Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DIY help. Spring install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:23 PM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY help. Spring install

Does anyone have a DIY for a spring install? I'm looking to install helper springs on my currently setup and have done this before on other cars (e36 m3) but this doesn't look as simple haha.

thx!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

assuming you need to know how to get the coilovers off of the car? Here's a rough guide from memory on my 996.

997 will be a little different with PSM shocks...IDK what connections you will have to account for there.

Front:
- Determine if you are going to remove the calipers. You don't have to but you'll stretch the brake line a touch if you leave them on. I don't remove mine but some may tell you the proper way is to remove the calipers. If you decide to remove them do so now and place them off to the side.
- remove 10mm bolt holding brake line to the upright
- remove 10mm bolt holding the ABS sensor to the upright
- remove ABS sensor wire grommets from the upright.
- Remove one side of the sway bar drop link. I usually just do the bottom since it's easier to get to
- put a jack under the control arm or rotor (don't choose rotor if you have ceramics) and support the weight of the suspension
- loosen the pinch bolt on the upright holding the shock
- remove plastic trunk trim to gain access to shock towers.
- remove the 3 13mm bolts on the top of the shock tower
- lower the jack / suspension to it's lowest height.
- put painters tape around the paint on the edge of the fender for added security
- push down on the whole suspension while pulling outward on the top mount for the shock to pull the top mount outside of the fender well (this is where you're putting strain on the brake line so use force within reason)
- once the top mount is outside of the fender pull the whole coilover assembly upwards and apart

Rear:
- Disconnect sway bar drop link whichever is easiest
- place a jack under the suspension to support it.
- take lower bolt off of the shock assembly
- lower the rear suspension and allow it to bottom out.
- remove carpet from over the rear shock towers
- remove 3 13mm bolts from the top of the shock tower and pull the coilover out of the bottom of the car.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4_saloon
Does anyone have a DIY for a spring install? I'm looking to install helper springs on my currently setup and have done this before on other cars (e36 m3) but this doesn't look as simple haha.

thx!!
Check out this DIY tech article from our site on replacing the shocks and springs on your 997. Let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Springs.htm

-Dmitry
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: DIY help. Spring install