Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any info on cost of ownership/depreciation on 997.2 GT3RS - thinking about buying one

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any info on cost of ownership/depreciation on 997.2 GT3RS - thinking about buying one

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting a GT car for a while and just started looking at the 997.2 GT3RS now that the new .2 GT3 has been announced and all buyers are focused on that for the moment. I was wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" for depreciation and cost of ownership for this particular car. For instance when I bought my 991 GTS it was supposed to depr about 1k a month for the first couple of years. Now I do not know if that happened and probably was the worst case scenario but I bought the car with that in mind and was prepared. This GT car will probably be tracked once in a while but mostly one of the weekend cars.

The one I have my eye on has about 10k miles already and I would add maybe 3k miles a year.

Also if there is anything to look out for please let me know. I am assuming this car has been tracked since it has a roll cage and custom exhaust. 2 owners, Not ideal but no over revs and the rest of the car is supposedly in great condition and can be CPO'd

Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

There are many topics on this subject, search is your friend. Cost of ownership will depend on your intended usage. Track day warrior vs. garage queen? 3k miles/year on a track day toy will be significantly more expensive than 3k miles driving to cars and coffee.

Depreciation will be minimal, even with the new 991.2 w/ manual. I try to convince myself that it will effect the mezger GT3 prices (as I would love one some day) but they are such different cars (991 vs 997/6) that I really don't see it causing too much of a dip if any at all in current prices.

Determine exactly what you want and be ready to move quickly. If you don't want a track car, I wouldn't buy one that has been tracked heavily. Occasional, sure, but not something that has spent most of it's life out there. Any other signs of track usage? Other than the mods. Cage/exhaust could just be because some guy liked the look and wanted it to be loud. Best not to assume, take it to a shop you trust and spend $300 to have it checked out.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Slydawg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have any issues getting the selling dealer to allow one of these GT3RS cars to be taken for a PPI off-site? Getting resistance due to fear of damage etc while out of their control.. and transporting to/from indy shop.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

there will not be enough manual .2GT3 circulating around to affect the sales of any previous GT cars.

besides, any 997RS are still highly desirable. I do not see the chance of any depreciation unless car in not so good condition, or the seller needs to sell it for money.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Buy all cars like they will burn down without insurance

If that math doesn't work don't buy imo
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost of non-ownership far exceeds the cost of owning the RS. Missing out on sublime experiences is priceless. Buy with no regrets.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Buy all cars like they will burn down without insurance

If that math doesn't work don't buy imo
Originally Posted by zumaron
Cost of non-ownership far exceeds the cost of owning the RS. Missing out on sublime experiences is priceless. Buy with no regrets.
yes and yes
Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Slydawg
Anybody have any issues getting the selling dealer to allow one of these GT3RS cars to be taken for a PPI off-site? Getting resistance due to fear of damage etc while out of their control.. and transporting to/from indy shop.
Nobody in my dealership's radius would be able to ppi the car (fresno) but if I was a bay area dealer or in socal there are 30 indy shops that can verify a 997RS within 20 mins.

The other alternative is you could pay a tech from your desired store to show up and do it at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Any info on cost of ownership/depreciation on 997.2 GT3RS - thinking about buying one