Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DD GT3s out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DD GT3s out there?

As I stated over in the GT3 for sale thread, I've been looking for the right 991.1S for months; but then made the mistake of looking into GT3s. My budget is going to keep me in the 997.1 range.

Is anyone here using their GT3 for DD duty? I have a POS work horse for work road trips, but when I'm in town, I'd be driving the P car more or less as a daily driver, as I have my 987.1 CS, which has been a fun, loyal, and consistent DDer.

I'd be much obliged for any input from those of you who are DDing your GT3s.

TYIA!

Last edited by GingerPowered; 02-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly, no big deal at all. I'm taking mine to work 2 hours round trip about once per week and I've done 11 hours straight in it no problem. Rides better than my Fiesta.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

You really need to drive one to make that decision. The condition of the roads in the area that you live in could be a deciding factor due to the GT3's stiff suspension and minimal front ground clearance.

However, if your GT3 commute is on relatively smooth roads and the heavy clutch, minimal sound deadening and the notchy shifter doesn't bother you, you will likely arrive at work with a HUGE smile on your face. IMO there are precious few modern automobiles that provide the level of blissful driver involvement that the 997 GT3 does.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:56 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive (when I drive) mine. For several years I was commuting 4 days a week, 50 miles each way. I have 73000 miles on my 2007.

For daily driving, I have mixed feelings at this point. The car never lets you forget that you are driving, which is usually a great thing for a sports car, but on a numbing highway commute may not be what you want. Frankly I am eagerly awaiting fully autonomous cars, because most of my driving is really herd migration, and not "driving".

The other somewhat irritating thing is the low clearance. I just replace the front lip when I replace the tires, and don't worry about it too much.

As a road based sports car (as opposed to track), I really can't see how it could be better or more fun. It very well may be the last sports car I buy.

--David
Old 02-24-2017, 08:03 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Austin's traffic is horrendous, and I know the - er - pleasure of having to work the third pedal through it. But: we're fortunate enough to have well-maintained roads, with long, excellent twisties in the nearby Hill Country...

Regardless, your advice is sound and well taken. I'm going to reach out to fellow PCAers to see if anyone is brave enough to let me driver their GT3 for a session.

David, I can't deny that the 991 is great as far as DD comfort, combined with performance, is concerned. I had a full day commuting in a 1.1S and a 1.2S and they were both very nice... Can't deny that I the 1.2 turbo 3.0L is quite benign though. I'm NA, all the way. Forever.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My RS is one of my daily's. It was in circulation more when I was retired, but now with the shop, the truck is in higher rotation. It has over 14k miles on it and use it for all sorts of errands. It's fine to use for daily life. It's part of the reason I bought the car, to use it all the time instead of the 4.0.

Here is a Home Depot trip

Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

this exactly.

Originally Posted by jackb911
You really need to drive one to make that decision. The condition of the roads in the area that you live in could be a deciding factor due to the GT3's stiff suspension and minimal front ground clearance.

However, if your GT3 commute is on relatively smooth roads and the heavy clutch, minimal sound deadening and the notchy shifter doesn't bother you, you will likely arrive at work with a HUGE smile on your face. IMO there are precious few modern automobiles that provide the level of blissful driver involvement that the 997 GT3 does.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to DD my GT3 when i had the option of back-roads vs. motorway to work. Logged over 12,000 miles in 2 years. Now i have a job that my only way i can get to work is motorway = smartcar, in manual, low option, as dd. IMO best cheap fun car. Rear Engine, Rear wheel drive, super agile, light and i row my gears.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my .2 GT3 every day it's not raining here in north Tx. I have 52,000 miles on it and I love every minute of driving it. When headed to work for a long shift it makes me smile to hit the sport button and let'er rip all the way to work. After a long shift, I open the door and smell the full leather interior (never gets old) and listen as I start it. The growl makes me smile and forget my long day and I let'er rip all the way home. I rev it while waiting on the garage door to open so everyone knows I'm home and then I absolutely love the smell of the hot tires and engine when I get out in the garage. I absolutely love this car and can't stand it when it rains. Yes, it's stiff. Yes, the shifter is notchy. Yes, the clutch is heavy, especially in Dallas stop and go traffic. But the miles of smiles never quits. It is the highlight of my day and I drive as often as possible. It is, after all, a drivers car and meant to be driven. I say, go for it. YOLO.....

Name:  image-1110690771.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  496.8 KB
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I would not lower the car or put a cup lip on it, mine has both and is a pretty tough drive around town along with the Gt2 buckets.

It is simply an amazing car bur personally, no way I would daily drive mine.

Find one and drive it but be prepared to buy it after that!

Goodluck.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

It is a real privilege to be able to DD these cars and if you can you should do it, Porsche's are quite unique in that they are designed for daily use in all conditions.
My DD has solid links everywhere, tractive shocks, 890NM clutch, Cup 2s and a lot of torque and I relish every minute in it.

Name:  IMG_8947_zpskiygzpqu.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  225.6 KB
Old 02-25-2017, 11:39 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
My RS is one of my daily's. It was in circulation more when I was retired, but now with the shop, the truck is in higher rotation. It has over 14k miles on it and use it for all sorts of errands. It's fine to use for daily life. It's part of the reason I bought the car, to use it all the time instead of the 4.0.

Here is a Home Depot trip

that is a sick car!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Just depends on what kind of commute you have?

To sit in stop and go traffic is not fun in any car. For me DD actually ruins the experience of owning a sports car. I bought it to drive.
There are way better cars for the boring days on the road.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:15 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
It is a real privilege to be able to DD these cars and if you can you should do it, Porsche's are quite unique in that they are designed for daily use in all conditions.
My DD has solid links everywhere, tractive shocks, 890NM clutch, Cup 2s and a lot of torque and I relish every minute in it.
A GT2 DD!?!?! Holy mother of pearl. That is most excellent.

Really appreciating the input, all. My commute to the office is only about 7 miles and I encounter minimal traffic and zero pot holes. It's the coming in and out of driveways that I'm really concerned about. As implied above, I guess I'd just have to accept the fact that the front lip is to be replaced at regular intervals.

There's a GT3 RS at Porsche Austin for $200k+... Surely they'll give me an extended test drive in it next week. Ha! Seriously though, I do need to find someone who will let me tool around town in theirs for an hour or two. I've only driven a friend's 996 GT3 once, but only for a few miles and I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison to a 997.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not many people are going to let you drive their car for a few hours unless they are your best friend. Car can definitely be a DD, but it has its flaws. Suspension is hard, but can surprisingly soak up most imperfections in the road. The clutch is probably harder than any clutch you have driven. It 100% is not fun in rush hour stop go traffic. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. 45 mins and you will be glad to get out. If you have nice roads and can find a non stop and go route it would be fun to use as a DD. Otherwise don't plan on it.

Quick Reply: DD GT3s out there?