Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

996/997rs cross post

Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default 996/997rs cross post

What are the differences in drive experience between a 996rs vs 997.1rs? I've considered importing 996rs before. However wonder if it is very similar to 7.1rs drive experience I already own. Not like I'd be doing it for its good looks. It would round out a few other RS I have but again, prob wouldn't do it if felt like near carbon copy of the 7.1.

And, no, I wouldn't track either. I would turn to Porsche latest and greatest warrantied pdks machine for the track. This would strictly be back roads on nice day.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i liek 6rs more than 7rs
but if you dont track, 6 is the absolute worst car i have ever owned for street driving.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i liek 6rs more than 7rs
but if you dont track, 6 is the absolute worst car i have ever owned for street driving.
Great feedback.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:57 PM
colin1976
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i liek 6rs more than 7rs
I prefer the purity of 6RS most of the time, although sometimes I'm in the mood for a little more refinement while maintaining an absorbing driving experience...when 7RS is perfect.

At one point I would have agreed with your second point Mooty, but having received 6RS back with the latest iteration of Exe-tc's and chassis setup by Richard Tuthill the car is transformed. "Like a tarmac rally car" was the brief...
Confidence-inspiring where it used to feel nervous, particularly on the uneven, challenging twisties we're blessed with in the less populated parts of the UK.

Mooty, I'm the guy you very kindly posted the 4.0RS promotional booklet to a few years ago.
My offer to come over and drive 6RS still stands...

C.

Uncharacteristically sunny Wales:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I need to get behind the wheel of a 996 Gt3 and I'll know the answer to my question in 15min.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by colin1976
I prefer the purity of 6RS most of the time, although sometimes I'm in the mood for a little more refinement while maintaining an absorbing driving experience...when 7RS is perfect.

At one point I would have agreed with your second point Mooty, but having received 6RS back with the latest iteration of Exe-tc's and chassis setup by Richard Tuthill the car is transformed. "Like a tarmac rally car" was the brief...
Confidence-inspiring where it used to feel nervous, particularly on the uneven, challenging twisties we're blessed with in the less populated parts of the UK.

Mooty, I'm the guy you very kindly posted the 4.0RS promotional booklet to a few years ago.

C.

Interesting to hear your feedback on the Exe-tc.
I've tried all kinds of alignment setup on the 996rs stock suspension. And it's still dodgy. Car wonders all over the road if not racetrack smooth. Have MCS on my 996gt3 trackcar and handles like a dream. Even at Sebring.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Interesting to hear your feedback on the Exe-tc.
I've tried all kinds of alignment setup on the 996rs stock suspension. And it's still dodgy. Car wonders all over the road if not racetrack smooth. Have MCS on my 996gt3 trackcar and handles like a dream. Even at Sebring.
Isn't it more an issue of stock suspension (spring rate and much older dampers) that limits the 6rs at factory spec on the road as it's very much been tuned as a track car? There's only so much alignment can do after all with the existing hardware.

Exe-tc's philosophy has been to run I think soft springs with lots of work by the damper and it's a much more modern (and expensively) designed damper than the stock Bilstein one. Interestingly enough the stock spring rates of the gt3 have continued increasing over time and yet the perceived ride comfort in the 991rs actually is remarkably good.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

C.

ah, yes i remember u colin ;-)
thx for the 6rs offer.
i dont know much about EXE TC but i know their philosophy is opposite to most other brands and is winning a lot of accolades. any 6 with well set up hi end suspension is formidable. 7.1 and 6 in terms of lap time is very very close. 7 is just a bit more "civil" while 6 more "raw".

just get both OP.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:46 AM
colin1976
Track Day

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I've tried all kinds of alignment setup on the 996rs stock suspension. And it's still dodgy. Car wonders all over the road if not racetrack smooth.
Me too, prior to Exe-tc.
I've no affiliation to the company, other than as an ordinary customer, but recommend them because they met and exceeded my already-high expectations.
If genuinely interested in what can be achieved, perhaps get in touch with Richard Tuthill - who set mine up based on his RGT / WRC work...
https://www.tuthillporsche.com/blog/tag/997-rgt/
Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 AM
colin1976
Track Day

ah, yes i remember u colin ;-)
thx for the 6rs offer.
i dont know much about EXE TC but i know their philosophy is opposite to most other brands and is winning a lot of accolades.
Yep...less spring, more damping...supple but controlled
Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 AM
colin1976
Track Day

Originally Posted by isv
Isn't it more an issue of stock suspension (spring rate and much older dampers) that limits the 6rs at factory spec on the road as it's very much been tuned as a track car? There's only so much alignment can do after all with the existing hardware.

Exe-tc's philosophy has been to run I think soft springs with lots of work by the damper and it's a much more modern (and expensively) designed damper than the stock Bilstein one.
Yes...this...you beat me to it

Worth pointing out that my initial experience was with KW V3's (which were fitted when I bought the car) rather than stock hardware.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:56 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Worth pointing out that my initial experience was with KW V3's (which were fitted when I bought the car) rather than stock hardware.
The exe-tc damper would be a huge upgrade on the v3 (both in quality and price!) to be fair to KW.

Heard a lot of good things about exe-tc but I wonder how much of the improvement in your car is down to a very high quality damper matched to a setup done by someone like Tuthills who very clearly knows what he's doing. It'll never happen unfortunately but I'd love to see comparison between properly setup cars on Ohlins/JRZs/exe-tcs.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM
colin1976
Track Day

Originally Posted by isv
Heard a lot of good things about exe-tc but I wonder how much of the improvement in your car is down to a very high quality damper matched to a setup done by someone like Tuthills who very clearly knows what he's doing.
My sense is that much of the (bumpy) road-driving finesse is due to the dampers. With previous setups I had on the Exe-tc's (not fine-tuned Tuthills), despite some shortcomings, the ability of the dampers to deal with everything the road challenged them was outstanding.
The latest setup uses a softer spring than before, internal damper and geometry changes...all borne from lessons learned during the RGT project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996/997rs cross post