Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nostalgia Cars (Gen X Folks)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Watched wheeler dealer last night and they fixed up a nice mustang fastback. That would be something to consider. Looked amazing and only $35k
Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Another vote for the MKIV Supra (93-98 model) with a few caveats of course...

They are EXTREMELY difficult to get in the condition you'd actually want. For a clean title, never hit (all VINs) 6MT example, this is a very safe place to put your money as they are only going to keep appreciating. Watching that market for the last 18 years has been a serious roller coaster, but the car is worth the trouble if you can find the right one...which is extraordinarily competitive.

The clean and sought after examples trade hands before an ad is even created among long-standing members of the community, and it's rare to see a true cream puff being offered on the open market. It's a truly cult-like following, similar to the GT3, and very endearing to be part of. I've been a MKIV Supra guy since 1999 when I bought my first, and have been fortunate to own 5 of them since. I'm plotting my return to that community this year, and the car I'm buying is a 'buddy deal' just like I mentioned above...no ad will ever be placed.

Another similarity to GT3s is that Supras provide the greatest feeling of regret possible when you sell them, and this is truer than ever now with so few nice examples ever trading hands. It's a timeless car, which seems odd to say about a Japanese car, but those who know really do understand.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:24 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore

They are EXTREMELY difficult to get in the condition you'd actually want. For a clean title, never hit (all VINs) 6MT example, this is a very safe place to put your money as they are only going to keep appreciating. Watching that market for the last 18 years has been a serious roller coaster, but the car is worth the trouble if you can find the right one...which is extraordinarily competitive.

The clean and sought after examples trade hands before an ad is even created among long-standing members of the community, and it's rare to see a true cream puff being offered on the open market. It's a truly cult-like following, similar to the GT3, and very endearing to be part of. I've been a MKIV Supra guy since 1999 when I bought my first, and have been fortunate to own 5 of them since. I'm plotting my return to that community this year, and the car I'm buying is a 'buddy deal' just like I mentioned above...no ad will ever be placed.

Another similarity to GT3s is that Supras provide the greatest feeling of regret possible when you sell them, and this is truer than ever now with so few nice examples ever trading hands. It's a timeless car, which seems odd to say about a Japanese car, but those who know really do understand.
There is truth on the regret of sale part. Steve, you'll remember the 1997 Supra turbo I had with 5K original miles that I sold. At the time I got $38,000 for the car and it recently sold with 16K miles for $80,000......
Old 03-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

In 3-5 years that same car will be worth $100k+ ALL DAY LONG at the rate these things are going. I would never forget that old gem you had Dan, it was just stunning! But you're living a great life now, so no shame in the GT3 game!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:14 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore

+1. I have owned two supra tt since 98 and sold my last one a few years ago which only had 63k miles. Still regret it to this day.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000 AP1...it just squeezed in at the tail end of the glory days of 90's Japanese performance cars.
That 9k RPM and snappy handling is seriously fun in the right kind of roads.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
S2000 AP1...it just squeezed in at the tail end of the glory days of 90's Japanese performance cars.
I remember when I ate too many california rolls.

I had a Peugeot 205 GTI. Cool, functional and FRENCH car.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
2nd s2000
Old 03-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Jlopez55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing back fond memories

CRX Si
Scirocco 16v
87 Carrera coupe
87 m6

Quick Reply: Nostalgia Cars (Gen X Folks)