Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Carbon Ceramic Brake Demystified

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

No. I think it's one that the CGT weighed the same as a GT2 and had enormous rotors. CGT owners were afraid of tracking them due to severe crash fear. And the tricky carbon clutch. That spooked owners and that's where customers PCNA clashed. I owned one of 17 PTS CGTs in North America. It was a garage queen. I also learned how to drive a CGT well before I bought mine. If you have access to an old Excellence Mag with the CGT press car I was one of the test drivers and the Seal Grey GT2 is mine. You'll see my review of the CGT written nearly 15 years ago in addition to my name. Josh Former Contributing editor to Excellence. Best Josh
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

BTW, at risk of forever pissing off RB a couple last notes. I am NOT fast. I love cars and I was lucky to own some amazing cars when I was young. The drivers that pushed rotors that I referenced were professionals, super quick hardcore amateurs and a few random still unexplained incidents including offs, prior owner who knows what they did and marbles and maybe other stuff. I was a Porsche, Mercedes and Ferrari guy and I was treated great by all including NA reps. When I did have issues it was my fault for impulse eBay buys without proper dili. Yeah I was that guy several times. I'm sorry RB I'm sorry slo. I feel awful for this threadjack. Best Josh
Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
BTW I think I just answered my question. Your brake kits actually preserve value of any performance cars. The owner can put his OEM stuff safe in the box, buy your kit actually improve his brake performance, enjoy his car free of brake stress and then if they sell replace original brakes and increase value of car by having pristine brakes and then buy and repeat. I really do love your concept. It's a truly great idea. I'll shut up now. JBO
Very good point.

A well designed brake system can actually "enhance" the overall value of a performance car in addition to preserving the value.
We love the advancement of the new brake rotor and pad material, while our design is still based on old school tradition; the fundamental of material science and physics (thermodynamics) for a maximum flexibility and interchangeability. As an example ALL RB-CCB brake system offer for Porsche are designed to use the same calipers and rotors (front and rear), the only difference in the kit is the adaptors for different spindles/upright. (from 993 all the way to 991)

The disc sizes are 394/390, the brake pads used in RB calipers (with open top and differential bores) are same as Z28 and ZR1 C7, so you know the replacements are much cheaper and easier than Porsche dealers, and they will continue be available 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

For those who are looking for something different or better, we offer continuous fiber discs and sintered pads options. They are made only with different material / compound but are 100% compatible with ZR1/Z28 fitment.

Our idea is to offer a ccb system to transform either the traditional iron brake or expensive pccb with a "bullet proof" performance yet even more cost effective (cheaper to run than iron) system, good for any driving condition.

We believe if a system can satisfy the renown Porsche's professional racer David Dononue it's probably good for the rest of us.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14334913
Old 04-17-2018, 05:02 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

We believe if a system can satisfy the renown Porsche's professional racer David Dononue it's probably good for the rest of us.
Did you guy's use the continuous fiber discs, or the chopped fiber discs for the Pike's Peak car?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Car is a 991 Turbo, the discs are of chopped fiber.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

GTR is the community where more owners converting OE iron to CCM rotors. Shawn was the first track driver installed first ST CCM rotors (via Stillen/AP) for track abuse, and the rotors last for two years (with mixed use of pads), later he changed to ZR1 rotors with RB sintered pads

http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/393...-6#entry135156

shawnhayes, on 15 Apr 2018 - 6:04 PM, said:
RacingBrake sells a kit for them to do so if they want.

It all depends on how much and how often you track, and if you want to foot the replacement costs.

If you track every other weekend, hard, at high speed tracks the rotors can burn up quickly.

I burned up a set of CCM's in 2 years.

Multiple track events on the ZR-1's, even used ones never even phased them.

Shawn

Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

RacingBrake debuted its continuous fiber CCM rotors (Installed in BMW M4 club race car).

Discs have "Directional" cooling vane to keep the rotor cooler, and are fully machined to achieve minimal balance weight correction.

Brake system is 380x34mm CCM with RB 6 piston calipers for the front, and 380x30 Iron with RB 4 piston calipers for the rear.
Calipers are equipped with RB XC-41 race only full metallic pad with 0.6 - 0.65 COF

A bullet proof brake set up, never will have brake fade, absolutely no crack, warp, or chip that is built to perform the most demanding brake task.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:27 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
RacingBrake debuted its continuous fiber CCM rotors (Installed in BMW M4 club race car).

Discs have "Directional" cooling vane to keep the rotor cooler, and are fully machined to achieve minimal balance weight correction.

Brake system is 380x34mm CCM with RB 6 piston calipers for the front, and 380x30 Iron with RB 4 piston calipers for the rear.
Calipers are equipped with RB XC-41 race only full metallic pad with 0.6 - 0.65 COF

A bullet proof brake set up, never will have brake fade, absolutely no crack, warp, or chip that is built to perform the most demanding brake task.
What sizes are you planning on producing in CCM-X for the Porsche community?
Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

394x36/390x32mm RB CCB system kit (bolt on installation)
Same as our current offer with ZR1/Z28 discs but customer will have more choice on rotor material.

380x34/380x30 mm RB CCM-X rotor kit (bolt on installation)
Same as 991 GT3 standard iron brake re-use OE red calipers, the rear will be 30mm in thickness so no modification to pad bolt is required.

350x34/350x28 RB CCM-X rotor kit (bolt on installation)
Same as 996/997 GT3/Turbo for pccb replacement (can be 380/350), or iron upgrade.

All kits are precisely engineered and manufactured for a direct bolt on installation.

OE caliper upgrade to complete RB calipers for a complete RB CCB system is available for both 380 and 350 rotor kits.

Progressively upgrade from stock iron to complete CCM-X kit as your braking need increases or budget allowed.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
394x36/390x32mm RB CCB system kit (bolt on installation)
Same as our current offer with ZR1/Z28 discs but customer will have more choice on rotor material.

380x34/380x30 mm RB CCM-X rotor kit (bolt on installation)
Same as 991 GT3 standard iron brake re-use OE red calipers, the rear will be 30mm in thickness so no modification to pad bolt is required.

350x34/350x28 RB CCM-X rotor kit (bolt on installation)
Same as 996/997 GT3/Turbo for pccb replacement (can be 380/350), or iron upgrade.

All kits are precisely engineered and manufactured for a direct bolt on installation.

OE caliper upgrade to complete RB calipers for a complete RB CCB system is available for both 380 and 350 rotor kits.

Progressively upgrade from stock iron to complete CCM-X kit as your braking need increases or budget allowed.
Are the continuous fiber discs made by ST or someone else?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Are the continuous fiber discs made by ST or someone else?
Pictures can answer to your question:

RB Disc (As machined):

ST Disc (As casted):

Those casting can lead to major dynamic balance weight correction.

Wt correction is understandable, but with such a severe one (shave into drill hole) is a rejection by our QA, although ST claimed they are "Normal"

Last edited by RacingBrake; 04-28-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Difference in vane design:

Traditional Straight Vane Design (Brembo & ST): Rotor are non-directional (Left and right are the same, less efficient in cooling)

Angle Vane Design (RacingBrake): Rotors are directional (More efficient in cooling air circulation and can keep braking temperature lower)

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brake Demystified