Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

No Worries, and will do!!!
Glad to help.......one needs to know the high, medium, and low data points in the GT3 market to get the real picture.
I admit fully to being a bottom feeder looking for a fair deal (fingers-crossed still!).......I sold my 2010 back in 2013 and have been wanting to get back in for a couple of years.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
No Worries, and will do!!!
Glad to help.......one needs to know the high, medium, and low data points in the GT3 market to get the real picture.
I admit fully to being a bottom feeder looking for a fair deal (fingers-crossed still!).......I sold my 2010 back in 2013 and have been wanting to get back in for a couple of years.
Good luck Doug! I figured you would miss your 997.2 GT3 and eventually seek one out again :-)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:46 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
This is an out-and-out bold-faced lie. Nobody in the car business EVER prepays for shipping.
He was offering the car to a buyer and wanted it off the market so the buyer couldn't find it himself.

Shameless plug here - if you guys want to deal with a straightforward dealer, whether it's buying or selling, drop me a line. I know almost as much about GT3s as Mooty and more than anyone else. We have buyers, and we know what the market is. And we don't play games, but we also require that our clients don't either.
I have been a Doug/SwitchCars.com follower for something like 20 years!

I have sold him a GT3 and often check with him before getting my next GT3 to see if its something he would be interested in just in case (more like when) I figured I have had it long enough. Then I miss it and get another one.

Mooty knows this feeling/scenario all too well, he should write a book about it :-)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:03 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
... If you want to pull all the lowest data points, that's fine, but for the guys looking for a no-stories, low mile, nice-spec car, they are still six figures and then some all day long. I have plenty of recent data points on the other end of the spectrum.
The market has softened in the last 1-2 years, there's no denying that. But still, you get what you pay for, and the good ones command a premium, still.
well said Doug.

for the longest time, years in fact,.. (similar to DJN above) I felt like I wanted to buy in the lower price points, higher mileage,.. for a .2, ... but my "must-have checklist" included a few, very-specific options (combined together was proving very hard to find. my own unicorn so-to-say),.. that I almost gave up.
... would rather not buy at all,... verses compromise.
Then when it finally popped,... it didn't matter that it was $20K higher than what we were originally focusing on. The mileage (at 10k) was a bonus on one hand, but forced the higher price,... and we paid it. Took 36 hrs & it was in our garage (trailered it home 24+ hrs roundtrip).

Life is short.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-03-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: trailered it home
Old 03-03-2019, 04:15 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Take it from a guy who, in a previous life, bought a bottom-of-the-market 997.2 GT3: Don't.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

From an outsider's perspective who's keeping a loose eye on the market I find it amusing to see comments like "this isn't representative of the market" or "the right buyer wasn't there" everytime a .2 GT3 goes reserve not met at $90k on BAT (with all due respect Doug/Switchcars).

BAT might just be the most exposure you can get. Just about every car forum has a BAT thread. Listings get shared and passed along. If the "right buyer" isn't online, surely one his buddies is and would let him know.

It is possible that some Rennlisters might just have a sightly inflated idea of what those cars are worth, or if anything, of what they sell for in the outside world.

Sub 100k is not necessarily synonymous to bottom of the barrel.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Take it from a guy who, in a previous life, bought a bottom-of-the-market 997.2 GT3: Don't.
As someone who quietly waits for the right car to pop up, whats your story?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by limitedslip
From an outsider's perspective who's keeping a loose eye on the market I find it amusing to see comments like "this isn't representative of the market" or "the right buyer wasn't there" everytime a .2 GT3 goes reserve not met at $90k on BAT (with all due respect Doug/Switchcars).

BAT might just be the most exposure you can get. Just about every car forum has a BAT thread. Listings get shared and passed along. If the "right buyer" isn't online, surely one his buddies is and would let him know.

It is possible that some Rennlisters might just have a sightly inflated idea of what those cars are worth, or if anything, of what they sell for in the outside world.

You've got it Sir!

Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

agree. bat set my car at 88. it sold after auction for mid 80. I'm sure there some that might be worth more to some people .. but I do notice that if you say "so what's my 997 gt3 worth" the same dealer will tell you the gt3 world is crashing.. and in the nxt breath there stuff is top dollar.. guess that's "business ". I'd say just get what you want. assume its worth nothing to th nxt guy and enjoy it.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Rennlist, in a nut shell, not just the gt3 forums.

The fact that a large number of the gt3s on bat have not met reserve tells me that the sellers may not have had realistic pricing expectations for their cars. As previously mentioned, BAT brings the bidders, so not finding the right buyer is really not a realistic excuse.

That said, anyone who buys a german toy that used to be expensive should know that you are going to pay for it one way or another. As someone who has dumped money into cars that were purchased emotionally without proper due diligence, one should always know what they are getting and not simply look to find the cheapest example of what they are looking for.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

The market is the market. Wishing a car were worth $10k more doesn't make it so. Bunch of comments in the seller's thread saying exactly that on a RNM car. If the car isn't worth more on BAT, where is it going to find a buyer at a higher price? Anyone shopping a GT3 isn't some guy who fell off the turnip truck and walked into his local Chevy dealer looking to buy a Silverado, only to walk out with a GT3.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-12/
Old 03-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
Rennlist, in a nut shell, not just the gt3 forums.

The fact that a large number of the gt3s on bat have not met reserve tells me that the sellers may not have had realistic pricing expectations for their cars. As previously mentioned, BAT brings the bidders, so not finding the right buyer is really not a realistic excuse.

That said, anyone who buys a german toy that used to be expensive should know that you are going to pay for it one way or another. As someone who has dumped money into cars that were purchased emotionally without proper due diligence, one should always know what they are getting and not simply look to find the cheapest example of what they are looking for.
Agreed!

I also don't think that one needs to spend $120k for a clean example. Mid to high 90's is a good range, especially private party, as a dealer is likely to pay high 80's-low 90's for a car like this.

This one is $115k, and a nice build. Will someone pay that? It seems to have been on auction recently

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=233217952
Old 03-04-2019, 04:03 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
If the car isn't worth more on BAT, where is it going to find a buyer at a higher price?
Somewhere else. Every car that I've had go RNM on BaT has found a buyer at my needed price somewhere else, with the rare exception of a couple very obscure vehicles.

BaT is a wonderful venue. But they are very weak in certain types of vehicles, and the 997 GT3/RS is one of those. In the last year they have had a 30% sell rate on BaT, which is less than half of the site average. I listed two which did not even get within spitting distance of wholesale value (real, not theoretical/wishful).
In December 2017, I bought a 997 GT3 on BaT and sold it in less than a month for 10% more elsewhere.

It's the age old market discussion. The buyers say the sky is falling. The sellers say it's a bull market. The truth is somewhere in between, and to get a real picture of the market we have to consider data points which benefit both sides. It seems like every time a discussion like this comes up, it's the buyers picking the examples that benefit them the most, even though MOST people don't want the cars in the bottom 10% of the spectrum, and for good reason. Sure, you can get some scores in that bunch, but it's risky, and more often than not you get burned.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:28 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

When I thought about selling my 964 turbo on BaT, I checked the recently sold listings for similar cars and all of them were undervalued, IMO, by about $10-15K. I ended up selling private party and got much closer to my asking than I think I would have by their auction. BaT is a datapoint and not the end all be all.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 PM
motopt22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
When I thought about selling my 964 turbo on BaT, I checked the recently sold listings for similar cars and all of them were undervalued, IMO, by about $10-15K. I ended up selling private party and got much closer to my asking than I think I would have by their auction. BaT is a datapoint and not the end all be all.

BAT also has new competition in the Porsche marketplace. https://www.pcarmarket.com

I believe this site just went live this week, and I if successful will no doubt take BAT business on Porsche cars.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...