to my wishes and fits me like a glove.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM
PGrasshopper
User

This does s good job of summing up how I have felt - -

I laughed out loud at your "Like a battered wife, I blamed myself" comment!!! I actually called my wife into the room and read that bit to her

Looks like I need to drive a TT to see how it feels for me - - -

Originally Posted by Loseit2me View Post
I am by no means a P-car expert. I bought a 997.2 C4S last year after researching the **** out of everything. I owned if for the summer but wasn't blown away about it. Like a battered wife I blamed myself. I appreciated the balance and the quality but really did not feel like it was worth paying for the experience. I really couldn't figure out why I did't get the whole Porsche thing. I sold the car late fall. Then the hunt began. I looked at everything from M3's to old Ferrari's and Vantage's. It's not that price was no object, i did't want to go nuts because I want to enjoy the car. The thing is I kept thinking about 911's. So then, I thought what i need is RWD and not AWD. So I started looking for 887.2 C2S's. (I also love 997 Targas). During my search I ran across a 997 turbo with good miles and what I thought to be was a great price. All I can say is, it turns out all I needed was more power to put a smile on my face. I now own a 2009 6MT turbo and it is truckloads of fun. Just go drive one and you should get hooked. I wanted the Mezger, but I love the 3.0 PCM interior and I wanted ventilated seats (hard to find!!!) . I feel like I have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Received 134 Likes on 75 Posts

It's as simple as this for me - most Porsche 911s will get it done, the Turbo and Turbo S do it effortlessly.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM
PGrasshopper
User

...So I found a 997.2 TT Cabriolet 70 miles away. I played a little hooky from work to go and give it a spin.

First impressions:
  • Suspension: I was surprised that the TT's suspension felt "softer" than that of my 997.2 C2S... It actually caught me off guard. When driving even in sport mode, I'd say the TT ride was much smoother than the rattle your teeth sensation I feel with PASM in sport mode with the C2S. I could get used to this, but I actually prefer the firmer tighter feeling of my C2S. The salesmen said that this is what happens when you move up the food chain with the P car to the Turbo. Is that true by the way (or did I just drive a particularly "soft" turbo car as far as suspension is concerned)? I suppose I was expecting the TT to feel at least as firm as my C2S.
  • Speed: Holy &@#$! the Turbo is WAY faster - - -A completely different power delivery than my C2S. I came away in awe of the power, but missing the linear nature of the NA motor. All 4 tires screaming and hopping is NUTS though - - - an engineering marvel
  • Sound: No offense intended here, but I did not love the sound. I've heard it described as an angry vacuum and that pretty much sums it up for me. Sure I can get exhaust and intake etc, to address the sound. For me, I suppose I am looking for a car that is more of an "event" to drive. I am learning that at least for me, I care more about the visceral presentation than the literal speed. I'd rather perceive speed than travel it if that makes sense. "Hearing" the twin turbos whoosh and scream with all the air pressure blowing around was cool...just not at all what I am looking for. I strongly prefer the sound of the NA cars, the C2S included

Verdict, for me, I'm not sure I see a 997.2 TT in my near future. I was really hoping to love it and have a feeling that I can't live without it. Much to my surprise, I didn't feel that way. I am in awe of the power and sheer engineering of the car. There is a true rush with all that power getting to warp speed in no time flat. I suppose where I was left wanting was a bit more drama. I really enjoyed driving my C2S home with the top down and music blaring. I was able to appreciate it for all it is and enjoyed it more than I have in the past. I haven't closed the door on a TT, but I am probably only keeping my eye out for a unicorn 2009 TT with a manual transmission. I am anxious to feel how the manual adds to the experience (even if it is slower than PDK). I would love to drive a GT3 as I bet that would be amazing...but I need a convertible (i realize this is heresy for most).

I'm actually more impressed with the C2S after driving the TT, as a nearly perfectly balanced car. Sure it could be faster, but it is very, very capable, and feels great too. I learned that the C2S IS a proper sports car...nearly the perfect sports car if that exists. The Turbo is a ROCKET which is a very different experience. If/when I decide to trade-up, I could see doing something completely different, like a Gallardo spyder or similar. I recognize that a TT is much faster, but a Gallardo seems like it will be more visceral and more of an "event" as I don't need my fun car to be a daily driver.

I love how this is different for everyone, this is just my limited experience.
The following users liked this post:
bchsiao (07-13-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 AM
osu s2k
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you driven a 997 gt3? basically takes your c2s up from 8 to 11....i just picked up a 997 tt but am debating getting my gt3 back....just more fun as an occasion car, if i was going to be daily or frequently driving tt all the way. If you want turbo with visceral find a gt2. I do regret selling much more fun onstreet than tt. Gt2 will hold value better and prices are down from 2-3 years ago

Now if must be spider, i would get 991.1 gts...991 platform feels/is modern
Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Porscheholic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PGrasshopper View Post
...So I found a 997.2 TT Cabriolet 70 miles away. I played a little hooky from work to go and give it a spin.

First impressions:
  • Suspension: I was surprised that the TT's suspension felt "softer" than that of my 997.2 C2S... It actually caught me off guard. When driving even in sport mode, I'd say the TT ride was much smoother than the rattle your teeth sensation I feel with PASM in sport mode with the C2S. I could get used to this, but I actually prefer the firmer tighter feeling of my C2S. The salesmen said that this is what happens when you move up the food chain with the P car to the Turbo. Is that true by the way (or did I just drive a particularly "soft" turbo car as far as suspension is concerned)? I suppose I was expecting the TT to feel at least as firm as my C2S.
  • Speed: Holy &@#$! the Turbo is WAY faster - - -A completely different power delivery than my C2S. I came away in awe of the power, but missing the linear nature of the NA motor. All 4 tires screaming and hopping is NUTS though - - - an engineering marvel
  • Sound: No offense intended here, but I did not love the sound. I've heard it described as an angry vacuum and that pretty much sums it up for me. Sure I can get exhaust and intake etc, to address the sound. For me, I suppose I am looking for a car that is more of an "event" to drive. I am learning that at least for me, I care more about the visceral presentation than the literal speed. I'd rather perceive speed than travel it if that makes sense. "Hearing" the twin turbos whoosh and scream with all the air pressure blowing around was cool...just not at all what I am looking for. I strongly prefer the sound of the NA cars, the C2S included

Verdict, for me, I'm not sure I see a 997.2 TT in my near future. I was really hoping to love it and have a feeling that I can't live without it. Much to my surprise, I didn't feel that way. I am in awe of the power and sheer engineering of the car. There is a true rush with all that power getting to warp speed in no time flat. I suppose where I was left wanting was a bit more drama. I really enjoyed driving my C2S home with the top down and music blaring. I was able to appreciate it for all it is and enjoyed it more than I have in the past. I haven't closed the door on a TT, but I am probably only keeping my eye out for a unicorn 2009 TT with a manual transmission. I am anxious to feel how the manual adds to the experience (even if it is slower than PDK). I would love to drive a GT3 as I bet that would be amazing...but I need a convertible (i realize this is heresy for most).

I'm actually more impressed with the C2S after driving the TT, as a nearly perfectly balanced car. Sure it could be faster, but it is very, very capable, and feels great too. I learned that the C2S IS a proper sports car...nearly the perfect sports car if that exists. The Turbo is a ROCKET which is a very different experience. If/when I decide to trade-up, I could see doing something completely different, like a Gallardo spyder or similar. I recognize that a TT is much faster, but a Gallardo seems like it will be more visceral and more of an "event" as I don't need my fun car to be a daily driver.

I love how this is different for everyone, this is just my limited experience.
Hi Grasshopper - the stock suspension on the 997 generation Turbo is not ideal, a good suspension setup will completely transform the handling of the car. There are lots of good options, I went with Sharkwerks (who have a proven reputation) and am super thrilled with the results.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
User

Received 134 Likes on 75 Posts

I've had Porsches with 120 to 530hp and loved them all for different reasons. With that said, no one car will fulfill all of your needs. Even if you find the right car there will and should be some compromises.

I'd strongly prefer 5 bolt over CLs. I love driving a convertible but the class 911 shape is compromised by the cab top. Ventilated seats are nice but those little holes clog up with what must be dead skin and sweaty fat deposits.

Keep looking and keep test driving until the right one comes along. Then be ready to make some compromises and pounce.

PS - although not a popular choice in these forums - a PDK is a step up in performance and considering the all in price and warranty availability might be the best choice.

If god wanted people to row he wouldn't have invented the outboard motor or the PDK.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:06 AM
PGrasshopper
User

I haven't driven a GT3 or GT2. I think I'd love a GT3 with all that NA rawness, but alas, I really do want a 'vert, and a back seat for the kiddos-

991's for me are nice, but way more comfortable that I want. As a 3rd car, my "fun" car isn't needed to daily drive...just go rip around as an event/

Originally Posted by osu s2k View Post
Have you driven a 997 gt3? basically takes your c2s up from 8 to 11....i just picked up a 997 tt but am debating getting my gt3 back....just more fun as an occasion car, if i was going to be daily or frequently driving tt all the way. If you want turbo with visceral find a gt2. I do regret selling much more fun onstreet than tt. Gt2 will hold value better and prices are down from 2-3 years ago

Now if must be spider, i would get 991.1 gts...991 platform feels/is modern
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 AM
PGrasshopper
User

Well said. I'm not closing the door completely, but I really need to drive a few other examples of the TT to get a feel. My good friend is trying to buy a 997.1 manual transmission TT. I'm really hoping he does so I can do some extended driving and see if the manual gearbox gives me more of the visceral feel I'm after.

Originally Posted by Carlos4S View Post
You can drive a turbo like a C2S, but you canĺt drive a C2S like a turbo.

Then again, this is the turbo forum, so we may be somewhat biased...
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16 AM
PGrasshopper
User

Thanks for the reply, sage advice. I'm in the "learning" stage so I can hopefully know what I am looking for so I can recognize it when I see it. I've missed out on some cars that in hindsight I would have bought if I knew what I was looking for. Also - - - I had to chuckle about your rowing comment too. I "reluctantly" bought a PDK in my C2S...It is the best "auto" gearbox I've ever driven.

I test drove a 996 TT that had a manual and was taken off guard at how fast the 1st to 2nd gear change happened. I've never driven a 997 TT with a manual and I suspect it is even more crazy with how fast you could redline if you aren't on the ball. It was actually the tipping point that got me into PDK as it all happens very fast.

I still do miss the connection I've had in past cars throwing gears around (albeit slower). I get that PDK is technically faster. That said, shifting with paddles isn't that intuitive for me yet... I'll settle in to my PDK car for now and see if I can get the hang of the paddles.

I'm having the Sport Chrono retrofit installed at the local dealer tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited to see how the PDK sharpens up a bit---

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS View Post
I've had Porsches with 120 to 530hp and loved them all for different reasons. With that said, no one car will fulfill all of your needs. Even if you find the right car there will and should be some compromises.

I'd strongly prefer 5 bolt over CLs. I love driving a convertible but the class 911 shape is compromised by the cab top. Ventilated seats are nice but those little holes clog up with what must be dead skin and sweaty fat deposits.

Keep looking and keep test driving until the right one comes along. Then be ready to make some compromises and pounce.

PS - although not a popular choice in these forums - a PDK is a step up in performance and considering the all in price and warranty availability might be the best choice.

If god wanted people to row he wouldn't have invented the outboard motor or the PDK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 TT 2008 vs 997.2 C2S 2009

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: