997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fidelity Platinum Care Costs

Old 07-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Porsche supposedly reformulated the adhesive for the 09s. They don't seem to suffer the coolant pipe issue nearly as much, if at all. A recent survey here indicated that none of the responding 09 owners had the problem (yet), versus around 50-60% of 07/08 respondents. That may change as they keep getting older.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

What about the spun cams?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
john 997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought an 07 997tt with 17k miles at the end of January. The 5 year/50k mile platinum warranty with $250 deductible was $3500 after some negotiating with the dealership finance manager.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM
USNA12
Banned

So im assuming mileage is the deciding factor as why its so expensive.

Once the policy is purchased, what happens next? Is there a 30 day waiting period or inspection involved?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
So im assuming mileage is the deciding factor as why its so expensive.

Once the policy is purchased, what happens next? Is there a 30 day waiting period or inspection involved?
With Mike at Mossy he takes your info and payment over the phone and you get the paperwork in the mail, no inspection, no waiting period. At least that's how it worked 6 months ago for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by theplings
With Mike at Mossy he takes your info and payment over the phone and you get the paperwork in the mail, no inspection, no waiting period. At least that's how it worked 6 months ago for me.

So your mileage for your warranty started from what you reported, did you send in a picture or anything?

Just wondering how that doesn't stop people from reporting a lower mileage in order to get a better rate...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM
theplings
Racer

So your mileage for your warranty started from what you reported, did you send in a picture or anything?

Just wondering how that doesn't stop people from reporting a lower mileage in order to get a better rate...
No picture or anything, I imagine if you are buying a car there would be records of the mileage recorded during the purchase - also when you get warranty work done they may send someone out at which point they could notice the mileage discrepancy.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 AM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

apologies for the thread-jack & possibly dumb question but I assume you can buy a warranty once you have already brought the car?

I've had my '08 for 10 months and 3,000 miles now - its been rock solid but of course that's no guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong. Can I buy a warranty now or in the future or is it only at point of trade?
Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 AM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by phsingl
apologies for the thread-jack & possibly dumb question but I assume you can buy a warranty once you have already brought the car?

I've had my '08 for 10 months and 3,000 miles now - its been rock solid but of course that's no guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong. Can I buy a warranty now or in the future or is it only at point of trade?
AFAIK you can buy a fidelity warranty whenever you want, a recent purchase is not required.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Or another way to "scam" Fidelity if they don't have an inspection or waiting period would be to wait until you have the spun camshaft CEL and then buy $4000 worth of warranty to cover your upcoming $7000 repair.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Or another way to "scam" Fidelity if they don't have an inspection or waiting period would be to wait until you have the spun camshaft CEL and then buy $4000 worth of warranty to cover your upcoming $7000 repair.

Not trying to "scam" anyone, care about my career way too much to try and explain to my Commanding Officer that I have a court date for insurance fraud or whatever that would be.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Not trying to "scam" anyone, care about my career way too much to try and explain to my Commanding Officer that I have a court date for insurance fraud or whatever that would be.
Didn't say or even remotely imply you were. Just throwing out another reason why I'm surprised they don't inspect or anything.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
USNA12
Banned

Does anyone know if the Gold level coverage will cover the spun bearings or coolant pipes or front diff?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:07 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Does anyone know if the Gold level coverage will cover the spun bearings or coolant pipes or front diff?
Looking at my contract, I'd guess the coolant pipes would be covered under the "thermostat housing" part of the Gold version, and the spun cam ( not bearing) would be covered by Powertrain version. However, usually part of the disagnostic procedure for the cam issue is to replace/ swap the variocam actuators, which is an electrical part so you'd have to have possibly the gold plus version..OR since that electrical part is not explicitly called out you might need the platinum to cover it..

There's some language in the contract about "reasonable and customary" diagnostic coverages, and I know to be 100% sure on the spun cam you have to disassemble parts of the engine..that's a lot of "diagnostic" $

The front diff looks like it would be part of the powertrain coverage, but again there is an electrical component to it so I'm not sure if the plain powertrain would be good enough.

Honestly I wouldn't have anything less than the platinum version, but that's just me. I'm normally not an extended warranty fan but for this car I find it worth it... it's already paid for itself with the replacement instrument cluster, and I don't have to act like an attorney with the company on why/why not a potential big dollar repair is covered.

PS I sent you a separate email on some answers to your questions, I wasn't sure if you got it.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:22 PM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by saabin
Looking at my contract, I'd guess the coolant pipes would be covered under the "thermostat housing" part of the Gold version, and the spun cam ( not bearing) would be covered by Powertrain version. However, usually part of the disagnostic procedure for the cam issue is to replace/ swap the variocam actuators, which is an electrical part so you'd have to have possibly the gold plus version..OR since that electrical part is not explicitly called out you might need the platinum to cover it..

There's some language in the contract about "reasonable and customary" diagnostic coverages, and I know to be 100% sure on the spun cam you have to disassemble parts of the engine..that's a lot of "diagnostic" $

The front diff looks like it would be part of the powertrain coverage, but again there is an electrical component to it so I'm not sure if the plain powertrain would be good enough.

Honestly I wouldn't have anything less than the platinum version, but that's just me. I'm normally not an extended warranty fan but for this car I find it worth it... it's already paid for itself with the replacement instrument cluster, and I don't have to act like an attorney with the company on why/why not a potential big dollar repair is covered.

PS I sent you a separate email on some answers to your questions, I wasn't sure if you got it.

Excellent information. I didn't see your email let me check now though sir.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fidelity Platinum Care Costs