Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Low cost GT3 stereo improvement options

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Do you think adding the rear speakers was worth the effort?

Aside....that bass system you are adding....I had a read. It doesn't seem to make any sound...just shakes you-is that correct?
My GT3 came with factory rear speakers, I just upgrade them, IMO the rear speaker fills more the cabin. The Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer it will just give you the sensation of the bass. When I add them to my 993tt, that was a great improvement, many people just told me what great & heavy punch does the Focal subwoofer have, when in reality was the bass shaker. You feel the the subwoofer punch sensantion, with NO vibration in the cabin.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Travel.crazy
Rick 930, congrats on a really nice stealth upgrade! Good looking install.

Do the Focal 165 AS3's have separate tweeters? If so, where did you put them? Did you test the sound in any other locations, appreciate your thoughts as you clearly planned this upgrade out. If you could share a photo that would be great. Thanks!
Yes the Focal 165 AS3 does have a midrange & tweeter, both of them were installed on original location, tweeter -dash & midrange -door carpet.
Will take a picture from the tweeter this week, but for the midrange will have to remove door carpet and at this moment it will be not possible.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 AM
boldstep
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick 930
I know my GT3 is LOUD, but once in a while like to listen goood music.
I did install Focal Performance 165AS3 - 6-3/4" 3-way component speaker system in the doors and Focal Integration ISC 100 4" 2-way car speakers on the rear, powered with Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4. In my opinion there was a huge sound improvement, in the next couple of months will install 1 Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer under each seat with a separate amplifier.

I do have a similar system on my 993tt and does definitively sounds GREAT!
Thanks. Did you try listening to the sound with just the speakers upgraded versus speakers plus amp? Curious how much of an improvement comes from the speakers versus the amp.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:04 PM
Johann_Karl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick GT3
I know my GT3 is LOUD, but once in a while like to listen goood music.
I did install Focal Performance 165AS3 - 6-3/4" 3-way component speaker system in the doors and Focal Integration ISC 100 4" 2-way car speakers on the rear, powered with Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4. In my opinion there was a huge sound improvement, in the next couple of months will install 1 Bass Shaker Tactile Transducer under each seat with a separate amplifier.

I do have a similar system on my 993tt and does definitively sounds GREAT!
thank you for your instructions. I want to modify my Hi-Fi as you did. Stupid question:
the focal 165AS3 consists of 3 speaker for each side. The large one comes for the door, the small one for the dash. What about the middle one- where will it be installed?
thanks in advance from Germany, Alex
Old 05-28-2022, 12:17 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

I use an Ipod for music, and added an app called EQU which is an equalization app. You can drag your figures on the screen and make any curve you like. It's amazing what you can do with EQ.

The downside is you no longer have access to change tracks from the system. Once you do, the EQ is off. So I simply put the app on shuffle and listen.

I work in high-end home audio, so I don't kid myself about how good a Porsche 997 can sound. I do it this way and have a hoot.

Quick Reply: Low cost GT3 stereo improvement options