Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Skill vs. Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

I'm chasing my times. And as long as I keep taking time off I'm staying on the NT01. Oh, and when a certain someone drives your car and can run it 2-3 seconds quicker than your PB, you know there is time to be had.

^^^ This.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 PM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't go any faster on current tires, hire a coach for a day
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

There is no wrong answer to this sport which is cool about it.

If you want to rip in a car, start slower and use data and a coach.

I watched a pro rip a 2:02 in a 1987 BMW 3 series with 150hp, 225 width toyos and 2700 lbs the other weekend on that config at Thill, so yes we all have lots of work to do
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
There is no wrong answer to this sport which is cool about it.

If you want to rip in a car, start slower and use data and a coach.

I watched a pro rip a 2:02 in a 1987 BMW 3 series with 150hp, 225 width toyos and 2700 lbs the other weekend on that config at Thill, so yes we all have lots of work to do
it's always fun to watch real pros come to the local tracks and just lay down crazy laps.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Consistency and cost is what matters to me. Not too many setup changes and a tire that's as fast from lap 3 till the end. Same with brake pads.

This way I know how I am doing as a driver.
With the 21" RS the MPSC2 get greasy after lap 4 and really slippery after lap 10 in the heat.
Other tires take the abuse better. Like slicks, but the cost..
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
it's always fun to watch real pros come to the local tracks and just lay down crazy laps.
It's as frustrating as it is humbling
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

NT01's suck, I run DH scrubs and won't go back for my GT3. DH's are stickier, cheaper and more confidence inspiring provided you have good car control, they just don't last as long but at least the sidewalls don't feel like mush. If you're going to run a NT01 might as well run a RE-71, just as fast and a street tire.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
NT01's suck, I run DH scrubs and won't go back for my GT3. DH's are stickier, cheaper and more confidence inspiring provided you have good car control, they just don't last as long but at least the sidewalls don't feel like mush. If you're going to run a NT01 might as well run a RE-71, just as fast and a street tire.
+1
I bought a new set from Mooty- drove around a few miles - hated the feel - sold them. I only use scrubs DH's however i did buy my first set of fresh DH's due to peer pressure from a buddy last Fall.
I take forum's very lightly. I have tried some of the "suggestions" here and have backfired for me. Not all of them - but ...
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

A 6-7 second lap difference is also relative to a lot of factors. Weather. Temp. Who else is on track. Did motorcycles race recently?

All these cars are fast. We slow them down: braking too much. Sloppy footwork. Bad blips. Etc.

Street tires are a lot more fun. Lower limit- more slips and slides.
Racing slicks are faster. More grip means bigger offs when you break loose.

Which one fits the type of driving you are doing right now?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:57 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I'll start the war / but to be fast you need to start with much slower car
I recently started driving and racing an na miata. 115 hp or thereabouts. On most tracks it is a blast and each time I get back into my other track car (s54 e36) I am putting down faster laps. It really helped me to have something that is a dog on the straights to show me how to carry as much speed as possible through the corners.

I really like the nt01 as a track day tire, but have never run the re71r.

Last edited by lcrain; 04-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thekid96
can't go any faster on current tires, hire a coach for a day
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
A 6-7 second lap difference is also relative to a lot of factors. Weather. Temp. Who else is on track. Did motorcycles race recently?

All these cars are fast. We slow them down: braking too much. Sloppy footwork. Bad blips. Etc.

Street tires are a lot more fun. Lower limit- more slips and slides.
Racing slicks are faster. More grip means bigger offs when you break loose.

Which one fits the type of driving you are doing right now?
^^ THIS.

NT01 & Pirelli DH are two very different animals..

Use the DH if you plan to use them in a race, Time Trial, or coaching when you plan to run that tire.. IMO the DH is an expensive tire for a DE?

As CJ States, the consequences are much higher on that tire, subsequently the lap-times are much lower.

I think NT01's are great tires for learning a chassis and having fun along the way. They have good grip, a lot of feedback, consistent throughout the long life of the tire, and can really teach you driving your car to the limit.

Improvement comes with practice and training. I highly suggest everyone to get coaching.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
+1
I bought a new set from Mooty- drove around a few miles - hated the feel - sold them. I only use scrubs DH's however i did buy my first set of fresh DH's due to peer pressure from a buddy last Fall.
I take forum's very lightly. I have tried some of the "suggestions" here and have backfired for me. Not all of them - but ...
Would love to hear feedback on fresh DH vs. scrub DH's I bet they are insane brand new. What is the cost for a new set, 2K?
Old 04-28-2017, 04:32 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We slow them down: braking too much. Sloppy footwork. Bad blips.
i think you just described my driving style
Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on your purpose. to win DE amongst friends, bring slicks and as much go-fast mods as you can. high 2:00.xx on 3.6l gt3 on r comps is fast.
my personal best, cyclone config, on my old gt3 was exactly 2 flat on r comp (RA1).
coaching should gain more time if your goal is to improve as a driver on the same setup.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Would love to hear feedback on fresh DH vs. scrub DH's I bet they are insane brand new. What is the cost for a new set, 2K?
Drugs are cheaper and last all day, yes 2.2k. The biggest difference that i noticed, granted i was driving on a track that i was not 100% familiar (buttonwillow). The ability of getting on the throttle harder/quicker and getting on the brakes harder and later w/ the ability of transitioning the car horizontal load very composed w/ out fighting the car. You have to try it once.

Ngng, you mentioned rain. I do live up to my username.
This is me, on hoho's, dry tires. I invited a friend for a drive, he knows "crazydriver" and he felt comfortable in going out in the rain w/ hoho's dry tires. I tested the limit on a few turns to find how hard i can push w/ him in the car(let go of steering wheel at one to illustrate not to death grip steering wheel and let the car dance in the rain), after that it was a Sunday cruise chatting about "stuff"(hence i muted)/ listening to radio. Why did i take hoho' drys ? Well it was suppose to be dry as you can see in 2nd video..... rain is fun.

Drying out.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 04-28-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Skill vs. Tire