JRZ, Ohlin, or Tractive

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
Hey Larry - thanks for the info.

I assume then it can read when the DSC is connected, but when the OE PASM controller is put back, the ECU has no recollection that it has been removed?
Not a trace!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

A couple of points:

Any shock that is more than 2 way will be very difficult to adjust properly.

Get the best shock you need: do you tune your suspension for every track you run? How good a driver are you - are you chasing 10ths? - If the answer to both is 'no' then save your money and get a good 2 way - and follow the recommendation of your RACE mechanic. (s)he will know how to tune them.

If you want to spend $$$ there is a lot more crazy err I mean room left in your suspension: RSR uprights, front cross member, rear cross members, sways...

Lastly LOTS of seat time...

Ray - who has been chasing crazy for a bit...
Old 12-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
A couple of points:

Get the best shock you need: do you tune your suspension for every track you run? How good a driver are you - are you chasing 10ths? - If the answer to both is 'no' then save your money and get a good 2 way - and follow the recommendation of your RACE mechanic. (s)he will know how to tune them.

If you want to spend $$$ there is a lot more crazy err I mean room left in your suspension: RSR uprights, front cross member, rear cross members, sways...

+1!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe he stated he does not track his gt3.

We all have our "wants" for whatever (fill in the blank) reason.

Originally Posted by rbahr
A couple of points:

Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I do track my GT3 and will be tracking it more now that I finished a lot of it for now. Track time will be 40-50% use.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I will come back to the reason I have personally not jumped on board the 2+ way adjustable systems on
any of my GT3's in order to 'improve' the handling, and my lap times (if I even cared about those).

I personally do not have the skills necessary to be able to 'read' (using the seat-o-the-pants-ometer)
what my car's suspension is doing as I lap, my cognitive load is 100% driving the car, therefore w/o
another individual so skilled (and perhaps some on-board telemetry) I really dont have the ability
to intelligently adjust shock settings in order to extract the additional value in them ...

I guess I could adopt a "Newton's Method" approach dial something in (perhaps even as I did once
with my sways and set them full soft - that was an experience I wont forget) and then iterate
towards a better setting by repeating laps and trying to judge how the car is responding ... but
do I really want to do that - maybe if I was obsessed with lap times, or just got my jollies by
messing around with the technology ... but I could do that (much easier) by just reprogramming
my DSC...

So in my view, unless you are a hard core racer, or a nerd (or both), installing a highly adjustable
suspension system (and not setting it up properly or at all) you are either wasting money, or simply
buying jewelry...

I'd say, install your JRZ's or get DSC ... anything else is redundant

YMMV
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 AM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bilstein Clubsport (2 way). OEM fit, finish and reliability (no leaks).
Old 01-15-2017, 12:18 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Been toying with the idea of changing up my coilovers in the spring (JRZ rs pro DA) and wanted to see everyone's thoughts on the following:

JRZ 4 ways with inverted front strut
Ohlin TTX 3 ways
Tractive DDA + DSC

My suspension guy is comfortable with both JRZ and Ohlins and has been wanting to try out Tractive, so that doesn't weigh in on the decision. The car does see street time but is not a daily driver at all.
Tye, I think you've still got my email address. Drop me a line if you want firsthand DSC+OEM and DSC+Tractive user experiences. In the meantime, +1 on either, but +100 on the latter!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC_Boostaholic
Tye, I think you've still got my email address. Drop me a line if you want firsthand DSC+OEM and DSC+Tractive user experiences. In the meantime, +1 on either, but +100 on the latter!
PM sent...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default PM sent

Originally Posted by NC_Boostaholic
PM sent
Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

This is a recent feedback I received from a GT3 owners who went from DSC with OE PASM shocks to DSC + Tractive-

"Hi Tom,

I had my Tractive coilovers installed this past Wednesday and put the 50 miles on Thursday. I will be getting the car setup and aligned next week.

But within 2-3 blocks of driving the car, all I can say is OMG. I have no words to describe how good the system is. I purposely drive over bumps and ruts that I used to avoid, and the system just soaks it up.
But I can still feel everything like I should, it's just that the car's oscillating vertical and lateral movement over bumpy pavement is completely controlled now.

It's pure magic. I am so impressed and I'm not impressed easily. This is by far best mod I have done to the car.

I thank you, TPC, DSC, and Tractive for developing such an amazing game changer product. I can't wait to try the system in track after the car is setup."

As for track credibility, the proof is in our 997-class setting records in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge results. This sanctioning body mandates sealed factory engine, factory gearbox, factory suspension arms, factory sway bars, and spec tires. The only mod allowed are dampers. In this environment it is the norm to run $10K+ dampers and hire highly talented engineers and mechanics to setup each car for each day/each run. Having DSC + Tractive eliminates the need for damper tuning for each day/each run, which for club level and enthusiast level use eliminates the potential of adjusting non-electronic dampers to produce negative results for the conditions. I've been selling, installing and supporting different brands of adjustable dampers since 1995, to sum up my 20+ years of experience, adjustable dampers are only as good as the adjustments themselves(i.e. when adjusted wrong for the conditions it is very possible that non-adjustable sealed damper will perform better). I have been very fortunate over the years to have access to very good baseline damper settings and chassis setup specs to provide with every set of dampers that I've sold and installed. With the DSC + Tractive revolution all we have to do is focus on the alignment, rake and sway bar setting to get the most out of the dampers(which by the way, we provide these chassis specs and support to our customers to ensure their success). The damper setting "engineers" are in the algorithm of the DSC. In fact, the DSC mapping to the consumers is exactly the same as in our record-setting 997 GT3 Cup! The comfort aspect below 0.3g or 0.2g is managed by the G Comfort Parameter function of DSC. Best of both worlds really.

A special shout out to our friends competing in the NASA racing series whom have achieved stellar results in their 997 GT3's on DSC + Tractive!

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-05-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: corrected grammatical errors

Quick Reply: JRZ, Ohlin, or Tractive