Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on ECU flash for 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:48 AM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thoughts on ECU flash for 997.2 GT3

Fellow GT3 owners. I was curious to hear your thoughts on a ecu flash for the 997.2 GT3. Is it worth it for the minimal performance gains?

There seems to be a stigma amongst the "purists" that feel they would never buy a car that had the ECU flashed with a performance tune. Not that I have intentions on selling the car but I feel you have to preserve the value of these cars, as we all know unmolested cars tend to yield the most value.

My car is currently in the great hands of GMG Racing doing some upgrades, primarily sport headers and center section exhaust, and competition set up. I am on the fence on pulling the trigger on the GIAC tune. It's it's a OBDII flash so no issues of it going back to stock.

So is it worth it for 10 or so HP gains?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 AM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago. There are couple of ways to look at it:

1. Mods usually never add value to the car period, and a tracked or modded car is usually going to be at least a "yellow" flag to the next potential buyer.

2. You have factory warranty and don't want to void it. If this is the case, most people would decide against such a mod.

3. You are setting up your car for track work, or enhancing its performance, so why not tune?

I installed the Sharkwerks exhaust and the EVOMS tune together. Did it make a huge performance difference? Not really. But did it smooth out the acceleration and make the car feel more lively? To me, yes, and I am glad I did it.

I have had 20 track days with the car since and no issues related to the tune and engine. As you also mention, since the tune is reversible via OBD, it should not be an issue if you change your mind.

My 2c.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:10 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i feel it improves driveability and smoothness of throttle input, if not any meaningful hp gains
Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought the 997.2 cars needed a retune for left foot braking and heel and toe, du to the throttle body closing when brake is pressed with OEM ECU?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 AM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the input. At this point I am just improving/maximizing performance on the car.

The car is a very clean, 1 owner car (I am 2nd) and it is covered by a CPO. I am being very cautious to not go overboard on the mods because I know first hand that they cannot be recouped if I decide to sell. Although I do feel the exhaust components tends to resell on RL fairly quickly, so those tend to maintain demand especially GMG center sections and sport headers.

I am not going crazy on suspension components. I am having GMG do their Competition Set up on the OE suspension. They're just make adjustments on the OE suspension components to maximize factory performance. So really the only "mods" that I am really doing are the headers, center section, powder coating the OE wheels black, and some CUP and RS aero pieces.

I am trying to keep the car as OE as possible as I feel what I am doing will just enhance the driving experience for me and yet can be "bolt on/bolt off" for someone who wants a 100% OE car.

I am leaning on no ECU tune as of now given the gains only tend to be a placebo effect. We are only talking about minimal HP gains and a fractional torque gains, at the risk of breaking into the ECU and "deflowering" the car.

Now if we were in a 997.1 turbo and 90HP gains for a 3k tune.....no brainer!
Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM
SignatureJames
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I did Cobb Accessport on my 997.2 and people that have driven mine says the power band and delivery is way smoother, I also did a dyno test on it when I had my headers w/ high flow cats/ side muffler deletes/ etc. You're more than welcome to meet up and sit in for a ride to compare if you would like. Good luck with your decision
Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

James

What was the dyno gain?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:38 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
The car is a very clean, 1 owner car (I am 2nd) and it is covered by a CPO.
If your car has CPO I would be weary about flashing the ECU as it will void the warranty. From my understanding, even if the ECU is reflashed back to the OEM map, dealers can identify that the ECU was previously reflashed. See post 7 below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-warranty.html
Old 08-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago. There are couple of ways to look at it:

1. Mods usually never add value to the car period, and a tracked or modded car is usually going to be at least a "yellow" flag to the next potential buyer.

2. You have factory warranty and don't want to void it. If this is the case, most people would decide against such a mod.

3. You are setting up your car for track work, or enhancing its performance, so why not tune?

I installed the Sharkwerks exhaust and the EVOMS tune together. Did it make a huge performance difference? Not really. But did it smooth out the acceleration and make the car feel more lively? To me, yes, and I am glad I did it.
+1

Originally Posted by adi_d
I have had 20 track days with the car since and no issues related to the tune and engine. As you also mention, since the tune is reversible via OBD, it should not be an issue if you change your mind.

My 2c.
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i feel it improves driveability and smoothness of throttle input, if not any meaningful hp gains
+1

Originally Posted by runet
I thought the 997.2 cars needed a retune for left foot braking and heel and toe, du to the throttle body closing when brake is pressed with OEM ECU?
yes that's my understanding also
Old 08-04-2016, 05:10 PM
jimmyj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great information, thank you.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

[OT] throw in a TPC Dynamic Suspension Controller while you are at it, you wont regret it - transforms 7.2 GT3 PASM
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

With much thought I've decided to stick with OE ECU software. Thanks for everyone who chimed in.

The risk of perceived value outweighs the actual value of the tune In my opinion.

For those So Cal folks see you at Pelicans Cars And Coffee.

Carrara white gt3, PCCB's, painted seat backs, + GMG goodies.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:35 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So what tune do you guys recommend? Softronic, EVOMS, GIAC??
Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2016, 01:42 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call in leaving ECU alone for warranty purpose. Do the TPC, you will have no regrets. One of the best mods for these cars. Transforms the vehicle.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:52 AM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Does the TPC DCS make any difference in standard mode or just in pasm sport mode?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on ECU flash for 997.2 GT3