Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear bumperettes to run full size euro plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing rear bumperettes to run full size euro plate?

I currently run a shortened version of the german plate over here due to the rear bumperettes (they make an exception for military who's cars weren't built to take the longer euro plates). I really want to run a long euro plate and get rid of the bumperettes to "fit in" a little more and next winter when I turn in my plates for winter storage and re-register in April is the best time to do it.

My question is, I don't want to get a euro bumper, just want to remove the bumperettes. I know there are actual bumper pieces in the way, so they will have to be cut off. That's not an issue. My concern is only if the long euro plate will cover the holes to the extent that they will not be noticeable and make the car look "wrong" or like something is missing. Also, wondering if this "mod" can be reversed (i.e. can the bumper reinforcements be reinstalled or are they off for good once you cut the rivets)?

Anyone have a picture of what this would look like (with a full size euro plate installed over the holes)?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Depends on length of plate. The bumperettes come out after removing the bumper cover and some pins that are holding tabs on the bumperettes through slots in the bumper cover. So you would have slots, not holes...and they are narrow slots to begin with. They go to the edges of each bumperette, so if you held the euro plate up to the existing bumper now, will it exceed the edges of the bumperettes on left/right sides?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A euro plate will not cover the holes from the bumperettes. Mod can be reversed.

Quick Reply: Removing rear bumperettes to run full size euro plate?