Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cup shifter and cables for 997.2 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:26 AM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There are a few different shifters and this has been documented with pictures at some point.... and are mostly interchangeable. Note the cup shifter/cables you need the right ends and clips for them.

996 cup shifter - metal bushings, longer throws than 997.2 GT/RS
997 short shifter - option for the 977 carreras
997 standard shifter - same used in carreras and GT3, and 987, plastic bushings
997.2 GT/RS - this has a metal bushing shifter with shorter throws

If you have a .2 you can get the cup cables (get the right ends/clips in process).
or get the full 996 cup cables/shifter
or get the full CAE setup
Everyone that has the CAE raves about it.
Would there be a benefit to doing full 996 cup cables/shifter vs .2 OE shifter/cup cables?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Bryce86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a CAE in my track M3. The precision is perfection. So well spring loaded that you'd need to try hard to miss shift. Despite its length it shortens the shift.

Do the cables and shifter offer the same effect? Would you do this in conjunction with the CAE?
Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

boostedtoy is
comprehensively right

altercation has all the data

i tried every combination in existence on MY OWN cars. if threes a way to break something i will find it. that said i only run 996cup shifter and cable. is it best? to me yes. but every combo has issues. all are notchy. but different ways. u may want to try them.

sometimes too short is just too short
i know many love CAE. it's
machines beautifully
i hated it. strokes are too short for me.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:39 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for their valued input. I think I am well equipped now to make a decision....

Now it comes down to, do I try to and take the challenge of removing my center console before taking it to GMG!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Numeric Racing

This is in response to what someone said about the Numeric Shifter. I can tell you that the shifter will not cause your shifting to be notchy. When it is not hooked up to the cables it is as free as can be. Basically flops around on precision bearings. I can tell you if your shifter is notchy it is most definitely coming from your shifter cables. You can get rid of the notchiness in a few ways. You can install a new pair of cables. You can also clean your current cables with carb cleaner and then relubricate them. I have done this before. I periodically do this to my Numeric cables in my race car. I want my shifting to be as free as can be. Also it will not wear your gears out prematurely. The shifter has nothing to do with meshing the gears. It is simply pulling on the cable and moving the shift selector engaging it into gear. We are not changing anything in the transmission that would cause the gears to wear prematurely. All the rotating axis on the Numeric shifter are on bearings making it feel much smoother than stock. It is also housed in a billet aluminum eliminating any flex. The cables are a larger diameter making them stronger than stock. They are a upgrade from the current cup cables. The nameless shop making those statements is clearly and absolutely 100% wrong.

Dan

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
Feedback from a well know shop (they will remain nameless) advised me to stay away from the Numeric shifter for 2 reasons...

1. Too notchy
2. I will wear out the gears prematurely

So they highly suggested if I want to go down this route is to stick with the CUP shifter and cables.

I am considering taking the console out myself and bring the car to the shop to avoid the added labor. I assume the removal/install of the console is the most time consuming portion of the install??

Would I see the most gain from the cables or shifter? Would the best bang for the buck just be the cables?
thanks for the input. i have a numeric with their cables and am very happy with it. the shortest position was too short for me, but a less aggressive setting has been great. i can't speak to #2 though, but that sounds like an adjustment issue?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:52 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

FYI - Just informed that the 996 Cup Shifter is no longer available from PMNA.

Cables are in abundance.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Cables are in abundance.
A workaround solution to this would be to upgrade a standard 996 GT3 shifter with the Function First Shift-Right metal internals. I installed this in my 997 shifter and has been happy with it.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:27 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Not sure what how that would be an upgrade. I suppose I can just install the First Shift-Right metal internals on the .2 shifter
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

i'll simplify this:

If I had your car (a .2) I would just get the cup cables. There is a noticeable difference in shift feel.

Keep It Simple. Now, if you want more it's easy to swap in the shift box (2 hour DIY if going slow). Cables are a little more work.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
i'll simplify this:

If I had your car (a .2) I would just get the cup cables. There is a noticeable difference in shift feel.

Keep It Simple. Now, if you want more it's easy to swap in the shift box (2 hour DIY if going slow). Cables are a little more work.

That's exactly the plan. She's headed to GMG Tomorrow
Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Cables are in abundance.
Well that kinda sucks... I just installed the cables this afternoon and was going to look for the shifter to match. I was always torn between the cup shifter and .2 GT3 shifter anyway, so I guess the .2 it is

Originally Posted by runet
A workaround solution to this would be to upgrade a standard 996 GT3 shifter with the Function First Shift-Right metal internals. I installed this in my 997 shifter and has been happy with it.
Are you sure that makes it the same as the cup shifter?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The only difference btwn the Cup shifter and the standard 996 shifter is the Cup shifter replaces the OEM plastic/rubber bushings with aluminum bushings. This reduces flex. However, the Cup shifters have a tendency to wear out over time and develop significant fore/aft play.
The 997.2 GT3 shifter is a standard throw 997 shifter with aluminum bushings. So it's essentially a Cup shifter with 15% reduced throw.

The Function-First SHIFT-RIGHT Solution replaces the shifter bushings with ball bearings, AND replaces the entire shifter yoke mechanism that translates side-side cable motion with a billet piece mounted on ball bearings. End result is smooth and solid feel with zero flex or play.

For an in-depth read explaining the OEM shifter options, including the Cup shifter and my SHIFT-RIGHT Solution upgrade, check out this in-depth thread I posted a while back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-upgrade.html

Any questions at all, please reach out!
Oh, and we'll be running a holiday sale - announcement coming this Friday.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:01 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Function-First
The only difference btwn the Cup shifter and the standard 996 shifter is the Cup shifter replaces the OEM plastic/rubber bushings with aluminum bushings. This reduces flex. However, the Cup shifters have a tendency to wear out over time and develop significant fore/aft play.
The 997.2 GT3 shifter is a standard throw 997 shifter with aluminum bushings. So it's essentially a Cup shifter with 15% reduced throw.

The Function-First SHIFT-RIGHT Solution replaces the shifter bushings with ball bearings, AND replaces the entire shifter yoke mechanism that translates side-side cable motion with a billet piece mounted on ball bearings. End result is smooth and solid feel with zero flex or play.

For an in-depth read explaining the OEM shifter options, including the Cup shifter and my SHIFT-RIGHT Solution upgrade, check out this in-depth thread I posted a while back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-upgrade.html

Any questions at all, please reach out!
Oh, and we'll be running a holiday sale - announcement coming this Friday.

This hit the nail right on the head...thanks for the posting on this thread!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:06 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 103 Posts

^ Looking forward to the pricing this Friday

Quick Reply: Cup shifter and cables for 997.2 gt3