Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Accel Junky's 997 GT3 Journal (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/974328-accel-junkys-997-gt3-journal.html)

Accel Junky 02-07-2017 06:25 PM

Accel Junky's 997 GT3 Journal

7 Attachment(s)
Hope you guys don't mind, I find keeping a little build thread / journal helps motivate me.

I just picked up my new-to-me 2010 GT3 a couple of weekends ago. I'm coming from (most recently) 2 GT4s but I've had a metric ton of interesting cars leading up to this.

Most current photo:

Attachment 1194623

-----------------------------------------------

Why did I make the switch?
I've always lusted for a 997 GT3 (4.0L more specifically, but that ship has sailed) but when the 991.1 GT3 came out the 997 prices got away from me before I could get in. So when the GT4 was announced I believed it to be the "GT3 lite" for me. The first one (a no bucket order I settled on) I was a little disappointed in but when my name came up on the local dealer list I jumped at the opportunity to re-order and fix a few things. Added buckets and PCCBs. They definitely helped but I couldn't escape the long gearing and the uninspiring engine.

The GT4 was an absolute weapon on the track, but it lacked emotion and the dwindling likelihood of a gearing solution plus the extreme cost to get the engine where it would breathe up top (powerkit) just exacerbated my growing boredom. Just by chance I decided to see where GT3s were at price-wise and ran some numbers and decided I could make it happen knowing I would never be happy without a real GT engine. I traded my GT4 in on a 2010. Shipped it to Florida and flew down and drove the GT3 back to Georgia. And here we are now.

Immediately upon test driving a 997.1 first (see the BEWARE Cobalt Blue GT3 thread) I knew a 997 GT3 of either variety was the answer and did everything I wished the GT4 would do. Driving the 997.2 back from Florida in the middle of the night gave me ample opportunity to get to know the engine. I can say with zero hesitation that I made the right move for my personality.

My usage for the car:
Mostly a casual track car (maybe 5-6 days per year split between my Fiesta) but I will take it on driving pilgrimages to the mountains and occasionally to work on a nice day.

Goals:
-A little more power as icing on the cake
-Weight reduction (within streetable reason, 2999lbs would be ideal)
-Reliable track cooling
-Unfazed track braking

Current GT3 modifications:

Engine:
-BMC filter
-Welded water fittings
-Side muffler bypass pipes (unknown maker)
-EVOMS tune

Drivetrain
-4.0 flywheel
-RS R&P
-Cup synchros 1st/2nd gear
-60/40 Guards diff

Chassis
-Front/Rear Rennline jack plates
-Rennline tie downs
-GMG adjustable upper control arm links
-Unknown toe links rear
-Unknown solid front thrust arm bushings

Body
-GMG carbon dive planes
-Clear side markers

Interior
-OEM Tequipment alcantara steering wheel
-MA Carbon door pulls

Wish list:
I haven't had the chance to track it yet or toss it around, so I'm not sure about the handling department or braking department yet. As far as the engine/drivetrain, it fells phenomenal with the shorter effective gearing so I don't think there is too much else that I need to do but there is still some easy power to be had.

COMPLETE -Baseline track alignment
-Track pads
-Change fluid (unknown) to Motul RBF
-Lightweight LiFePo battery
-Misc weight reduction
-Catless headers
-Revised intake (either dual inlets from deck lid or another option)
-Live tune with changes
COMPLETE -Paint match mirror uppers
COMPLETE -Stock shifter re-fit (whatever is in there is way too stiff/notchy for my taste)
COMPLETE -Replace yellow headrest inserts with black
COMPLETE -Replace or reupholster tired MA Carbon steering wheel
COMPLETE -Replace Lloyd mats with fresh OEM mats
COMPLETE -Remove/sell Rennline pedal covers for OEM
-Rear latch system retrofit (for my son, if I end up keeping it long term)
-Lighter wheels
-Lighter brake discs

Current weight reduction:
- Side muffler delete
- 4.0L flywheel

Total current weight w/ full tank: 3199lbs

Starting weight (full tank, all tools, mats, manuals as delivered -- includes existing weight loss from 4.0L flywheel and side muffler delete)

Attachment 1194624

Starting photos:

Attachment 1194625

Attachment 1194626

Attachment 1194627

Attachment 1194628

Attachment 1194629

Accel Junky 02-07-2017 06:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First thing I did was remove the Porsche logo from the wing. Not really my style.

Before (dealer photo):

Attachment 1194621

Now:

Attachment 1194622

Accel Junky 02-07-2017 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out the center console is the perfect size for my carry:

Attachment 1194620

bmwtye 02-07-2017 06:47 PM

Great looking car. Build threads are good. Mine is right under yours :)

Hothonda 02-07-2017 06:49 PM

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2....jpeg~original

This will be a great thread to learn from...

FLT6SPD 02-07-2017 09:35 PM

You did good in the purchase, it looks great! Hard to beat the 997GT3 for the interaction and emotion it evokes

Modena 1 02-07-2017 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
You did good in the purchase, it looks great! Hard to beat the 997GT3 for the interaction and emotion it evokes

This.

nwGTS 02-08-2017 01:10 AM

Lots of great track mods right out of the gate. Hard to go lighter than CC discs. Assume you'll go steelies with all the tracking? Subd

montoya 02-08-2017 10:45 AM

As the previous owner of the car, and one that tracked it extensively I hope you don't mind a few comments relative to your goals based on my experience...

Goals:
I had a full Akrapovic exhaust on the car with 100 cell cats. Power increase was about 40 WHP and was awesome. I would look into something like this. You already have the EVOM tune (this is why I bought it-for the exhaust), and they can tune for a new exhaust. I would look at Dundon for a reasonable alternative to the Akra which if you buy new is $15K!!

The Akra did it for me- something like 70 lbs off the tail. Also lighter wheels work well- I went with Forgeline GA1R. Both are simple bolt-ons that will get you to around 3150 dry. That extra 150 lbs will not be easy to get to your goal. I would not try as it will probably mean ripping out the interior.

-Reliable track cooling
Ummm, I tracked it like a race car in 100F conditions at 2000'. You have more than adequate cooling, never once did I have anywhere close to a overheat condition.

-Unfazed track braking
The right track pads are all you need. Never had one bit of fade or issues with the brakes. I used HAWK DTC60 rear and DTC70 front. Go all day at max pace, no fade. Motul fluid and regular flushes for maintenance.

Good luck!

Accel Junky 02-08-2017 11:11 AM

Thanks, all. Looking forward to sharing updates.

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 13944330)
As the previous owner of the car, and one that tracked it extensively I hope you don't mind a few comments relative to your goals based on my experience...

Goals:
I had a full Akrapovic exhaust on the car with 100 cell cats. Power increase was about 40 WHP and was awesome. I would look into something like this. You already have the EVOM tune (this is why I bought it-for the exhaust), and they can tune for a new exhaust. I would look at Dundon for a reasonable alternative to the Akra which if you buy new is $15K!!

The Akra did it for me- something like 70 lbs off the tail. Also lighter wheels work well- I went with Forgeline GA1R. Both are simple bolt-ons that will get you to around 3150 dry. That extra 150 lbs will not be easy to get to your goal. I would not try as it will probably mean ripping out the interior.

-Reliable track cooling
Ummm, I tracked it like a race car in 100F conditions at 2000'. You have more than adequate cooling, never once did I have anywhere close to a overheat condition.

-Unfazed track braking
The right track pads are all you need. Never had one bit of fade or issues with the brakes. I used HAWK DTC60 rear and DTC70 front. Go all day at max pace, no fade. Motul fluid and regular flushes for maintenance.

Good luck!

Oh no, I don't mind at all! As far as the track reliability, I was assuming that I'd need to feel it out and see what it needs but it sounds like I should have no issues as long as I take care of the brake fluid and pads before the first time out. Most of my track cars have needed something to track without overheating or needed significant brake updates to make it through sessions of my extremely late/hard braking habits.

The weight reduction goal is mostly uninformed at this point, just a nice sounding number that I picked same as my GT4 goal. Will likely revise. That was my goal with the GT4 and I was pretty close to it from the get-go with the PCCBs but in this case I will likely not have that 40lb advantage.

Because I love fiddling with weight reduction so much, I have a nice set of Intercomp corner scales at home. I therefore plan to have a "starting" weight posted soon.

neurotic 02-08-2017 12:39 PM

god, I looooove your journals :)

the m3 couples delivery was my favorite as my GF also drives a stick and is a huuuuuge M3 fan

WheelsB 02-08-2017 02:54 PM

Congratulations on acquiring this great piece of machinery. Judging by the way you speak about her you definitely made the right decision. *Subscribed*

If you want to kill two birds with one stone the Akrapovic Titanium Sport Cup Exhaust will certainly do that for you. Gains of +8.4 hp // +11.9 ft-lb // and most importantly -46 lbs over the OEM exhaust. Not to mention the intoxicating sound:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...10e2ef3c7a.png

As for lightweight wheels, how about the best in the business - HRE R101 LW's estimated at just over 17 lbs for the front and under 20 lbs for the rears

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4af15d92f7.jpg

MKIVdan 02-08-2017 03:42 PM

Congrats on the car! looks nice!

Nice to see old skool supra guys with GT3's and GT4's now :)

T10Chris 02-09-2017 02:03 PM

Will be following this! Car looks great. All solid choices so far.

Any idea which Lithium battery you'd want to go with? I've been researching that on and off for the last month or 2.

Steve Theodore 02-09-2017 03:21 PM

This is so freaking awesome. I know Accel Junky for many years off Supraforums and he's just as much of a weight weenie as I am. So happy you found a 2010 GT3 and that you're here sharing your adventures with us. You're never going to regret buying that car brother. :)